Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

I know how to go to work!

Post by rwilsker
Folks -

Love Waze, but I do need to vent on one topic - the new way that it tries to help me get to work or home when I first turn it on.

I go to work - let's see - about 250 times per year. I go home about the same number of times. (Okay - every once in a while I stop out first with friends for a beer....) So, honestly, I don't need help getting to work or getting home! But every time I turn Waze on (usually so I can keep an eye on road conditions), Waze prompts me cheerily with "Hey - are you going to work? Let me help you!"

Please - make that an option that I can turn off! (To be really clever, note that I turn it off every time! So prompt me with "You don't seem to want me to automatically help you go to work. Shall I turn this feature off?")

Best wishes to all and thanks for all the non-annoying things Waze does.
rwilsker

POSTER_ID:1993557

Send a message

Post by thefatveganchef
One thing that isn't mentioned which I will bring up, is the design and intent of the app is to route you to work, home, and your other frequent destination. The reason? Lets say that there is a major accident, congestion or construction on part of your route. If Waze knows this it will route you around the issue and get you to your destination while the other people sit in that traffic. You get to your destination quicker than if you didn't let Waze route you. I have a 40 mile commute each way to and from work, and Waze has saved me from being late on several occasions. I am a proponent of letting Waze route me. However if you want to be that person running Waze, stuck in that traffic jam to let me know it is ahead and to have Waze route me around it and avoid, then that is fine. Waze needs to know that data.

Sometimes you are the person stuck in the jam, sometimes you are the person being routed around the jam.
thefatveganchef
Send a message

Post by russblau
CBenson wrote:you can turn the feature off. Uncheck Menu>Settings>Advanced>Auto-learn routes to frequent destinations.
Kind of off-topic, but that feature is not really named very accurately. Waze learns what your frequent destinations are; it doesn't actually learn or store the specific routes to them. (And it is actually somewhat clever about guessing what your likely destination is, which seems to take into account the time of day and day of the week as well as your current location.)
russblau
State Manager
State Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message