These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Anonymous Reporting

Post by AJVB
I've been using Waze for about 3 or 4 days now and during this time I have reported a few hazards and traffic situations as I had came across them. Tonight I reported a hazard on the freeway and a few minutes later I pulled over to check, and it showed as being reported by 'Anonymous'. This is odd as I am logged under my username and I do NOT have the invisible mode activated.

When I got home I check the report list in the app and my report completely disappeared. Other reports from other users were still showing. Being that I am still a new user, is my account under some type of probation period?
AJVB

POSTER_ID:16205367

Send a message

Post by AJVB
Hazard reports can be closed by other wazers by clicking the "Not there" button. If the hazard is still there, they might give you a thumbs up to say thanks for the heads up.
Makes sense, it was a stopped vehicle on the shoulder which most likely was temporary. I guess there are more wazers in my city than I thought (and one apparently right behind me)!
Waze recently adjusted their pirvacy settings which is showing a lot of users invisible to others. This may also be affecting of the reporting function as well. Waze is currently trying to fix this, so in the future (no eta) reports will not show up as anonymous if you do not choose to be invisible.
I figured it had to be a server issue of some sort. This was the first report that I went back to check, so I'm not sure how my previous reports showed up. On my next report I will definitely check again and see what shows up.
AJVB
Send a message

Post by AJVB
davipt wrote:
AJVB wrote:
Hazard reports can be closed by other wazers by clicking the "Not there" button. If the hazard is still there, they might give you a thumbs up to say thanks for the heads up.
Makes sense, it was a stopped vehicle on the shoulder which most likely was temporary. I guess there are more wazers in my city than I thought (and one apparently right behind me)!
"Stopped vehicle on the shoulder" is usually abused by people reporting every single car stopped on the shoulder *outside the lane*, hence in no hazard situation at all, and those are typically closed quickly with the not there because it's *NOT* an hazard.
Either it's a car half on the lane that forces people to slow down and hence a real hazard, or it's a police in disguise and hence a police (hidden probably). A car outside the lane is NOT an hazard!
I disagree. I've been in numerous situations where a freeway has almost come to a complete standstill all because someone in a broken down car on the shoulder. Anything on the shoulder of a freeway that causes people to slow down and look is a hazard.

I myself was stopped on a shoulder once. It actually wasn't the shoulder but an old toll turn off that wasn't being used anymore. I could look over to the freeway at people slowing down and looking at me, and I was no where near the main travel lanes. I was a hazard.

It also is enough hazard for Waze to include it as an option when reporting.
AJVB
Send a message

Post by AJVB
sunglowfly wrote:waiting for your check
I haven't had the opportunity to make an individual report, but I did today comment on a traffic accident report from another wazer and the comment showed under my username. So it must have been a server issue earlier.
AJVB
Send a message

Post by AJVB
davipt wrote:
AJVB wrote:
davipt wrote:"Stopped vehicle on the shoulder" is usually abused by people reporting every single car stopped on the shoulder *outside the lane*, hence in no hazard situation at all, and those are typically closed quickly with the not there because it's *NOT* an hazard.
Either it's a car half on the lane that forces people to slow down and hence a real hazard, or it's a police in disguise and hence a police (hidden probably). A car outside the lane is NOT an hazard!
I disagree. I've been in numerous situations where a freeway has almost come to a complete standstill all because someone in a broken down car on the shoulder. Anything on the shoulder of a freeway that causes people to slow down and look is a hazard.
Nope, you agree with me :lol:. You gave an example of a car on the shoulder, outside the lane, that is still a hazard on your specific context. People doing the reports should know the place and understand if a car stopped like that will be prone to people getting curious and slowing down, or even people thinking it's police and slowing down, both real hazard cases.

My point is a comparison with redlight cameras. Only some (or none in my country) are really redlight cameras, but people tend to report every single red-light.

Those non-hazards are the ones that I see disappearing quite fast due to others clicking on the "not there". I can imagine people will be thrilled with the alert, first because there ain't too many, and then get disappointed when crossing it because they'd expect either an accident with the cars already outside of the road, or a police car, and discover some regular guy with a broken down car, or worse, a car stopped for the driver to make a call, in plain freeway :roll:
You flipped flopped. You stated twice (in your previous post) that a car outside of the lane is NOT a hazard, and now you're saying it is. All I am saying is if waze has a type of hazard listed in their reporting function (and they do have 'vehicle stopped on the shoulder' listed) it's fair game and reportable, no matter how minor it is. Because hazards on the road come in all shapes, sizes and situations.
AJVB
Send a message

Post by AJVB
davipt wrote:
AJVB wrote:You flipped flopped. You stated twice (in your previous post) that a car outside of the lane is NOT a hazard, and now you're saying it is. All I am saying is if waze has a type of hazard listed in their reporting function (and they do have 'vehicle stopped on the shoulder' listed) it's fair game and reportable, no matter how minor it is. Because hazards on the road come in all shapes, sizes and situations.
davipt wrote:Stopped vehicle on the shoulder" is usually abused by people reporting every single car stopped on the shoulder *outside the lane*, hence in no hazard situation at all,
The report is called Hazard. If it's not an hazard to the people passing by, it shall not be reported, whatever the item is called.
A car stopped outside a lane in a well designed freeway is by definition not a hazard, but if you know in your country people will cause themselves a hazard in the middle of the freeway just because there is a car stopped, then of course it shall be reported.
No sense in going back and forth, I'm just going to chalk this up to different driving cultures as we are in two different countries. I've driven on both the east and west coast of the United States and anything that is stopped on the freeway, whether it's well designed or not, is a hazard. This is why emergency personnel clear car accidents or fender benders quickly, because anything on the side of the road that takes the attention of the driver, is a hazard.
AJVB
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
AJVB wrote:You flipped flopped. You stated twice (in your previous post) that a car outside of the lane is NOT a hazard, and now you're saying it is. All I am saying is if waze has a type of hazard listed in their reporting function (and they do have 'vehicle stopped on the shoulder' listed) it's fair game and reportable, no matter how minor it is. Because hazards on the road come in all shapes, sizes and situations.
I think it's a judgement call. I tend to not report as a hazard unless it's within a few feet of the roadside. But if it is 10-12' off the road, it clearly isn't a hazard and even if people are slowing down, I don't believe it warrants being marked as such. You may feel otherwise and that's the nature of crowdsourcing. :) In one minute, the next Wazer behind you may feel your marked hazard is not a hazard and has the option to mark it Not There. That's the nature of crowdsourcing. :)
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by CTGreybeard
For me if it's a highway and some vehicle is stopped on the shoulder I report it regardless of whether it impedes traffic or not. The shoulder is not for Parking, it is for Emergency Use Only and if some vehicle is there it is a Hazard by definition. On local streets I only report Vehicle On Shoulder if some portion of the vehicle overlaps the roadway by any amount. If it overlaps by a LOT then it's an Obstruction and gets reported as such.

I view Vehicle Stopped On Shoulder has an advisory to other Wazers. After all, there may be people around or other vehicles (wreckers, good samaritans, etc.) approaching.

I'd rather have the warning and have it turn out to be nothing than come upon some dangerous situation by surprise.
CTGreybeard
Send a message

Post by fvwazing
Of course, with 99% of Wazers never reading this forum and its advice, what is a hazard or not comes down to what 99% of users FEEL is a hazard or not. Live with it! ;-)
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by fvwazing
If anything is to be done about those 99%, it should be done in the tutorial video. Alas there is more attention for its cuteness than for factual content...

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/24/u4e4ady5.jpg

...like reporting cute policecars, and not some lasergun/mobile radar.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1