Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Why So Low Volume Output?

Post by Bekrah
Why is the volume output so low when using Bluetooth in a automobile? I am using a aftermarket car stereo along with a iPhone 5 running the latest firmware. Im not jail broken by the way.
I have turned to another GPS app oppose to Waze because the Bluetooth volume output is so low with this app even with the volume turned up as loud as it can go within the settings but with other navigation apps it works fine.
I can barely hear the turn by turn navigation voice through my car stereo speakers when I'm using Waze but with the other GPS application I use, the navigation voice is loud and clear.

Is there a planned update to resolve this issue?

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/12/tusegusy.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/12/azuvepev.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Bekrah

POSTER_ID:5426254

Send a message
Bekure is the name, pronounced [beck-rah]

Post by Inactive user -1688630826-
I just discovered how to resolve the issue of low volume on Waze. Make a phone call and set the phone to speaker phone mode. Then turn the volume all the way up and then hang up. Waze will now play its voice navigation at full volume.
Inactive user -1688630826-
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Make sure the device volume slider stays at max when a sound is playing. when no sound is playing, the device slider is useless.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
BeKure wrote:Why would the device slider []inot[/i] stay at max level unless the software was buggy?
Because it depends on the sound output method. Unlike other audio-playing apps which seem to have a sound output open all the time, Waze doesn't. I believe in iOS, there is an output level defined by the OS for each output method: speaker, headphone, BT, dock. So the slider doesn't really know which one is going to be in use when a sound is playing. Because you could change to headphones later and then the level is different, and then you connect to BT and it's different again. The device volume slider in Waze is really rather useless, but it does cause problems because other apps can adjust the output volume too.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
BeKure wrote:Unfortunately the option to adjust the slider is not available in Waze when my iPhone is plugged into or connected via bluetooth to my car stereo.
Do you have "prefer bluetooth" selected because you want it to interrupt the radio or other audio source playing on your car stereo? If not, you can turn off prefer BT and if your phone is paired and connected to the stereo, it will play prompts over bluetooth streaming mode.

Prefer BT forces the headset-BT connection. This initiates the "phone call" connection to your car stereo. Many car stereos also have independent volume settings for audio inputs. My phone call volume setting is quite different from my FM radio or USB volume setting.

One last way to check out the Waze device output volume is to be at the main map screen. Wave your hand or 3-finger tap to bring up the voice commands prompt interface. Use the iPhone hardware buttons to increase the sound right then.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
BeKure wrote:It still didn't make a difference. Thank you for your input though.
I will stick with what works. Thanks again.
Your screenshot doesn't show you are in voice command mode.
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Wave your hand or 3-finger tap to bring up the voice commands prompt interface. Use the iPhone hardware buttons to increase the sound right then.
Otherwise, you are not adjusting the correct device volume. it still may make no difference, but just wanted to make sure you were following the proper workaround process.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
BeKure wrote:This the interface you referring to?
Yes. Adjust the volume with that onscreen.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AndyPoms
Try adjusting the volume during an Waze announcement.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by AndyPoms
I have no problems with my Nexus 6... The speaker is much louder than my old Nexus 5 and the Waze directions are at a great volume...

Which voice are you using?
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by atx_tarheel
my waze just started having this issue. before I could just use the volume buttons on iPhone to change the waze volume (screen has the speaker icon with bar). now if I push the volume buttons, the ringer volume adjustment shows on screen with the ring bell. so it's changing phone ring volume, not waze volume. I could open another app (such as youtube), and change volume there, which gets applies to waze.

this happened couple of days ago (seems waze had an update).
atx_tarheel
Send a message