Sleep button on future iOS versions

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Sleep button on future iOS versions

Postby AndyPoms » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:26 am

dkahn63 wrote:I Figured out how to get the exit button working on IOS7 - I uninstalled Waze. pretty simple, other users thought that was annoying, and did the same... thanks google....
Don't thank Google, thank APPLE. This is an APPLE requirement, it has NOTHING to do with Google's purchase of Waze.
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:55 pm

dkahn63 wrote:I Figured out how to get the exit button working on IOS7 - I uninstalled Waze. pretty simple, other users thought that was annoying, and did the same... thanks google....

Based on the moronic statement made here, I'm surprised dkhan63 could figure out how to turn on a smartphone.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.1 | Waze v4.4.9904
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kjstech » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:20 pm

I don't like the sleep button either, and if it's Apples requirements I do blame Apple... however consider this:

Your done driving so you go into the menu, put Waze to sleep, then shut off the phone. Go into your destination. Later you take out your phone to look up something (email, txt, website, other app, etc..) and as soon as you unlock the screen it goes into Waze.

Is it possible at all to eliminate that behavior? If I put waze to sleep then lock phone, when I wake phone up it should return to spring board. Is this an IOS 7.0.2 thing or a Waze thing? Also without force quitting the app, sometimes Waze takes over the audio once you return to it after launching an audio playing app.

I realize some of this is "king" Apples requirements, but there seems to be some bugs to it.
PA, USA - iPhone 6 plus - Latest WAZE from the App Store - Map Editor Level 1 - Royalty Wazer - Rank 2,214 and counting.
kjstech

Postby omba_de » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:49 pm

kjstech wrote:...
Is it possible at all to eliminate that behavior?

Isn't that happening with all apps? You lock the phone, and after waking it up the last used app is opened.

Just hit the home button once after putting waze to sleep... And you'll find your homescreen after waking your iPhone up...!
Probleme mit i-Gerät und Waze? Bitte melden. Als iOS-expert kann ich dir vielleicht weiter helfen!

AT-Wiki
Wie Waze Routen Kalkuliert
omba_de
Global Champs Localizers
Global Champs Localizers

Postby sketch » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:18 pm

kjstech wrote:I don't like the sleep button either, and if it's Apples requirements I do blame Apple... however consider this:

Your done driving so you go into the menu, put Waze to sleep, then shut off the phone. Go into your destination. Later you take out your phone to look up something (email, txt, website, other app, etc..) and as soon as you unlock the screen it goes into Waze.

Is it possible at all to eliminate that behavior? If I put waze to sleep then lock phone, when I wake phone up it should return to spring board. Is this an IOS 7.0.2 thing or a Waze thing? Also without force quitting the app, sometimes Waze takes over the audio once you return to it after launching an audio playing app.

I realize some of this is "king" Apples requirements, but there seems to be some bugs to it.

I just answered this in the iOS 3.7.3 thread: https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 40#p585090 — reproduced below, in relevant part:

[As omba_de said,] This can be resolved by arriving your destination, sleeping Waze, and then pressing the Home button before pressing the Lock button.

Presumably, Waze can't tell the difference between being launched from the icon on the home screen, and being reopened from the unlock screen after the phone is locked with Waze open. Basically the programmers have two choices:
  • Do not automatically wake up when reopening Waze. Even if you launch it by pressing the icon. This is really annoying—trust me. There were a lot of complaints about this in beta testing. The one advantage is avoiding the unlock problem as you described.
  • Automatically wake up when reopening Waze. When you're getting in the car you want to get going as quickly as possible; adding the extra step is real bad. The one disadvantage is as you described, but it can be taken care of by simply getting into the habit of pressing the Home button after you put Waze to sleep.
Why not leave it asleep when unlocking but not when launching from the Home screen? Simply, I don't think this is possible in iOS.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:00 pm

kjstech wrote:Is it possible at all to eliminate that behavior?

sketch wrote:Why not leave it asleep when unlocking but not when launching from the Home screen? Simply, I don't think this is possible in iOS.

iOS activates the last app which was open when locking the phone. It may be possible, however, for Waze to not actually Wake Up when activated, but that would also require you tap the "Wake Up" button even if you just tap on Waze from the springboard when you had previously put it to sleep. It would not just affect waking from Lock.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.1 | Waze v4.4.9904
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kjstech » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:21 pm

Thanks for the reply. I can retrain myself to push the home button quickly before sleeping the phone that's not a problem. The problem arises when waking up Waze it Hijack's the audio of the application currently running. This is why I'd rather see a close app button. For now I'll just have to force quit the app before launching it that way that my audio still continues to play normally from my third-party app in the background.
PA, USA - iPhone 6 plus - Latest WAZE from the App Store - Map Editor Level 1 - Royalty Wazer - Rank 2,214 and counting.
kjstech

Postby sketch » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:50 pm

kjstech wrote:The problem arises when waking up Waze it Hijack's the audio of the application currently running. This is why I'd rather see a close app button.

That's an issue of poor implementation of the sleep function, basically a bug; it's not a function necessary to the sleep function. Of course I agree it needs to be fixed, but having a close app button would also not necessarily mean there couldn't be a bug that paused audio when launching the app after it's closed entirely.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Previous

Return to Waze App