How about adding Traffic Lights/Signals

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: How about adding Traffic Lights/Signals

Postby camcamnz » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:55 am

I tend to agree about adding traffic lights for the exact reason everyone is saying it wont work.
Namely H, # and all other name of varieties of intersections, all of which are usually controlled by lights.
Waze currently has a landmark type for 'junction' but as far as I know this exhibits no special behavior, it would be great to be able to draw a 'box' for the intersection and set it as a set of traffic lights.
This way there would only be one junction/node (instead of the 4+) and all roads could be accurately drawn going in and out of the 'box' without worrying about free turns etc.
All GPS tracks inside this box would be effectively ignored, as long as the tracks enter the box on a valid road, and leave it on another valid road, rather than the roads being moved towards the turn that most users take etc.

The voice navigation would be an excellent bonus, and in regards to it being a nuisance because it is out of date, isn't the whole point of waze to basically have the most up to date maps and routing information around?

On a side note, I think that this would have to be a pre-cursor to any sort of lane guidance if they introduce it at any stage, as you would have to have a way to define which lanes can drive in which direction at the lights.
Thanks
camcamnz
Area Manager South Island, New Zealand
camcamnz

Postby Ajaydkulkarni » Tue May 01, 2012 6:41 am

That was a wonderful interaction on this forum on my suggession. Honestly, I also did not think about all what was expressed. When I threw the topic on the forum, the only thoughts in my mind were
1. It will help "landmarking" when we give directions (I am from Mumbai, India). We Indians have habit of asking for directions, rather than checking on maps (As maps have been not easily accessible and not updated). So when someone asks, we give directions with help of landmarks and relative distance/direction from the same. e.g. 3 rd left turn from the temple or go straight ahead and turn right on 2nd traffic lights. So bringing on lights will benefit in giving directions

2. Second was factoring in the time one will have to wait at lights which will improve the accuracy of ETA. (However, I understood later, that this has already been taken care of.

Thanks for a very very informative dialogue and diverse points of view with which I agree because, I am a wazer on one side and also managing IT on another. So best is balance between both. Best of luck to Waze.

Rgds
Ajay
Ajaydkulkarni

Postby nnote » Tue May 01, 2012 6:02 pm

I think it would be a huge project, but I think it would be nice to have waze now where traffic lights are.
There's one place particular I go the waze sends me down a certain street, which is fine, but I need to turn left at the next street which is a major junction without a light. I always skip this and go to the next street where I can turn left at a light where it's much safer.
It would make since for waze to route you left only at intersections (at major roads atleast) where there is a traffic light
USA Territories Regional Coordinator : USA Champ : L6 State Manager Arizona
G+ Waze Arizona
Waze Arizona Twitter
nnote
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Tue May 01, 2012 9:20 pm

Having done a lot of editing around Los Angeles,!i think it would be a good idea to be able to mark uncontrolled left turns.

There are a lot of places where a left turn is technically legal but impossible most of the time due to traffic.

I'm not drunk...I'm using Tapatalk.
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
South-Central Regional Coordinator
(LA/MS/AR...contact karlcr9911 for TX/OK related issues)
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice
Ask me about Louisiana Editors Chat in Google Hangouts!
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby fvwazing » Tue May 01, 2012 10:13 pm

it would not be necessary to record trafficlights or tedious turns if Waze learned speeds of segments taking into account the next segment traversed.
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby bgodette » Wed May 02, 2012 12:25 am

fvwazing wrote:it would not be necessary to record trafficlights or tedious turns if Waze learned speeds of segments taking into account the next segment traversed.

Which presumably it does, assuming the answer I got from them at the Palo Alto Wazemeet was to a correctly understood question: "Does Waze differentiate between the time it takes to make a turn vs going straight through a junction". I asked that question because I've been given various routes in certain areas that will change based on time of day. These areas have controlled left turns that go to timed vs demand sequencing between certain hours, so depending on when I'd reach a certain intersection Waze would have me either continue and make a uncontrolled left, instead of waiting the 2+ minutes for the next controlled left. Waze's routing continues to do this as far as I can tell.

According to Waze, routing takes into account the current segment, junction, and next segment, basically "transit time through the junction", which would result in different transit times for going straight, and making turns, with left/right being biased against depending on left vs right hand drive.

However I agree with Jason in that it would be really helpful if we could mark certain turns as "legal, but a really bad idea" as a hint to the routing server. With enough historical data, this isn't a problem, but there's a catch-22 in that the majority of users have more than air filling the space between their ears and will not take a clearly bad route and Waze will take a very long time collecting that data.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby fvbommel » Wed May 02, 2012 6:43 am

bgodette wrote:However I agree with Jason in that it would be really helpful if we could mark certain turns as "legal, but a really bad idea" as a hint to the routing server. With enough historical data, this isn't a problem, but there's a catch-22 in that the majority of users have more than air filling the space between their ears and will not take a clearly bad route and Waze will take a very long time collecting that data.

Well, if users fairly consistently ignore Waze's suggestion to take a certain turn (optionally: at a certain time of day), shouldn't that also be pretty interesting data? :)
fvbommel

Postby fvwazing » Wed May 02, 2012 7:39 pm

Great to hear that it now works that way!

fvbommel wrote:
bgodette wrote:However I agree with Jason in that it would be really helpful if we could mark certain turns as "legal, but a really bad idea" as a hint to the routing server. With enough historical data, this isn't a problem, but there's a catch-22 in that the majority of users have more than air filling the space between their ears and will not take a clearly bad route and Waze will take a very long time collecting that data.

Well, if users fairly consistently ignore Waze's suggestion to take a certain turn (optionally: at a certain time of day), shouldn't that also be pretty interesting data? :)

In the past, I have conducted tests that seem to suggest that Waze DOES use that. The preference for a turn WAS decremented to the point where it simply would not get suggested anymore. Because I ignored the turn on consecutive days around the same time the turn was not suggested at that time of day for some time after... But I did that test as we still had daily updates, currently the lag in the system makes this... different. Also, it could be that ONE wazer using an often ignored turn resets all negative preference.
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing
Country Manager
Country Manager

Previous

Return to Waze App