How about adding Traffic Lights/Signals

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: How about adding Traffic Lights/Signals

Postby jvdmeer » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:49 am

fvwazing wrote:For all that it's worth: Waze recognizes TL right now. Stopping, waiting near a junction, different waitingtimes for going in different directions. What more do you need? Ok, you do not hear directions like "at the next trafficlight, go right" but that would not justify the extra trouble, in my opinion.

I hear all new positive things about Waze, but where are all these characteristics mentioned?
I mean, I heard last week Waze uses .5 hour-blocks for avg speed determiniation. Now I hear Waze uses the average waiting time for different directions.

These are very good points, why don't you shout this from the rooftops? (literally translated from a dutch expression)

PS: What about someone mentioning on the forum, that there is a 5-sec penalty for each junction you pass?
PS: Is there an Wiki page (or an forum post) with all the rules used for routing?
Areamanager: Haaglanden, NL en beheerder van Usernotez!
jvdmeer

Postby jvdmeer » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:47 am

waynemcdougall wrote:
jvdmeer wrote:[...]

PS: Is there an Wiki page (or an forum post) with all the rules used for routing?

Your wish is granted

http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/How_ ... tes_routes

You're an example of the strength of a community. Thanks for this page.
jvdmeer

Postby jvdmeer » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:22 pm

@mizter6

you should've read the posting op fvwazing. He tells that waze uses a waitingtime that depends on the turn you're going to make.
jvdmeer

Postby libora » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:48 am

I think, that Ajaydkulkarni mean show crossroads/road junctions with and without traffic lights in client
HTC EVO 3D a Waze 3.6.0 for Android
Informace pro editory, Přehledné video v angličtině
libora

Postby libora » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:28 am

Atlas85: yes, every traffic light would destroy cartouche, but I think that info in junction if this one is with traffic light (Yes/Not) is adequate.
On other hand I think we need more others (and more more important) infos in waze - e.g. speed limit on each segment, number of lines in each directions etc.
HTC EVO 3D a Waze 3.6.0 for Android
Informace pro editory, Přehledné video v angličtině
libora

Postby mizter6 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:44 am

traffic lights are needed on waze for turn purposes. Waze accounts for traffic lights if your just going straight through the intersection. This is because of average speed includes people waiting at stop lights from time to time. But this does not account for making a left turn (for you brits, right turns) at the stop light. That needs to be a much heavier cost of a penalty (yes, I have seen red lights go longer than a minute!). Right turns may need a very small penalty.
mizter6

Postby mizter6 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:48 pm

There is a different traffic flow for people making turns at stop signs and traffic lights. you can find yourself wasting more time at a traffic light turn than a stop sign and turning. Waze currently does not calculate that in, and that can change and make routes more efficient.

In block/urban cities, for the most part average speed is roughly the same for most streets and intersection, but make a turn can have drastic different wait times. This is where identifying traffic lights will help! Once that is established, waze can then choose to recalculate people who make turns on these intersections and establish a separate speed average for people make a right or left turn.
mizter6

Postby nnote » Tue May 01, 2012 6:02 pm

I think it would be a huge project, but I think it would be nice to have waze now where traffic lights are.
There's one place particular I go the waze sends me down a certain street, which is fine, but I need to turn left at the next street which is a major junction without a light. I always skip this and go to the next street where I can turn left at a light where it's much safer.
It would make since for waze to route you left only at intersections (at major roads atleast) where there is a traffic light
L6 Area Manager Arizona, : USA L6 CM, USA
G+ Waze Arizona
nnote
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby QuickOK » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:00 am

Could you elaborate a bit more on this? I don't understand.
QuickOK

Postby QuickOK » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:45 am

How would this enhance voice routing? Something like "At the traffic light, turn right."? How would this proposed inclusion be depicted? A bunch of pins or dots just doesn't appeal to me at every intersection that has a light.

Just saying...
QuickOK

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App