Sleep button on future iOS versions

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Sleep button on future iOS versions

Postby PhantomSoul » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:38 pm

I think one of the new behaviors on iOS being introduced with iOS 7 is the ability for apps to fully keep running in the background, as opposed to just having access to a select few functions when dismissed from the screen, as introduced in an earlier iOS version. This behavior is completely analogous to deactiving a window on a computer; the program continues running as if nothing changed but it's display is no longer on top.

Following this, pressing the home key will no longer shut your current app down. Rather it simply shows your home screen over the app you had on before. An app like Waze will continue to call out to location services, since it's designed to run in the background so it can continue to navigate even if you elect to put something else on the screen, or turn the screen off to save battery life.

In iOS 7, all apps will be shut down by double-tapping the home button, finding the slide that represents the running app you want to shut down, and flicking it upward. I guess that in order to streamline (and promote) this new gesture, Apple will be requiring any in-app shutdown controls to be removed, since there will be a standard iOS way to do it.

I think the sleep mode is a clever replacement for the shut down function, but also, being visually in the shut down function's place, serves as a reminder of the way iOS 7 works differently than what we've become used to. From there, we can either conveniently put it to sleep, or use Apple's new way of shutting the app down. Either way, your phone battery's charge is saved.
Wazing the Garden State... one jughandle at a time.
AM: New York City; New Jersey
AT&T iPhone 5 / iOS 7.1 / Waze 3.7.8
PhantomSoul
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby PhantomSoul » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:43 pm

faitaru wrote:Latest change makes it even worse. It now takes the following to force a restart of the app:
Home button
Double tap home button
Tap and hold waze in hotbar
Tap (-)
Home button
Home button
Waze icon

Utterly ridiculous.

There no doubt that this is painful on the current iOS 6 and is yet another reason to upgrade when iOS 7 becomes available. It changes the process to this:

Double tap home button.
Swipe to find Waze slide.
Flick it upward to shut it down.
Home button.
Waze icon.

Apple's rules: All apps must be shut down this way to standardize the shutdown process, or the app might not be approved for distribution to iOS 7.
Wazing the Garden State... one jughandle at a time.
AM: New York City; New Jersey
AT&T iPhone 5 / iOS 7.1 / Waze 3.7.8
PhantomSoul
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby phenagan » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:52 pm

I agree with Faitaru - this is ridiculous and I'm sorry I updated the app now. I do have to restart Waze at times when I'm driving due to a bug where the screen remains dimmed after a notice. Going through the double tap of the home process while driving is NOT an improvement. Is there anyway to add the option in the sleep to ask if you want to sleep or shut down?
phenagan

Postby robc007 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:05 am

The sleep mode screen note should tell the user whether or not GPS has been powered off, and whether or not the device will be allowed to sleep normally. The user will not know whether to expect these to happen.

Also, I see no reason to change the appearance of the "Switch Off" button. Having a "Sleep" button suggests the program is still fully active, as in Windows jargon.
Level 3 I-94 Commuter
robc007

Sleep button on future iOS versions

Postby shirlig » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:00 pm

Hi guys,

We wanted to inform you that starting from the upcoming version (3.7.3) the "Switch off" button on iOS versions (only) will be replaced by a "Sleep" button, this in is in order to comply with Apple's requirements.

It will look like that:
main2.jpg
main2.jpg (84.88 KiB) Viewed 4172 times

and by hitting the "Sleep" button this screen will show up:
switch off7-sleep.jpg
switch off7-sleep.jpg (66.68 KiB) Viewed 4173 times

Then you'll have the options either to resume the app or to hit the phone's home button to exit.
shirlig
Waze Team
Waze Team

Postby sketch » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:27 am

mwburn wrote:Yep, in fact they got it wrong and backwards.

The "recommendation" is that if your application doesn't "exit" when the home button is pressed, THEN you warn the user that it's still running (and why, etc). Granted, I don't like the idea of waze (or any other app) using a "warning" screen if I want to hit the home button and change applications either.

There's been a lot of debate about how to enlighten/inform users of apps running in the "background", with no real good overall solution. Which is why I believe Apple made it a "recommendation", and if waze incorporates this, I for one will probably turn it on less frequently, unless I'm driving for longer trips (the majority of my trips are only a few minutes).
Nah, you're misreading the Apple document.

A single press of the Home button never does anything besides exiting the currently active application. An app does not have the opportunity to warn a user about anything once the home button is pressed (other than possibly via a push notification, in certain circumstances). The language about alerting a user to a problem is in the context of an error which does not close the app but which limits its functionality somehow.

"A: There is no API provided for gracefully terminating an iOS application.
In iOS, the user presses the Home button to close applications."

Apple wants to be sure that all their apps provide a consistent experience. Most likely Waze didn't just choose to enforce this now—probably someone at Apple caught on and told Waze "take the shutdown feature out or we won't approve the next version of your app".
iphone 5 • ios 7.1 • waze 3.7.9.914 • mac os 10.9.2
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby sketch » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:12 pm

phenagan wrote:Is there anyway to add the option in the sleep to ask if you want to sleep or shut down?

No. It's unfortunate, but this change was forced by Apple's rules.
Image Image
sketch
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby sketch » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:31 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
sketch wrote:
phenagan wrote:Is there anyway to add the option in the sleep to ask if you want to sleep or shut down?

No. It's unfortunate, but this change was forced by Apple's rules.

The "putting to sleep" is yes. But the "having to tap Wake Up" every single time to start it, is all Waze's (bad) idea.

That's been fixed in 3.7.3.
Image Image
sketch
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby sketch » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:05 am

kpouer wrote:It seems the system has changed between the last beta and the release, now when waze gets the focus it is reactivated.
Big problem when finishing driving, switching to sleep mode and shut down my phone.
Then if I unlock the phone (not for driving) waze is restarted, so I have to put it again ins keep mode then switch the apps.

Yep, I mentioned this before, maybe in the old 3.7.3 feedback thread that accidentally got deleted. It's a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Image Image
sketch
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby sketch » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:34 pm

dougstrickland wrote:This is simply not true. Open iBooks on an iPad - open a book. Press the Home button. You are returned to the Library/bookshelf.

Not on my iPhone. It takes me to the homescreen. I seriously doubt it's different on the iPad, but I'll try it when I get home if you insist.
Image Image
sketch
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App