Sleep button on future iOS versions

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderator: Unholy

Sleep button on future iOS versions

Postby shirlig » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:00 pm

Hi guys,

We wanted to inform you that starting from the upcoming version (3.7.3) the "Switch off" button on iOS versions (only) will be replaced by a "Sleep" button, this in is in order to comply with Apple's requirements.

It will look like that:
main2.jpg
main2.jpg (84.88 KiB) Viewed 4750 times

and by hitting the "Sleep" button this screen will show up:
switch off7-sleep.jpg
switch off7-sleep.jpg (66.68 KiB) Viewed 4751 times

Then you'll have the options either to resume the app or to hit the phone's home button to exit.
shirlig
Waze Team
Waze Team

Re: Sleep button on future iOS versions

Postby faitaru » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:03 pm

Can we ask the specifics of Apple's requirements? While the text on a button is inconsequential it would be interesting to know why Apple are forcing the change.

Is the Sleep screen also required by Apple? It seems to serve no purpose other than adding an extra button press to 'close' the app.
iPhone 4S • iOS 8.2 • Waze 3.9.3928.928
AM for Nowhere :(UK Country Admin • iOS Beta Tester • Mega Driver
UK WikiUK ForumWaze UK on FacebookBecome a UK Area ManagerWaze Status
faitaru
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Dave2084 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:52 pm

This change happened to CamerAlert a few months back, I've been kind of expecting in Waze since then as the CamerAlert Devs said it was forced on them by apple. :(
iPhone 6S Plus (Jailed) • iOS 9.2 • Waze 4.1
Level 6 Editor • Lincolnshire Area Manager • UK Country Administrator • iOS Beta Tester
Dave2084
Global Champs Localizers
Global Champs Localizers

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:14 pm

faitaru wrote:Can we ask the specifics of Apple's requirements?

This has been discussed a lot on the beta forum. Here is a relevant link I posted there a couple weeks ago: https://developer.apple.com/library/ios ... a1561.html

Personally, I feel Waze is taking this too literally as the QA is more about the application exiting not based on user action. However, the Switch Off button in Waze, which quits the app, is precisely based on user input and does not make the user think, as the QA suggests, that the app has crashed.

There may be other developer resources I did not find which make it more clear that something like the "Switch Off" button should not exist at all in an app.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.2.1 | Waze v4.2b
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby faitaru » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:25 pm

I guess that link gives some clarity to the change, although I would agree waze seem to be using a big hammer for a small nail here.

In terms of the sleep screen, I can understand the want to inform the wazer that the app is not exiting and merely dropping to background, but do they really need to see it every single time they 'sleep' the app? I see the screen up to 30 times a day. Maybe an option for it (defaulted to on).
iPhone 4S • iOS 8.2 • Waze 3.9.3928.928
AM for Nowhere :(UK Country Admin • iOS Beta Tester • Mega Driver
faitaru
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:31 pm

faitaru wrote:In terms of the sleep screen, I can understand the want to inform the wazer that the app is not exiting and merely dropping to background, but do they really need to see it every single time they 'sleep' the app? I see the screen up to 30 times a day. Maybe an option for it (defaulted to on).

If Waze, based on the Apple guidance, says you can't drop out to the springboard except by user hitting the Home button, what else would you suggest? The app has to have something on-screen.

What this actually does as well, is it sort-of satisfies those who want a "sleep" or "pause" button when stopped somewhere. When you wake waze up from this screen, if it's still up, the route is resumed just like starting Waze from the springboard.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby mwburn » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:33 pm

Yep, in fact they got it wrong and backwards.

The "recommendation" is that if your application doesn't "exit" when the home button is pressed, THEN you warn the user that it's still running (and why, etc). Granted, I don't like the idea of waze (or any other app) using a "warning" screen if I want to hit the home button and change applications either.

There's been a lot of debate about how to enlighten/inform users of apps running in the "background", with no real good overall solution. Which is why I believe Apple made it a "recommendation", and if waze incorporates this, I for one will probably turn it on less frequently, unless I'm driving for longer trips (the majority of my trips are only a few minutes).
I'd be ranked higher if I drove more than 5 miles to work. :-(
But I only have to drive 5 miles to work. :-)

mwburn

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:59 pm

For me, it makes no difference either way. When I shut down Waze, it's because I'm at a destination, so I've always hit the power button on my device once I Switch Off Waze. Using the beta, there is absolutely zero change to this. When I unlock my phone, it's back to the springboard as I'd expect.

The only time this impacts in any way is when I am wanting to get from Waze to another app after shutting Waze down. Now I have to press the Home button once.

In actual use and in reality, this makes almost zero difference in using and shutting down Waze at all. I see no reason why this makes using Waze so much more a hassle at all.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby robc007 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:05 am

The sleep mode screen note should tell the user whether or not GPS has been powered off, and whether or not the device will be allowed to sleep normally. The user will not know whether to expect these to happen.

Also, I see no reason to change the appearance of the "Switch Off" button. Having a "Sleep" button suggests the program is still fully active, as in Windows jargon.
Level 3 Traveler
robc007

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:03 pm

robc007 wrote:Also, I see no reason to change the appearance of the "Switch Off" button. Having a "Sleep" button suggests the program is still fully active, as in Windows jargon.

"Sleep" isn't WIndows-specific, it's under the Apple menu in OSX too. And we are talking about iOS only, so not sure Windows is relevant.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Next

Return to Waze App