These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Idea for a possible enhancement

Post by MrDave99
Hi Waze peeps,
Driving into work this morning I passed a broken down car in a country lane. It occurred to me that Waze could be a very useful tool for broken down cars and recovery vehicles if you could make the Wazer themselves a destination.
Thinking it through you wouldn't want to be able to track just anyone, so maybe the app could generate a random location code, active for a couple of hours and perhaps specific to a recovery firm, that could be used by the recovery vehicle to pinpoint the broken down Wazer.
It was only a passing thought, but didn't seem to be overly complicated (from a layperson perspective) and it might be an easy way to boost Waze use in people with breakdown membership and the recovery vehicles themselves.
Dave
MrDave99

POSTER_ID:5018086

Send a message

Post by dknight212
The creation of a temporary location is very much what apps like Glympse are about.
dknight212
Send a message

dknight212
Send a message

Post by MrDave99
Cheers David. Not come across that one before, but looking at it...yes - that was pretty much what I had in mind. If only I'd thought of it a few years ago maybe I'd have been bought by Google too :-)
MrDave99
Send a message

Post by Riamus
It is already possible to do this. Assuming the tow company used Waze, they can use the pick up option to request the location from the person who is broken down. That would allow them to route there and provide an ETA as well. Additionally, if a tow company just wanted to browse the map for stopped vehicle reports and go there hoping to find someone needing towed, they can do so and then tap and hold the location to route there.
Riamus
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png
Previously Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S21+.