I know how to go to work!

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderator: Unholy

I know how to go to work!

Postby rwilsker » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:02 pm

Folks -

Love Waze, but I do need to vent on one topic - the new way that it tries to help me get to work or home when I first turn it on.

I go to work - let's see - about 250 times per year. I go home about the same number of times. (Okay - every once in a while I stop out first with friends for a beer....) So, honestly, I don't need help getting to work or getting home! But every time I turn Waze on (usually so I can keep an eye on road conditions), Waze prompts me cheerily with "Hey - are you going to work? Let me help you!"

Please - make that an option that I can turn off! (To be really clever, note that I turn it off every time! So prompt me with "You don't seem to want me to automatically help you go to work. Shall I turn this feature off?")

Best wishes to all and thanks for all the non-annoying things Waze does.
rwilsker

Re: I know how to go to work!

Postby omba_de » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:15 pm

rwilsker wrote:Folks -

Love Waze, but I do need to vent on one topic - the new way that it tries to help me get to work or home when I first turn it on.

I go to work - let's see - about 250 times per year. I go home about the same number of times. (Okay - every once in a while I stop out first with friends for a beer....) So, honestly, I don't need help getting to work or getting home! But every time I turn Waze on (usually so I can keep an eye on road conditions), Waze prompts me cheerily with "Hey - are you going to work? Let me help you!"

Please - make that an option that I can turn off! (To be really clever, note that I turn it off every time! So prompt me with "You don't seem to want me to automatically help you go to work. Shall I turn this feature off?")

Best wishes to all and thanks for all the non-annoying things Waze does.

Hey rwilsker.
First of all: welcome to waze and to the forum!

But: before you post things like that: there's a search function in the forum. This was asked and discussed a several times!
And perhaps you should study the app first, before you start yelling ;)
Ther is a option to turn it off:
One is to delete your work address out of your favorites.
The other is to stop learning waze your most driven routes. (Sorry, but since I'm not native English speaking and not using the app in English, I have no idea how this is correctly called. But I bet someone knows ;) )

So, we are glad you found the forum. Use the search before posting and read the wiki ;)

Btw. many people (just like I do) like the function of Beeing routed on their daily commute ;)

Cheers,
Omba
Probleme mit i-Gerät und Waze? Bitte melden. Als iOS-expert kann ich dir vielleicht weiter helfen!

AT-Wiki
Wie Waze Routen Kalkuliert
omba_de
Global Champs Localizers
Global Champs Localizers

Postby CBenson » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:17 pm

Omba beat me to it, but I I'll post my response with the English menu labels:

Let's see I go to work about 250 times a year through horrendous traffic. That is exactly why I need waze to route me each time.

BTW, you can turn the feature off. Uncheck Menu>Settings>Advanced>Auto-learn routes to frequent destinations.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.3.0.1
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby russblau » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:47 pm

CBenson wrote:you can turn the feature off. Uncheck Menu>Settings>Advanced>Auto-learn routes to frequent destinations.

Kind of off-topic, but that feature is not really named very accurately. Waze learns what your frequent destinations are; it doesn't actually learn or store the specific routes to them. (And it is actually somewhat clever about guessing what your likely destination is, which seems to take into account the time of day and day of the week as well as your current location.)
ImageImageImageImage
State Manager: District of Columbia
AM Northern Virginia/Washington, D.C./Sussex County, DE
russblau
State Manager
State Manager

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:10 pm

Waze knows we feel it is misnamed. We have asked repeatedly to change it and they haven't. It's a menu item which could be renamed globally without an app update. The menu comes from the web and can be renamed centrally very quickly. But, we have done all we can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.1 | Waze v4.4.9904
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:18 pm

russblau wrote:that feature is not really named very accurately

:lol: There is the understatement of my day.

That poorly worded label causes an awful lot of confusion among waze users. Confusion backed up by some misleading marketing materials and the "Teach Waze your preferred route by simply driving them several times" language that appears on the Routes screen. But as Alan notes, waze just doesn't seem to care about this confusion.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.3.0.1
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:47 pm

I didn't find an official bug for this, so I posted a request. Bug 5045.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.1 | Waze v4.4.9904
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby thefatveganchef » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:33 pm

One thing that isn't mentioned which I will bring up, is the design and intent of the app is to route you to work, home, and your other frequent destination. The reason? Lets say that there is a major accident, congestion or construction on part of your route. If Waze knows this it will route you around the issue and get you to your destination while the other people sit in that traffic. You get to your destination quicker than if you didn't let Waze route you. I have a 40 mile commute each way to and from work, and Waze has saved me from being late on several occasions. I am a proponent of letting Waze route me. However if you want to be that person running Waze, stuck in that traffic jam to let me know it is ahead and to have Waze route me around it and avoid, then that is fine. Waze needs to know that data.

Sometimes you are the person stuck in the jam, sometimes you are the person being routed around the jam.
thefatveganchef

Postby AndyPoms » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:47 pm

I will chime in here with the new three-stage mute button. The options are All On/Alerts Only/All Off. This way using the "Alerts Only" option, you can be navigating to work, but Waze won't tell you to turn left/right, only alert you about hazards/traffic on the route.
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby harling » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:10 pm

AndyPoms wrote:I will chime in here with the new three-stage mute button. The options are All On/Alerts Only/All Off. This way using the "Alerts Only" option, you can be navigating to work, but Waze won't tell you to turn left/right, only alert you about hazards/traffic on the route.

Usability: I always thought it would be very helpful if Waze would not only alert you to traffic or hazards, but then tell you whether (and how) it has adjusted your route from what it otherwise would have recommended. Otherwise, "Alerts Only" will tell me there is a problem ahead, but now I have to keep my eye on the display in case Waze wants to "silently" re-route me.
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.
harling

Next

Return to Waze App