Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by DaveJFT
Hi again folks,

I changed my phone to a Nexus 6P and this issue seemed fixed but then, about a week or so ago, the TTS voices have gone very quiet again when "Play sound to phone speaker" is enabled. When disabled there is no problem with volume but as my phone connects to the car's built-in hands-free system via the radio voice instructions blare out of the car speakers. It's the same whichever voice I select. So I'm left with the choice - either no one hears the voice or everyone in the car has to suffer it.

What could have changed?
DaveJFT
Send a message

Post by DaveJFT
helifino206 wrote:I had a similar issue with a different app on a different phone - when selecting 'phone speaker' the sounds went out the handset earpiece rather than the loudspeaker on the back. Please check to see if this is what's happening.
No - that's not it. "Play sound to phone speaker" overrides the earpiece too. With it enabled no Waze sounds are played through the audio jack, only the phone speaker and that's still very quiet. Altering the phone volume on any connection, whether a Waze announcement is playing or not makes no difference at all.
DaveJFT
Send a message

Post by DaveJFT
MadHatterts wrote:I just discovered how to resolve the issue of low volume on Waze. Make a phone call and set the phone to speaker phone mode. Then turn the volume all the way up and then hang up. Waze will now play its voice navigation at full volume.
Dude! Thank you! This has been driving me mad over and over for months. You are a star - take a Thanks from me.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
DaveJFT
Send a message

Post by DogGrannie
I have the same problem. I listen to podcasts through a BT hands free device. Waze does interrupt to give directions, but the volume is so low I cannot hear them. Please fix!
DogGrannie
Send a message

Post by einshem1
I concur with everyone else. You have to increase the music/BT volume in the car so high in order to hear Waze that the music itself is way too loud.
einshem1
Send a message

Post by eric777777
I have found a trick: you run another gps app : like avertinoo.
Then you run waze and the sound volume is correct on waze.
eric777777
Send a message

Post by ezrider11
I placed a call, increased the in call volume, issue resolved ;-D
ezrider11
Send a message

Post by Franksbluevan
I am using a Samsung S8+ (Android) so is anyone following the suggestion from Waze about Bluetooth to change the the option to "Play sound to phone speaker". This is supposed to pause the music for Waze directions. This option will force the Waze directions to play from your phone speaker, my worry is that will also be hard to hear.

Just wondering if anyone is using this option and how is it working for you.
Franksbluevan
Send a message

Post by glieb50
Don't understand when you say "was displaying at full low volume and then immediately ramped up to full displayed volume". What does "full low volume mean"??
glieb50
Send a message

Post by Golfer116
phrab77 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:35 pm I think I found the solution. Change your sound setting to device the fault then exit Waze. Then start Waze and search for some address, any address. Have your finger ready on the volume up button. As soon as Waze starts to speak, press the volume up button. You will see that it was all the way down, for some reason that I don't know. You can put it all the way up.

This is a crazy fix, that worked. I have now used the above phrab77 solution to correct a low volume problem, for a second time. The last occasion was about 1 year ago and I could not remember exactly how to repair the condition. I had to search around for a while, before I could find this little gold nugget. This is the only post I have seen that corrected my problem.

The low volume description is almost too generous to describe how very very low the speaker volume is. My iPhone app has always been set to "default device" and it still is. I do not use BT or pair the iPhone with anything else in the car.  Just to elaborate on what I did, as directed in the OP, I set a location in the Waze app and as I hit the "GO" icon, I simultaneously hit the increase volume button on the iPhone13. You could immediately see that the iPhone volume was displaying at full low volume and then immediately ramped up to full displayed volume. Yes, the Waze app could now be clearly heard to provide directions, as it normally would.  Problem solved.

Golfer116
Send a message