Sleep button on future iOS versions

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Sleep button on future iOS versions

Postby kpouer » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:58 am

It seems the system has changed between the last beta and the release, now when waze gets the focus it is reactivated.
Big problem when finishing driving, switching to sleep mode and shut down my phone.
Then if I unlock the phone (not for driving) waze is restarted, so I have to put it again ins keep mode then switch the apps.
kpouer
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby Dave2084 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:33 am

For what it's worth Tomtom for iOS v1.15 (released 2nd sept 2013) now has a virtually identical shutdown system (not that I use it any more as the maps are always 12 months+ out if date).

[ img ]
Dave2084
Global Champs Localizers
Global Champs Localizers

Postby anti-privacy » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:09 am

Well, after upgrading yesterday (iPhone 4) and returning home I discovered the change to "sleep". Unfortunately, while my son was watching television he told me it woke my phone about an hour after I retired. He hit the top hold button and the screen went dark. Two hours later it did the same thing. He repeated the action. After he retired; some point during the night it woke again and burned the battery down to 5%. No other apps running; no alarms, reminders or messages (text, voice or mail: I don't use this phone for much other than voice and nav). Each newer iteration of this app lately is giving me reason to reinstall GPS Drive. Couple that with the huge number of "Unknown" major highways being displayed lately and this app is one step away from being uninstalled.
anti-privacy

Postby davipt » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:50 am

faitaru wrote:Latest change makes it even worse. It now takes the following to force a restart of the app:
Home button
Double tap home button
Tap and hold waze in hotbar
Tap (-)
Home button
Home button
Waze icon

Utterly ridiculous.

On one hand this should not be an issue because we should not need to restart the client >:) but unfortunately the client still has a MAJOR issue that hasn't been solved for several months and versions (since 3.7.0 if I recall) that DO FORCE a restart. I can't understand how can Waze ignore this issue.

I've reported this issue since 3.7.0, and I'm in a case where I don't have a lot of drivers around and hence just a dozen alerts around me, so I imagine how do people feel in cities with a lot of drivers and alerts.

The issue is that when a traffic alert arrives, those that pan the map to the alert and dim the map to focus on the alert, with or without the undimmed circle, when they arrive at the wrong time (in the flow of the code), the dimming won't go away, and the map becomes unusable. The map pans back to our position, but it's not touch enabled anymore, so we can't pan or zoom the map, nor can click on the buttons on the right side. Putting to sleep won't solve it. Only a full restart, which means the whole mess described above.

In my case I'm lucky that just by disabling group alerts limited the number of alerts received and hence it rarely happens, but for other people, because it's not possible to fully disable alerts (on the route vs. radius, there is no "none" option), they are screwed, big time.
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davipt » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:44 am

gettingthere wrote:
fezzzer wrote:How will Waze now upload drives? I always thought this happened when the app shut down.

Your GPS points are being uploaded constantly as you are driving. The 'drive' is built afterwards by a process that runs on the Waze infrastructure. If the GPS points were not being updated continuously as all Wazers drive there would be no such thing as 'real time' traffic in Waze.

I beg to differ. I have a lot of cases that if I don't properly click the shutdown (now sleep) button at the end of the drive, or worse, if I click on it whilst having bad network (e.g. if I forget to shutdown before entering the basement garage, or later already at wifi home), then the drive appears on the editor, but has no data - jumps to coordinate 0,0 and shows nothing.

So albeit the information is being pushed into the server - your speed for traffic jam calculations for example - without a proper shutdown of the client the drive will be fupped up.

On the other hand I may be wrong and maybe the drives just fupp up by themselves by some other reason, but I've been constantly seeing this. Home->work all are ok, but work-home everytime I forget to close properly, the drive is dead.
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davipt » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:41 am

robc007 wrote:The sleep mode screen note should tell the user whether or not GPS has been powered off, and whether or not the device will be allowed to sleep normally. The user will not know whether to expect these to happen.

This is done automatically by the iOS itself. On the old version when we pressed the home button without using the shutdown, the client is still running, the GPS symbol is still on the top bar, and with bad luck, my Geocaching walking trails will become automatically paved. This is intended behavior - if I put another app in the foreground, waze is still providing me instructions and collecting data and pushing my drives.

Now when we press the sleep (or the old shutdown), the GPS symbol goes away, showing clearly that no GPS resources are being used.

(I had this issue with my own client, by not properly releasing the location resources and not letting the icon go away :|)
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby PhantomSoul » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:43 pm

faitaru wrote:Latest change makes it even worse. It now takes the following to force a restart of the app:
Home button
Double tap home button
Tap and hold waze in hotbar
Tap (-)
Home button
Home button
Waze icon

Utterly ridiculous.

There no doubt that this is painful on the current iOS 6 and is yet another reason to upgrade when iOS 7 becomes available. It changes the process to this:

Double tap home button.
Swipe to find Waze slide.
Flick it upward to shut it down.
Home button.
Waze icon.

Apple's rules: All apps must be shut down this way to standardize the shutdown process, or the app might not be approved for distribution to iOS 7.
PhantomSoul
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby sketch » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:31 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
sketch wrote:
phenagan wrote:Is there anyway to add the option in the sleep to ask if you want to sleep or shut down?

No. It's unfortunate, but this change was forced by Apple's rules.

The "putting to sleep" is yes. But the "having to tap Wake Up" every single time to start it, is all Waze's (bad) idea.

That's been fixed in 3.7.3.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:48 pm

sketch wrote:
phenagan wrote:Is there anyway to add the option in the sleep to ask if you want to sleep or shut down?

The "putting to sleep" is yes. But the "having to tap Wake Up" every single time to start it, is all Waze's (bad) idea.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:12 pm

sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App