Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

I know how to go to work!

Post by
Folks -

Love Waze, but I do need to vent on one topic - the new way that it tries to help me get to work or home when I first turn it on.

I go to work - let's see - about 250 times per year. I go home about the same number of times. (Okay - every once in a while I stop out first with friends for a beer....) So, honestly, I don't need help getting to work or getting home! But every time I turn Waze on (usually so I can keep an eye on road conditions), Waze prompts me cheerily with "Hey - are you going to work? Let me help you!"

Please - make that an option that I can turn off! (To be really clever, note that I turn it off every time! So prompt me with "You don't seem to want me to automatically help you go to work. Shall I turn this feature off?")

Best wishes to all and thanks for all the non-annoying things Waze does.

POSTER_ID:1993557

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Waze knows we feel it is misnamed. We have asked repeatedly to change it and they haven't. It's a menu item which could be renamed globally without an app update. The menu comes from the web and can be renamed centrally very quickly. But, we have done all we can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I didn't find an official bug for this, so I posted a request. Bug 5045.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AndyPoms
I will chime in here with the new three-stage mute button. The options are All On/Alerts Only/All Off. This way using the "Alerts Only" option, you can be navigating to work, but Waze won't tell you to turn left/right, only alert you about hazards/traffic on the route.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by AndyPoms
nMeans wrote:Yesterday, on my commute home, Waze wanted me to get off the freeway at an exit, then right back on. That seemed odd, so I ignored it. There were no obvious problems on the freeway, so I chalked it up to some minor glitch in the processing.
If you were routed off an exit across the street above/below directly to the next on ramp, that ramp to ramp turn should be denied in the editor.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by AndyPoms
dmcconachie wrote:
AndyPoms wrote:
nMeans wrote:Yesterday, on my commute home, Waze wanted me to get off the freeway at an exit, then right back on. That seemed odd, so I ignored it. There were no obvious problems on the freeway, so I chalked it up to some minor glitch in the processing.
If you were routed off an exit across the street above/below directly to the next on ramp, that ramp to ramp turn should be denied in the editor.
Not always that easy. Sometimes the two ramps are not actually connected, eg we have a lot of ramp>roundabout>ramp junctions over here that can't possibly be restricted in that way.
Which is why I worded it the way I did... Without a permalink we can't be sure...
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by AndyPoms
paragonaz wrote:
harling wrote:
AndyPoms wrote:I will chime in here with the new three-stage mute button. The options are All On/Alerts Only/All Off. This way using the "Alerts Only" option, you can be navigating to work, but Waze won't tell you to turn left/right, only alert you about hazards/traffic on the route.
Usability: I always thought it would be very helpful if Waze would not only alert you to traffic or hazards, but then tell you whether (and how) it has adjusted your route from what it otherwise would have recommended. Otherwise, "Alerts Only" will tell me there is a problem ahead, but now I have to keep my eye on the display in case Waze wants to "silently" re-route me.
Exactly!!! I just posted a similar request to turn off Nav Audio but leave Alerts on.. I hope someone is listening : -)
Please search before posting - in Waze there is a three stage mute button (hit menu, then look for the speaker icon). The three steps are "All On", "All Off" and "Alerts Only".
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by Bluebird855
I see your point.

Perhaps a fourth state for alerts? :)

Probably just as good for me would be if the app would produce the "recalculating" sound when it finds a better route. After all, that is just what it did-- it recalculated and found a new, better route.
Has this suggestion been considered or discussed? I wanted to start a new discussion to request that the 'recalculating route' tone be sounded even when the Sounds are set to 'Alerts Only'. This would let me know when I have taken a wrong turn or missed a turn, before I have driven too far off route.
Bluebird855
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Omba beat me to it, but I I'll post my response with the English menu labels:

Let's see I go to work about 250 times a year through horrendous traffic. That is exactly why I need waze to route me each time.

BTW, you can turn the feature off. Uncheck Menu>Settings>Advanced>Auto-learn routes to frequent destinations.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
russblau wrote:that feature is not really named very accurately
:lol: There is the understatement of my day.

That poorly worded label causes an awful lot of confusion among waze users. Confusion backed up by some misleading marketing materials and the "Teach Waze your preferred route by simply driving them several times" language that appears on the Routes screen. But as Alan notes, waze just doesn't seem to care about this confusion.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
So the chime with the route change pop-up doesn't sound when you have alerts only set? I don't know as I never have alerts only set. Seems like if it doesn't it should.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message