I know how to go to work!

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: I know how to go to work!

Postby Bluebird855 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:21 am

I see your point.

Perhaps a fourth state for alerts? :)

Probably just as good for me would be if the app would produce the "recalculating" sound when it finds a better route. After all, that is just what it did-- it recalculated and found a new, better route.

Has this suggestion been considered or discussed? I wanted to start a new discussion to request that the 'recalculating route' tone be sounded even when the Sounds are set to 'Alerts Only'. This would let me know when I have taken a wrong turn or missed a turn, before I have driven too far off route.
Bluebird855

Postby AndyPoms » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:37 am

paragonaz wrote:
harling wrote:
AndyPoms wrote:I will chime in here with the new three-stage mute button. The options are All On/Alerts Only/All Off. This way using the "Alerts Only" option, you can be navigating to work, but Waze won't tell you to turn left/right, only alert you about hazards/traffic on the route.

Usability: I always thought it would be very helpful if Waze would not only alert you to traffic or hazards, but then tell you whether (and how) it has adjusted your route from what it otherwise would have recommended. Otherwise, "Alerts Only" will tell me there is a problem ahead, but now I have to keep my eye on the display in case Waze wants to "silently" re-route me.

Exactly!!! I just posted a similar request to turn off Nav Audio but leave Alerts on.. I hope someone is listening : -)

Please search before posting - in Waze there is a three stage mute button (hit menu, then look for the speaker icon). The three steps are "All On", "All Off" and "Alerts Only".
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby paragonaz » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:48 am

harling wrote:
AndyPoms wrote:I will chime in here with the new three-stage mute button. The options are All On/Alerts Only/All Off. This way using the "Alerts Only" option, you can be navigating to work, but Waze won't tell you to turn left/right, only alert you about hazards/traffic on the route.

Usability: I always thought it would be very helpful if Waze would not only alert you to traffic or hazards, but then tell you whether (and how) it has adjusted your route from what it otherwise would have recommended. Otherwise, "Alerts Only" will tell me there is a problem ahead, but now I have to keep my eye on the display in case Waze wants to "silently" re-route me.

Exactly!!! I just posted a similar request to turn off Nav Audio but leave Alerts on.. I hope someone is listening : -)
paragonaz

Postby moogonk » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:22 pm

xstewiex99 wrote:waze does not actually learn your route, that is misleading it only refers to you home and work options.

To be clear: Waze isn't learning your route, it is learning your destination. It may choose a different route every time you go to a destination, based on traffic, etc.
moogonk
State Manager
State Manager

Postby omba_de » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:20 pm

CBenson wrote:
xstewiex99 wrote:waze does not actually learn your route, that is misleading it only refers to you home and work options.

Misleading - Yes, as waze is only learning your frequent destinations. Refers only to home and work options - No, waze used to route me automatically to church each Sunday. Waze recently changed to route me to the coffee shop I've started going to before church.

I can confirm that!
Ich 2 possible routes for my commute. It's no difference in time. It depends on my mood which one i choose. After taking like 3-5 (never really counted) waze uses this route as default... After taking 3-5 times the other one... It's set back to default...
omba_de
Global Champs Localizers
Global Champs Localizers

Postby CBenson » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:07 pm

Misleading - Yes, as waze is only learning your frequent destinations. Refers only to home and work options - No, waze used to route me automatically to church each Sunday. Waze recently changed to route me to the coffee shop I've started going to before church.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:05 pm

dmcconachie wrote:
AndyPoms wrote:
nMeans wrote:Yesterday, on my commute home, Waze wanted me to get off the freeway at an exit, then right back on. That seemed odd, so I ignored it. There were no obvious problems on the freeway, so I chalked it up to some minor glitch in the processing.
If you were routed off an exit across the street above/below directly to the next on ramp, that ramp to ramp turn should be denied in the editor.

Not always that easy. Sometimes the two ramps are not actually connected, eg we have a lot of ramp>roundabout>ramp junctions over here that can't possibly be restricted in that way.

Which is why I worded it the way I did... Without a permalink we can't be sure...
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby dmcconachie » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:04 pm

AndyPoms wrote:
nMeans wrote:Yesterday, on my commute home, Waze wanted me to get off the freeway at an exit, then right back on. That seemed odd, so I ignored it. There were no obvious problems on the freeway, so I chalked it up to some minor glitch in the processing.
If you were routed off an exit across the street above/below directly to the next on ramp, that ramp to ramp turn should be denied in the editor.

Not always that easy. Sometimes the two ramps are not actually connected, eg we have a lot of ramp>roundabout>ramp junctions over here that can't possibly be restricted in that way.
dmcconachie

Postby AndyPoms » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:01 pm

AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby nMeans » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:51 am

harling wrote:I always thought it would be very helpful if Waze would not only alert you to traffic or hazards, but then tell you whether (and how) it has adjusted your route from what it otherwise would have recommended. Otherwise, "Alerts Only" will tell me there is a problem ahead, but now I have to keep my eye on the display in case Waze wants to "silently" re-route me.

+1. Yesterday, on my commute home, Waze wanted me to get off the freeway at an exit, then right back on. That seemed odd, so I ignored it. There were no obvious problems on the freeway, so I chalked it up to some minor glitch in the processing. About halfway home, Waze wanted me to get off the freeway and proceed the rest of the way on surface streets. This time it turned out that there was a traffic jam on the bridge, but I couldn't see it from where I was, so I took a chance ... and got caught in the jam. It'd be helpful if I could see (or better, hear) why Waze wants me to deviate from the usual route. There's already a "There's a better way" popup which would work for this sort of situation, but if I'm commuting alone instead of running Waze from the copilot seat for somebody else, you're absolutely right: I really need to hear how and why I'm being rerouted.

On a somewhat related note, it's hard to decide between the offerings in the Routes pop-up when no details are available. It'd be nice to be able to maybe long-press on a traffic-jam or other icon to see some information on where it is and what's going on there. Otherwise it might just be the case that Waze is routing me the long way around because that's the way I've ended up going the last few times, so it thinks it has learned a new preferred route.
nMeans

Next

Return to Waze App