These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Audio apps sometimes pause when waze is in use

Post by kjstech
iPhone 5 scenario:

Plug in iPhone to car's aux port using 3.5mm headphone jack.
Fire up an audio app like Slacker, SiriusXM and select music.
Fire up Waze and drive.

Come to a pit-stop (store, gas station, beer distributer, whatever), so you pull the 3.5mm jack out and the music app automatically senses this and pauses. Go about your business. Come back to the car, plug in 3.5mm jack, start vehicle. Go to music app and hit play (or unpause icon). Music plays. Now double tap home and select Waze to continue your trip. As soon as Waze is in focus the music stops!
Double tap home and scroll all the way to the left to the playback controls, hit pause to unpause it. Music is fine, but click above it to close the music controls and bring Waze into focus... the audio pauses again!

To fix. Kill Waze (double tap home and ensure you close it out completely).
Go into music app and play music again.
Exit to home screen.
Open Waze.
Select continue navigation when prompted.

Any way this could be fixed?
kjstech

POSTER_ID:6816747

Send a message
PA, USA - iPhone XS Max - Latest WAZE from the App Store - Map Editor Level 1 - Royalty Wazer

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
kjstech wrote:So I have to double tap home and press and hold the waze icon in the running programs list to force close it.
No, use the built-in Main Menu->Switch Off. That's the only proper way to exit Waze. Unlike many other apps, Waze is made to run in the background at all times.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by kjstech
I always just hit the home button.

So then when I get back into the car, I start music and open waze again (from its icon on my first page OR by double tapping home and selecting it from the running programs). The music fades out once Waze is fully in view.

So I have to double tap home and press and hold the waze icon in the running programs list to force close it. Sounds like your suggestion would accomplish me closing out of the app entirely the first time at the pit stop, rather than having to force close and reopen it upon getting back out on my departure. I'll try that.
kjstech
Send a message
PA, USA - iPhone XS Max - Latest WAZE from the App Store - Map Editor Level 1 - Royalty Wazer

Post by kjstech
Ok, I started doing that and system stability seems much better. Good tip.

I'm not sure what causes the music to fade out and pause. Not sure if its IOS, Waze or the music application. I mostly use SiriusXM or Slacker. I think Pandora exhibited the problem as well. I'll have to try it with iTunes music loaded on the phone itself. I generally use internet streaming music apps to keep the music diverse and fresh, but I have 3 albums loaded onto the phone.
kjstech
Send a message

Post by sketch
When you come to the pit-stop, do you exit Waze using the home button, or do you quit from the main menu?

I had a similar problem for a short time, but I haven't for a while. Generally, you want to quit Waze from the menu when you are stopped somewhere. It's also a good idea to wait about 10 seconds after starting music before you start Waze up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
This isn't a technical explanation, but what seems to be happening basically is that USB audio connections are unstable when first initiated, and the parties have to concentrate to get it started right. If your phone is still trying to stabilize the USB connection and Waze starts trying to talk over it, it sometimes gets overwhelmed and gives up.

When Waze is still running, it's still using a pretty large amount of resources, so the phone has a harder time setting up the USB connection properly. That's why you were force-quitting. The "switch-off" button also frees up resources for music and has its advantages over force-quitting.

This happened to me using music stored on the phone for sure. That's most of what I listen to in the car. I also listen to Spotify occasionally, but it's not streaming that's the problem, I don't think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!