These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Iphone app, police alerts when screen is off?

Post by cejay
I have noticed this in the older version and latest iphone Waze app.
The Waze app is running in the background but the screen is black on my iphone (locked).
I always leave my display off to converse battery.

I see a police trap and know it is reported on waze, the MOMENT I turn my display on and waze reopens the phone speaker says POLICE ALERT AHEAD and i get the popup to press thumbs up, etc.

I know I have heard alerts before, and also spoken directions before (am in alerts only mode now)..
but do i HAVE to leave my iphone display on LIVE and visually have it open to get these alerts?
I do have it in navigation mode to my destination and i have event radius set to ON ROUTE.

I would love to get alerts without the display being on live to save battery, but I can leave it on and have the autolock feature toggle to make the phone not black out the display if this is needed.

I usually rely on the speaker telling me of the alert (like trapster does) even with the display off,
and thought Waze worked this way in the past, but just wanted to make sure of what mode I should leave my phone in (display on/off) to hear the alerts in TIME, in the future.

I had almost driven past the alerts (there were 3 in one area with 3 people reporting it a bit off by seconds driving), and I would really like to know about these before the alert is in site (like 1 mile away etc.) I think it is just me turning the display on and the program waking up that is reporting the alerts when i view the screen again. Am I wrong?
cejay

POSTER_ID:4571

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
This issue has come up many times recently, so I've posted a request to Bugzilla for visibility and for those who have the ability to vote, to do so.

https://bugs.waze.com/show_bug.cgi?id=5559
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
piggynuts wrote:Has this gone anywhere? This is a must-have feature and most likely very easy to implement, please help us !
It's pretty clear it hasn't. I doubt 80%+ of Waze users are in this situation.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

andrewbrimberry
Send a message

Post by GarciaBH78
Same here, Nexus 4 Android... Any news?
GarciaBH78
Send a message

Post by jhatzis99
I would really like this feature if for no other reason that Waze is a HUGE battery drain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jhatzis99
Send a message

Post by pleasereport
Has this gone anywhere? This is a must-have feature and most likely very easy to implement, please help us !
pleasereport
Send a message

Post by shaleck
I have this same issue with Android app... does anybody have a response to this?
shaleck
Send a message

Post by shaleck
It doesn't look like this update has made it to 3.7.6
Does that mean it will never be incorporated into the app or should we keep pressing for this issue?
shaleck
Send a message