How about adding Traffic Lights/Signals

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

How about adding Traffic Lights/Signals

Postby Ajaydkulkarni » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:20 am

I request you to also capture and display the traffic lights/signals wherever they are. You can also request users to mark the traffic lights spot so as to populate them faster.

Rgds
Ajay
Ajaydkulkarni

Re: How about adding Traffic Lights/Signals

Postby Ajaydkulkarni » Tue May 01, 2012 6:41 am

That was a wonderful interaction on this forum on my suggession. Honestly, I also did not think about all what was expressed. When I threw the topic on the forum, the only thoughts in my mind were
1. It will help "landmarking" when we give directions (I am from Mumbai, India). We Indians have habit of asking for directions, rather than checking on maps (As maps have been not easily accessible and not updated). So when someone asks, we give directions with help of landmarks and relative distance/direction from the same. e.g. 3 rd left turn from the temple or go straight ahead and turn right on 2nd traffic lights. So bringing on lights will benefit in giving directions

2. Second was factoring in the time one will have to wait at lights which will improve the accuracy of ETA. (However, I understood later, that this has already been taken care of.

Thanks for a very very informative dialogue and diverse points of view with which I agree because, I am a wazer on one side and also managing IT on another. So best is balance between both. Best of luck to Waze.

Rgds
Ajay
Ajaydkulkarni

Postby anand999 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:47 pm

I'd love to see traffic lights added, just for the fact that traffic lights can make a big difference in how long a certain route takes. A route that takes a mile or two longer may actually be quicker if you hit fewer traffic lights than the shorter route.

I don't expect Waze to use traffic lights when it calculates routing because there are way too many variables (e.g. some lights behave differently depending on the time of day). However, it would be awesome if you could draw a route manually and then have Waze tell you the total distance and how many lights you'd encounter.
anand999

Postby Atlas85 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:04 pm

I don’t know where Ajaydkulkarni is from, but most of the crossings here are WAY TOO complicated to also add traffic lights. This would destroy cartouche, as this would mess up complete sections and crossings. Many of our junctions/crossroads have over 15 traffic lights, and than also separate traffic lights for buses or tram etc. Taking a left or right turn is also not influenced by whether there are or aren’t any traffic lights present. You have to make the turn anyway.
Atlas85

Postby Atlas85 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:47 am

I totally agree on the speed limit per segment, but the traffic lights: I just don't see the point. How does it improve navigation? How does it contribute to Waze? The average time it costs to navigate from point a to b is taken in consideration already by the software, how would this enhance this feature?
Atlas85

Postby bgodette » Wed May 02, 2012 12:25 am

fvwazing wrote:it would not be necessary to record trafficlights or tedious turns if Waze learned speeds of segments taking into account the next segment traversed.

Which presumably it does, assuming the answer I got from them at the Palo Alto Wazemeet was to a correctly understood question: "Does Waze differentiate between the time it takes to make a turn vs going straight through a junction". I asked that question because I've been given various routes in certain areas that will change based on time of day. These areas have controlled left turns that go to timed vs demand sequencing between certain hours, so depending on when I'd reach a certain intersection Waze would have me either continue and make a uncontrolled left, instead of waiting the 2+ minutes for the next controlled left. Waze's routing continues to do this as far as I can tell.

According to Waze, routing takes into account the current segment, junction, and next segment, basically "transit time through the junction", which would result in different transit times for going straight, and making turns, with left/right being biased against depending on left vs right hand drive.

However I agree with Jason in that it would be really helpful if we could mark certain turns as "legal, but a really bad idea" as a hint to the routing server. With enough historical data, this isn't a problem, but there's a catch-22 in that the majority of users have more than air filling the space between their ears and will not take a clearly bad route and Waze will take a very long time collecting that data.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby briandb1222 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:11 am

Atlas85 wrote:I don’t know where Ajaydkulkarni is from, but most of the crossings here are WAY TOO complicated to also add traffic lights. This would destroy cartouche, as this would mess up complete sections and crossings. Many of our junctions/crossroads have over 15 traffic lights, and than also separate traffic lights for buses or tram etc. Taking a left or right turn is also not influenced by whether there are or aren’t any traffic lights present. You have to make the turn anyway.

It would not destroy...all intersections are the same. You can either turn left or right, sometimes though, there is the odd intersection, but that's not very often, and it wouldn't mess anything up. The only difference is, the voice routing would go "At the next traffic light, turn left.' Here in the USA, we typically have 4 lights, sometimes 5...sometimes.

I don't know why you would want to add 15 traffic lights to an intersection anyways. You'd just need one light per intersection and it would apply to all streets that connect (or even, you could be able to set which streets the light doesn't effect).

I've seen this done to other GPS units, and it works, (except the voice routing doesn't mention the light...it was there so you would know it was there.

Voice routing that includes traffic lights would simplify things (and even if they did stop signs as well), and get you to destination faster. Less time you spend looking at those hard-to-see street signs, and its easy to count traffic lights and stop signs.
Area Manager: Grand Prairie, TX
Waze phone: iPhone 3GS 4.1 iOS
briandb1222

Postby briandb1222 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:16 am

fvwazing wrote:For all that it's worth: Waze recognizes TL right now. Stopping, waiting near a junction, different waitingtimes for going in different directions. What more do you need? Ok, you do not hear directions like "at the next trafficlight, go right" but that would not justify the extra trouble, in my opinion.

Not really. The traffic jam reported at an intersection may not be always due to a traffic light. Could have been traffic due to a wreck, or cops arresting someone. A traffic jam at an intersection may not automatically register to the user as a traffic light, and, traffic data is reflected by previous users that have taken that route recently, so it is not very accurate.
briandb1222

Postby briandb1222 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:03 am

Adding traffic lights is beneficial, for one, the Wazer will know which intersection has lights at (just a heads up, yeah.) Also, some people DO give directions by traffic lights. Maybe the destination isn't found on Waze, but someone tells the Wazer to go through Unicorn Lane and Shut the H Up Blvd. Well, guess what, it is safer to see if those two streets are traffic light controlled, then for the Wazer to be looking at his GPS the whole time trying to find the streets that person gave him. Now, finding those two streets, and the Wazer sees they are traffic controlled, he would now know to pass two lights before turning into his destination...he would not have to look at his GPS so much to be sure he is on track.

My point? Be sure you know where you are going first. GPS is only there to guide you, not drive for you. Also, what if traffic jam is clear even though GPS shows it is still there? Its re-routing could have made you take longer. You are playing 50/50 by going fully by the GPS. I notice this a lot in residential areas, where it reports a avg speed of 0 mph, when in fact there is no traffic...at all.
briandb1222

Postby camcamnz » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:55 am

I tend to agree about adding traffic lights for the exact reason everyone is saying it wont work.
Namely H, # and all other name of varieties of intersections, all of which are usually controlled by lights.
Waze currently has a landmark type for 'junction' but as far as I know this exhibits no special behavior, it would be great to be able to draw a 'box' for the intersection and set it as a set of traffic lights.
This way there would only be one junction/node (instead of the 4+) and all roads could be accurately drawn going in and out of the 'box' without worrying about free turns etc.
All GPS tracks inside this box would be effectively ignored, as long as the tracks enter the box on a valid road, and leave it on another valid road, rather than the roads being moved towards the turn that most users take etc.

The voice navigation would be an excellent bonus, and in regards to it being a nuisance because it is out of date, isn't the whole point of waze to basically have the most up to date maps and routing information around?

On a side note, I think that this would have to be a pre-cursor to any sort of lane guidance if they introduce it at any stage, as you would have to have a way to define which lanes can drive in which direction at the lights.
Thanks
camcamnz
Area Manager South Island, New Zealand
camcamnz

Next

Return to Waze App