Sleep button on future iOS versions

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Sleep button on future iOS versions

Postby faitaru » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:23 am

Latest change makes it even worse. It now takes the following to force a restart of the app:
Home button
Double tap home button
Tap and hold waze in hotbar
Tap (-)
Home button
Home button
Waze icon

Utterly ridiculous.
iPhone 4S • iOS 8.2 • Waze 3.9.3928.928
AM for Nowhere :(UK Country Admin • iOS Beta Tester • Mega Driver
UK WikiUK ForumWaze UK on FacebookBecome a UK Area ManagerWaze Status
faitaru
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby faitaru » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:25 pm

I guess that link gives some clarity to the change, although I would agree waze seem to be using a big hammer for a small nail here.

In terms of the sleep screen, I can understand the want to inform the wazer that the app is not exiting and merely dropping to background, but do they really need to see it every single time they 'sleep' the app? I see the screen up to 30 times a day. Maybe an option for it (defaulted to on).
faitaru
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby faitaru » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:03 pm

Can we ask the specifics of Apple's requirements? While the text on a button is inconsequential it would be interesting to know why Apple are forcing the change.

Is the Sleep screen also required by Apple? It seems to serve no purpose other than adding an extra button press to 'close' the app.
faitaru
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby EdHans » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:09 pm

I personally despise the "sleep" function. It is too easy to tap the screen and wake the darn thing up. I want it to "Quit" and am considering just killing it with the iOS 7 task killing function going forward. When I am done driving, I am done, and I don't need Waze in the background at all for any reason. Just exit! It doesn't start any faster, so I am not sure how this is a benefit to the user at all.
EdHans

Postby dougstrickland » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:01 pm

sketch wrote:
mwburn wrote:Yep, in fact they got it wrong and backwards.

The "recommendation" is that if your application doesn't "exit" when the home button is pressed, THEN you warn the user that it's still running (and why, etc). Granted, I don't like the idea of waze (or any other app) using a "warning" screen if I want to hit the home button and change applications either.

There's been a lot of debate about how to enlighten/inform users of apps running in the "background", with no real good overall solution. Which is why I believe Apple made it a "recommendation", and if waze incorporates this, I for one will probably turn it on less frequently, unless I'm driving for longer trips (the majority of my trips are only a few minutes).
Nah, you're misreading the Apple document.

A single press of the Home button never does anything besides exiting the currently active application. An app does not have the opportunity to warn a user about anything once the home button is pressed (other than possibly via a push notification, in certain circumstances). The language about alerting a user to a problem is in the context of an error which does not close the app but which limits its functionality somehow.

"A: There is no API provided for gracefully terminating an iOS application.
In iOS, the user presses the Home button to close applications."

Apple wants to be sure that all their apps provide a consistent experience. Most likely Waze didn't just choose to enforce this now—probably someone at Apple caught on and told Waze "take the shutdown feature out or we won't approve the next version of your app".

This is simply not true. Open iBooks on an iPad - open a book. Press the Home button. You are returned to the Library/bookshelf.
dougstrickland

Postby dkahn63 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:01 am

I Figured out how to get the exit button working on IOS7 - I uninstalled Waze. pretty simple, other users thought that was annoying, and did the same... thanks google....
dkahn63

Postby davipt » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:50 am

faitaru wrote:Latest change makes it even worse. It now takes the following to force a restart of the app:
Home button
Double tap home button
Tap and hold waze in hotbar
Tap (-)
Home button
Home button
Waze icon

Utterly ridiculous.

On one hand this should not be an issue because we should not need to restart the client >:) but unfortunately the client still has a MAJOR issue that hasn't been solved for several months and versions (since 3.7.0 if I recall) that DO FORCE a restart. I can't understand how can Waze ignore this issue.

I've reported this issue since 3.7.0, and I'm in a case where I don't have a lot of drivers around and hence just a dozen alerts around me, so I imagine how do people feel in cities with a lot of drivers and alerts.

The issue is that when a traffic alert arrives, those that pan the map to the alert and dim the map to focus on the alert, with or without the undimmed circle, when they arrive at the wrong time (in the flow of the code), the dimming won't go away, and the map becomes unusable. The map pans back to our position, but it's not touch enabled anymore, so we can't pan or zoom the map, nor can click on the buttons on the right side. Putting to sleep won't solve it. Only a full restart, which means the whole mess described above.

In my case I'm lucky that just by disabling group alerts limited the number of alerts received and hence it rarely happens, but for other people, because it's not possible to fully disable alerts (on the route vs. radius, there is no "none" option), they are screwed, big time.
Bruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ & Coordinator for Portugal | iPhone Beta
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davipt » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:44 am

gettingthere wrote:
fezzzer wrote:How will Waze now upload drives? I always thought this happened when the app shut down.

Your GPS points are being uploaded constantly as you are driving. The 'drive' is built afterwards by a process that runs on the Waze infrastructure. If the GPS points were not being updated continuously as all Wazers drive there would be no such thing as 'real time' traffic in Waze.

I beg to differ. I have a lot of cases that if I don't properly click the shutdown (now sleep) button at the end of the drive, or worse, if I click on it whilst having bad network (e.g. if I forget to shutdown before entering the basement garage, or later already at wifi home), then the drive appears on the editor, but has no data - jumps to coordinate 0,0 and shows nothing.

So albeit the information is being pushed into the server - your speed for traffic jam calculations for example - without a proper shutdown of the client the drive will be fupped up.

On the other hand I may be wrong and maybe the drives just fupp up by themselves by some other reason, but I've been constantly seeing this. Home->work all are ok, but work-home everytime I forget to close properly, the drive is dead.
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davipt » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:41 am

robc007 wrote:The sleep mode screen note should tell the user whether or not GPS has been powered off, and whether or not the device will be allowed to sleep normally. The user will not know whether to expect these to happen.

This is done automatically by the iOS itself. On the old version when we pressed the home button without using the shutdown, the client is still running, the GPS symbol is still on the top bar, and with bad luck, my Geocaching walking trails will become automatically paved. This is intended behavior - if I put another app in the foreground, waze is still providing me instructions and collecting data and pushing my drives.

Now when we press the sleep (or the old shutdown), the GPS symbol goes away, showing clearly that no GPS resources are being used.

(I had this issue with my own client, by not properly releasing the location resources and not letting the icon go away :|)
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Dave2084 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:33 am

For what it's worth Tomtom for iOS v1.15 (released 2nd sept 2013) now has a virtually identical shutdown system (not that I use it any more as the maps are always 12 months+ out if date).

iPhone 6S Plus (Jailed) • iOS 11.x • Waze 4.x
Level 6 Editor • UK Country Administrator • iOS Beta Tester • English (UK) Localisation Co-ordinator
Dave2084
Global Champs Localizers
Global Champs Localizers

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App