Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by CBenson
xstewiex99 wrote:waze does not actually learn your route, that is misleading it only refers to you home and work options.
Misleading - Yes, as waze is only learning your frequent destinations. Refers only to home and work options - No, waze used to route me automatically to church each Sunday. Waze recently changed to route me to the coffee shop I've started going to before church.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by dmcconachie
AndyPoms wrote:
nMeans wrote:Yesterday, on my commute home, Waze wanted me to get off the freeway at an exit, then right back on. That seemed odd, so I ignored it. There were no obvious problems on the freeway, so I chalked it up to some minor glitch in the processing.
If you were routed off an exit across the street above/below directly to the next on ramp, that ramp to ramp turn should be denied in the editor.
Not always that easy. Sometimes the two ramps are not actually connected, eg we have a lot of ramp>roundabout>ramp junctions over here that can't possibly be restricted in that way.
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by harling
AndyPoms wrote:I will chime in here with the new three-stage mute button. The options are All On/Alerts Only/All Off. This way using the "Alerts Only" option, you can be navigating to work, but Waze won't tell you to turn left/right, only alert you about hazards/traffic on the route.
Usability: I always thought it would be very helpful if Waze would not only alert you to traffic or hazards, but then tell you whether (and how) it has adjusted your route from what it otherwise would have recommended. Otherwise, "Alerts Only" will tell me there is a problem ahead, but now I have to keep my eye on the display in case Waze wants to "silently" re-route me.
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.

Post by moogonk
I agree. I consider it very important information.
moogonk
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message
Moogonk
Country Manager & Multi-State Manager--CT, ME, MA, RI, VT. Rank 5 Resident New Hampshire State Manager

Sometimes you avoid the jam, sometimes you are the jam, and sometimes it's faster to go through the jam. - AndyPoms

Post by moogonk
xstewiex99 wrote:yes but if you set it to alerts only it turns the sound for notification. as far as i know rerouting is part of navigation. so at least to me the its working as intended.
I see your point.

Perhaps a fourth state for alerts? :)

Probably just as good for me would be if the app would produce the "recalculating" sound when it finds a better route. After all, that is just what it did-- it recalculated and found a new, better route.
moogonk
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message
Moogonk
Country Manager & Multi-State Manager--CT, ME, MA, RI, VT. Rank 5 Resident New Hampshire State Manager

Sometimes you avoid the jam, sometimes you are the jam, and sometimes it's faster to go through the jam. - AndyPoms

Post by moogonk
xstewiex99 wrote:waze does not actually learn your route, that is misleading it only refers to you home and work options.
To be clear: Waze isn't learning your route, it is learning your destination. It may choose a different route every time you go to a destination, based on traffic, etc.
moogonk
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message
Moogonk

Post by nMeans
harling wrote:I always thought it would be very helpful if Waze would not only alert you to traffic or hazards, but then tell you whether (and how) it has adjusted your route from what it otherwise would have recommended. Otherwise, "Alerts Only" will tell me there is a problem ahead, but now I have to keep my eye on the display in case Waze wants to "silently" re-route me.
+1. Yesterday, on my commute home, Waze wanted me to get off the freeway at an exit, then right back on. That seemed odd, so I ignored it. There were no obvious problems on the freeway, so I chalked it up to some minor glitch in the processing. About halfway home, Waze wanted me to get off the freeway and proceed the rest of the way on surface streets. This time it turned out that there was a traffic jam on the bridge, but I couldn't see it from where I was, so I took a chance ... and got caught in the jam. It'd be helpful if I could see (or better, hear) why Waze wants me to deviate from the usual route. There's already a "There's a better way" popup which would work for this sort of situation, but if I'm commuting alone instead of running Waze from the copilot seat for somebody else, you're absolutely right: I really need to hear how and why I'm being rerouted.

On a somewhat related note, it's hard to decide between the offerings in the Routes pop-up when no details are available. It'd be nice to be able to maybe long-press on a traffic-jam or other icon to see some information on where it is and what's going on there. Otherwise it might just be the case that Waze is routing me the long way around because that's the way I've ended up going the last few times, so it thinks it has learned a new preferred route.
nMeans
Send a message

Post by omba_de
rwilsker wrote:Folks -

Love Waze, but I do need to vent on one topic - the new way that it tries to help me get to work or home when I first turn it on.

I go to work - let's see - about 250 times per year. I go home about the same number of times. (Okay - every once in a while I stop out first with friends for a beer....) So, honestly, I don't need help getting to work or getting home! But every time I turn Waze on (usually so I can keep an eye on road conditions), Waze prompts me cheerily with "Hey - are you going to work? Let me help you!"

Please - make that an option that I can turn off! (To be really clever, note that I turn it off every time! So prompt me with "You don't seem to want me to automatically help you go to work. Shall I turn this feature off?")

Best wishes to all and thanks for all the non-annoying things Waze does.
Hey rwilsker.
First of all: welcome to waze and to the forum!

But: before you post things like that: there's a search function in the forum. This was asked and discussed a several times!
And perhaps you should study the app first, before you start yelling ;)
Ther is a option to turn it off:
One is to delete your work address out of your favorites.
The other is to stop learning waze your most driven routes. (Sorry, but since I'm not native English speaking and not using the app in English, I have no idea how this is correctly called. But I bet someone knows ;) )

So, we are glad you found the forum. Use the search before posting and read the wiki ;)

Btw. many people (just like I do) like the function of Beeing routed on their daily commute ;)

Cheers,
Omba
omba_de
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Probleme mit i-Gerät und Waze? Bitte melden. Als iOS-expert kann ich dir vielleicht weiter helfen!
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/0/00/AtericSig.png

AT-Wiki
Wie Waze Routen Kalkuliert

Post by omba_de
CBenson wrote:
Misleading - Yes, as waze is only learning your frequent destinations. Refers only to home and work options - No, waze used to route me automatically to church each Sunday. Waze recently changed to route me to the coffee shop I've started going to before church.
I can confirm that!
Ich 2 possible routes for my commute. It's no difference in time. It depends on my mood which one i choose. After taking like 3-5 (never really counted) waze uses this route as default... After taking 3-5 times the other one... It's set back to default...
omba_de
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Probleme mit i-Gerät und Waze? Bitte melden. Als iOS-expert kann ich dir vielleicht weiter helfen!
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/0/00/AtericSig.png

AT-Wiki
Wie Waze Routen Kalkuliert

Post by paragonaz
harling wrote:
AndyPoms wrote:I will chime in here with the new three-stage mute button. The options are All On/Alerts Only/All Off. This way using the "Alerts Only" option, you can be navigating to work, but Waze won't tell you to turn left/right, only alert you about hazards/traffic on the route.
Usability: I always thought it would be very helpful if Waze would not only alert you to traffic or hazards, but then tell you whether (and how) it has adjusted your route from what it otherwise would have recommended. Otherwise, "Alerts Only" will tell me there is a problem ahead, but now I have to keep my eye on the display in case Waze wants to "silently" re-route me.
Exactly!!! I just posted a similar request to turn off Nav Audio but leave Alerts on.. I hope someone is listening : -)
paragonaz
Send a message