Sleep button on future iOS versions

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Sleep button on future iOS versions

Postby gettingthere » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:48 am

fezzzer wrote:How will Waze now upload drives? I always thought this happened when the app shut down.

Your GPS points are being uploaded constantly as you are driving. The 'drive' is built afterwards by a process that runs on the Waze infrastructure. If the GPS points were not being updated continuously as all Wazers drive there would be no such thing as 'real time' traffic in Waze.
Wazer in San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico
iPhone 5, iOS 7.1, Waze 3.7.8
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jhh3000 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:33 pm

is it possible for waze to save the route when you put the program to sleep, so that when it wakes up, it doesn't have to recalculate from scratch?
jhh3000

Postby kjstech » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:20 pm

I don't like the sleep button either, and if it's Apples requirements I do blame Apple... however consider this:

Your done driving so you go into the menu, put Waze to sleep, then shut off the phone. Go into your destination. Later you take out your phone to look up something (email, txt, website, other app, etc..) and as soon as you unlock the screen it goes into Waze.

Is it possible at all to eliminate that behavior? If I put waze to sleep then lock phone, when I wake phone up it should return to spring board. Is this an IOS 7.0.2 thing or a Waze thing? Also without force quitting the app, sometimes Waze takes over the audio once you return to it after launching an audio playing app.

I realize some of this is "king" Apples requirements, but there seems to be some bugs to it.
PA, USA - iPhone 5 - Latest WAZE from the App Store
kjstech

Postby kjstech » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:21 pm

Thanks for the reply. I can retrain myself to push the home button quickly before sleeping the phone that's not a problem. The problem arises when waking up Waze it Hijack's the audio of the application currently running. This is why I'd rather see a close app button. For now I'll just have to force quit the app before launching it that way that my audio still continues to play normally from my third-party app in the background.
PA, USA - iPhone 5 - Latest WAZE from the App Store
kjstech

Postby kpouer » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:58 am

It seems the system has changed between the last beta and the release, now when waze gets the focus it is reactivated.
Big problem when finishing driving, switching to sleep mode and shut down my phone.
Then if I unlock the phone (not for driving) waze is restarted, so I have to put it again ins keep mode then switch the apps.
Area manager entre Paris et l'Auvergne
Country Manager France
Country Manager Algérie http://www.facebook.com/WazeAlgerie & twitter: http://twitter.com/WazeAlgerie
kpouer
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kpouer » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:12 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
kpouer wrote:It seems the system has changed between the last beta and the release, now when waze gets the focus it is reactivated.

Getting focus isn't the problem. Any app which was on-screen when the sleep button is pressed is on-screen when the device is unlocked. The "problem," IMO and likely yours and others, is that this automatically takes Waze out of sleep mode. I believe it should not automatically wake up on device unsleep.

I think there is a technical hurdle here for Waze devs: can they determine Waze is being activated from being tapped on from the springboard, or if it is being activated from waking from device sleep? If iOS makes this info available to apps, I think should act differently depending on the activation method: 1) tap on springboard: open and start GPS, network, etc. (wake up); 2) device awakened from sleep: Waze should stay in sleep mode.

Isn't it exactly what I told?
If waze cannot know if it was tapped from the springboard or if it is only the phone that was activated it should stay in sleep mode if it was it's previous state.
Area manager entre Paris et l'Auvergne
Country Manager France
Country Manager Algérie http://www.facebook.com/WazeAlgerie & twitter: http://twitter.com/WazeAlgerie
kpouer
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby madmedix » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:09 am

Well, after upgrading yesterday (iPhone 4) and returning home I discovered the change to "sleep". Unfortunately, while my son was watching television he told me it woke my phone about an hour after I retired. He hit the top hold button and the screen went dark. Two hours later it did the same thing. He repeated the action. After he retired; some point during the night it woke again and burned the battery down to 5%. No other apps running; no alarms, reminders or messages (text, voice or mail: I don't use this phone for much other than voice and nav). Each newer iteration of this app lately is giving me reason to reinstall GPS Drive. Couple that with the huge number of "Unknown" major highways being displayed lately and this app is one step away from being uninstalled.
madmedix

Postby mwburn » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:33 pm

Yep, in fact they got it wrong and backwards.

The "recommendation" is that if your application doesn't "exit" when the home button is pressed, THEN you warn the user that it's still running (and why, etc). Granted, I don't like the idea of waze (or any other app) using a "warning" screen if I want to hit the home button and change applications either.

There's been a lot of debate about how to enlighten/inform users of apps running in the "background", with no real good overall solution. Which is why I believe Apple made it a "recommendation", and if waze incorporates this, I for one will probably turn it on less frequently, unless I'm driving for longer trips (the majority of my trips are only a few minutes).
I'd be ranked higher if I drove more than 5 miles to work. :-(
But I only have to drive 5 miles to work. :-)

mwburn

Sleep button on future iOS versions

Postby omba_de » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:13 pm

What I've recognized since iOS 7: many apps (all?) which are in the task line shut down after some time (don't know how much time that is). So if waze won't have that sleep button, you won't be able to switch between apps and bring it back properly (while driving).

And if you've ended waze with the sleep button, it's in the task line (like all other apps are) and it uses no extra batterie, no GPS and no data. So no big deal with it...
CM-Austria

Probleme mit i-Gerät und Waze? Bitte melden. Als iOS-expert kann ich dir vielleicht weiter helfen!

AT-Wiki
Wie Waze Routen Kalkuliert
omba_de
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby omba_de » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:49 pm

kjstech wrote:...
Is it possible at all to eliminate that behavior?

Isn't that happening with all apps? You lock the phone, and after waking it up the last used app is opened.

Just hit the home button once after putting waze to sleep... And you'll find your homescreen after waking your iPhone up...!
CM-Austria

Probleme mit i-Gerät und Waze? Bitte melden. Als iOS-expert kann ich dir vielleicht weiter helfen!

AT-Wiki
Wie Waze Routen Kalkuliert
omba_de
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App