Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by sketch
kjstech wrote:I don't like the sleep button either, and if it's Apples requirements I do blame Apple... however consider this:

Your done driving so you go into the menu, put Waze to sleep, then shut off the phone. Go into your destination. Later you take out your phone to look up something (email, txt, website, other app, etc..) and as soon as you unlock the screen it goes into Waze.

Is it possible at all to eliminate that behavior? If I put waze to sleep then lock phone, when I wake phone up it should return to spring board. Is this an IOS 7.0.2 thing or a Waze thing? Also without force quitting the app, sometimes Waze takes over the audio once you return to it after launching an audio playing app.

I realize some of this is "king" Apples requirements, but there seems to be some bugs to it.
I just answered this in the iOS 3.7.3 thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=61610&start=140#p585090 — reproduced below, in relevant part:

[As omba_de said,] This can be resolved by arriving your destination, sleeping Waze, and then pressing the Home button before pressing the Lock button.

Presumably, Waze can't tell the difference between being launched from the icon on the home screen, and being reopened from the unlock screen after the phone is locked with Waze open. Basically the programmers have two choices:
  • Do not automatically wake up when reopening Waze. Even if you launch it by pressing the icon. This is really annoying—trust me. There were a lot of complaints about this in beta testing. The one advantage is avoiding the unlock problem as you described.
  • Automatically wake up when reopening Waze. When you're getting in the car you want to get going as quickly as possible; adding the extra step is real bad. The one disadvantage is as you described, but it can be taken care of by simply getting into the habit of pressing the Home button after you put Waze to sleep.
Why not leave it asleep when unlocking but not when launching from the Home screen? Simply, I don't think this is possible in iOS.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
kjstech wrote:The problem arises when waking up Waze it Hijack's the audio of the application currently running. This is why I'd rather see a close app button.
That's an issue of poor implementation of the sleep function, basically a bug; it's not a function necessary to the sleep function. Of course I agree it needs to be fixed, but having a close app button would also not necessarily mean there couldn't be a bug that paused audio when launching the app after it's closed entirely.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by stuartdole
I just updated to iOS 7, and something - Waze? - burned through 95% of my battery during the night. This is on an iPhone 4S.

When I arrive at a destination I usually select "Sleep" from the lower left menu, then hit the Home button to go on to other things, then the power button so I can put the phone in my pocket. I'd be much happier with a "Quit" or "Over and Out" button. (Seems Waze is a light sleeper!)

Does it wake itself from "Sleep" now? Do I have to kill the app every time I'm done driving (double-tap Home, swipe, flick (or hold and (-)), tap)? Can Waze sense that the phone is now quiet (accelerometer) and stop looking for GPS signals (and the massive floating point arithmetic load that calls for)?

Many thanks!
stuartdole
Send a message

Post by vitielj
I wish the Sleep button would do two things (1) put the app to sleep and then (2) put you back on the home screen. It amazing how easily it is to unsleep the app - when you do not want it to be running.

Thanks.
vitielj
Send a message

Post by WeeeZer14
jhh3000 wrote:is it possible for waze to save the route when you put the program to sleep, so that when it wakes up, it doesn't have to recalculate from scratch?
Traffic conditions have likely changed since you put Waze to sleep, so a recalculation is wise if not required. Even when Waze is active and you are driving, recalculations are happening periodically to keep you aware of changing conditions. You just don't see those unless a significant change is detected.
WeeeZer14
Send a message
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
[img]https:///V68te[/img]
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator