These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Best option/s to show roadside features?

Post by thingumybob
I would appreciate guidance on the best ways to highlight for other users (i.e. not just as my own favourites) what I may believe to be interesting places. I suspect they may be considered as some form of POI (see examples below) but I cannot see how to either mark them on maps or to use some other app (e.g. Foursquare?). I am thinking of roadside points such as:

- viewpoint
- souvenir stall
- honey sellers
- food sellers
- cafes
- pubs
- good travellers' stops
- petrol stations in remote areas
- interesting site to stop and look at
etc.

As you can see I already have seen a variety of places that I suspect would be interesting to some road-goers. The intention I have is NOT to post every POI possible e.g. NOT a tourist site such as a castle hidden in the middle of a forest, but only those things that one would stop at a roadside or take a very short "diversion" to take advantage of. I guess in a sense they are a sort of "My Public Favourites". There are many things just to see as you drive and it would be fun to be able to share some of these (I have taken some inspiration from a series of books in the US called [State Name] Roadside Geology" which have made many of my trips richer by pointing out interesting aspects of the raodside environment as I am driving.

I have looked through Wazeo far have not found a mechanism. Would this be done directly into Waze (how) or rather via an [EASY!] interaction with some other POI service-provider?
thingumybob

POSTER_ID:15970424

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
A castle in the middle of a forest is more likely to be a useful POI than a "honey seller." In general, none of those items except gas/petrol stations are good for Waze. Other POI databases external to Waze are appropriate.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
thingumybob wrote:I use 4Square but it is not integrated into Waze. Plus why should Waze need to be dependent on another service to provide a core feature like POI?
What do you mean by "not integrated"? Just that they POIs don't show on the map? Because 4sq results do appear in searches. To the 2nd question, because they already exist and are exponentially more mature than Waze's. Waze doesn't even have a POI database. Just Landmarks which are not the same thing.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
You are saying there are other GPS navigation apps which allow you to create a POI at any location which is the visible and searchable by ALL users of that GPS system? What app is that?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by thingumybob
My intended focus is "roadside" rather than off road :-) . The comment is not aimed at making this an app for tourism (but maybe that will change with Google). So castles in forests don't apply (unless they are on the roadside!). At a minimum as personal reminders but also as social sharing there are 1000s of roadside features that make travelling a more pleasant experience. Like viewpoints. Especially viewpoints with (official) toilets :-) Better POI options would really make Waze a Killer App
thingumybob
Send a message
Last edited by thingumybob on Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by thingumybob
I use 4Square but it is not integrated into Waze. Plus why should Waze need to be dependent on another service to provide a core feature like POI?
thingumybob
Send a message

Post by thingumybob
I accept that there is no point in competing with POI services like 4Square. However the ability to touch a single icon to add some form of POI at position of the traveller's cursor is on GPS apps I started using at least 2 years ago. Sure, if the mechanism behind the POI registering process is 4Square (or maybe a definable choice) that's OK. I am talking more or an easy, intuitive, practical one touch option to add POI. As to 4Square I want a way for notications to be pushed under my nose (and to be able to be switched off!). Maybe I have missed it but I haven't spotted that I can do that within Waze itself? Is it for me to separately login to 4Square? Now please be aware that this isn't criticism but a strongly felt "need", one if fulfilled would make Waze unbeatable for me :-)
thingumybob
Send a message

Post by thingumybob
Aaah, you "stretched" my reply a bit :grin: I used Maverick, amongst others, to keep track of interesting (to me) spots. Basically my personal POI collection. But it can't share easily, and it IS the sharing of POI bit I'd love Waze to resolve for me. And if it is done using an existing social network that's fine by me (for off road I now tend to use Backcountry)
thingumybob
Send a message