Sleep button on future iOS versions

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Sleep button on future iOS versions

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:22 pm

Waze will "wake itself up" if you sleep your phone directly from the "Waze is asleep" screen and then unlock your phone.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:22 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Waze will "wake itself up" if you sleep your phone directly from the "Waze is asleep" screen and then unlock your phone.

Right, although according to his post stuartdole was pressing the Home button after putting Waze to sleep.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jhh3000 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:33 pm

is it possible for waze to save the route when you put the program to sleep, so that when it wakes up, it doesn't have to recalculate from scratch?
jhh3000

Postby weeezer14 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:56 pm

jhh3000 wrote:is it possible for waze to save the route when you put the program to sleep, so that when it wakes up, it doesn't have to recalculate from scratch?

Traffic conditions have likely changed since you put Waze to sleep, so a recalculation is wise if not required. Even when Waze is active and you are driving, recalculations are happening periodically to keep you aware of changing conditions. You just don't see those unless a significant change is detected.
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator
weeezer14

Postby EdHans » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:09 pm

I personally despise the "sleep" function. It is too easy to tap the screen and wake the darn thing up. I want it to "Quit" and am considering just killing it with the iOS 7 task killing function going forward. When I am done driving, I am done, and I don't need Waze in the background at all for any reason. Just exit! It doesn't start any faster, so I am not sure how this is a benefit to the user at all.
EdHans

Sleep button on future iOS versions

Postby omba_de » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:13 pm

What I've recognized since iOS 7: many apps (all?) which are in the task line shut down after some time (don't know how much time that is). So if waze won't have that sleep button, you won't be able to switch between apps and bring it back properly (while driving).

And if you've ended waze with the sleep button, it's in the task line (like all other apps are) and it uses no extra batterie, no GPS and no data. So no big deal with it...
Probleme mit i-Gerät und Waze? Bitte melden. Als iOS-expert kann ich dir vielleicht weiter helfen!

AT-Wiki
Wie Waze Routen Kalkuliert
omba_de
Global Champs Localizers
Global Champs Localizers

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:30 pm

EdHans wrote:I personally despise the "sleep" function. It is too easy to tap the screen and wake the darn thing up. I want it to "Quit" and am considering just killing it with the iOS 7 task killing function going forward. When I am done driving, I am done, and I don't need Waze in the background at all for any reason. Just exit! It doesn't start any faster, so I am not sure how this is a benefit to the user at all.

Thanks for reading this thread so you understand exactly why it is this way. 1) Apple required it (would not approve Waze future versions with "Exit"), 2) It works exactly as before, just doesn't drop you to the Springboard (Apple forbids it), 3) Just tap the Home button and it consumes the EXACT same amount of resources in the background now as it did before with the "exit" menu item = none.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby vitielj » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:13 pm

I wish the Sleep button would do two things (1) put the app to sleep and then (2) put you back on the home screen. It amazing how easily it is to unsleep the app - when you do not want it to be running.

Thanks.
vitielj

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:41 pm

vitielj wrote: (2) put you back on the home screen.

Wishes wishes... You did read why it can't in this thread right? Go complain to apple.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby dkahn63 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:01 am

I Figured out how to get the exit button working on IOS7 - I uninstalled Waze. pretty simple, other users thought that was annoying, and did the same... thanks google....
dkahn63

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App