Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

sound problem nexsus 7 android 4.3

Post by abibbiba
i had been using Waze successfully for month,but after updating OS to android 4.3 in my nexus 7 the navigation instructions stopped working. i was using the standard English voice and my efforts to download other languages did not solve the problem. i have uninstalled and reinstalled the app several times including deleting the Waze file from the phone's internal storage without avail. the navigation instructions now involve partial words only-- the word "meters" only before a turn or instruction ( instead of " in 400 meters turn right" etc)
Any ideas?? or better yet- a solution so that i can resume using waze!!!
abibbiba

POSTER_ID:16787121

Send a message

Post by ajamminman
I have the same problem on my Galaxy S4. The Waze voice guidance supplies some of the words of each sentence. I've tried re installing Waze - no change in behavior. I did notice that I even though I have selected to have voice navigation sent to the phone speakers...if I am using the phones bluetooth to make a call while using Waze's navigation I can hear the voice navigation perfectly through the bluetooth. The recent update also did nothing to correct the problem.
ajamminman
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
There is a known issue with Android 4.3+ and the "route sound to speaker" option.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by ali_ali_ali
me too.. btw im using s4. install and uninstall but still no sound at all.. seems like waze ask me to post here yet ive seen this qs still has no solution. any waze people out here instead of other user like me?

gps without voice command is useless and it is sad since i love this apps very much. hope waze will help us on this issue or at least give link to any thread that have already found the solution for this problem..
ali_ali_ali
Send a message

Post by alschmick
I did not upgrade the version of Waze, but I did updrade to iPone iOS7 and the problem started immediately. I will get voice alerts as to traffic, weather, problems, etc., but I do not get ANY voice directions. I turned on logging and will send the logs from my trip home later today. But any help prior to that would be appreciated.
alschmick
Send a message

Post by anders16000
I'm not convinced that its a bluetooth problem, or at least disabling bluetooth does not solve it for me.
Infact this problem has been following me for more than a year on to different phones (galaxy S3 & galaxy note 3) and waze versions.
After some of the waze updates it worked for a short time, but now it doesnt play ..

I have reinstalled waze and deleted wase dir numorous of times,
tried with and without bluetooth enabled
with and without use phone speakers
with different sound settings (alerts only, all directions)
Swedish & Swedish with streetnames + a couple of English Celeb sounds.

Sometimes I hear fragments of the directions mostly its totally silent.

I'm not sure it matters but the Swedish guidiance (without street names) does have a number of corrupt sound files: 1000.bin 1000meters.bin 1500.bin 400.bin and 400meters.bin are all 0 bytes.
The other soundfies I have tried (with a media player), sounds correct though.

Waze version 3.7.7 / Phone: SM-N9005 / Android 4.3 / Kernel: 3.4.0.2019540 /build JSS15J.N9005XXUDMK2
anders16000
Send a message

Post by arix
I have S4, since upgrade to Android 4.3, I can't use internal speaker anymore :(
I can only use my Car Bluetooth (Ford Focus) and select sound source to Phone.
Which means I can listen just to Phone with or without playing music from Phone.
It's big big problem due the fact I can't listen to Car Radio !! and should stuck
with Phone Audio if I want to use Waze.
Also , I can't close Bluetooth , I should be ready to Phone calls.. :)
Please fix the bug so we can continue using Internal speaker as it was with Android 4.2
arix
Send a message

Post by Cattaco
Your solution worked for me Doc! I didn't have a backup of the 3.7.3.0.apk, but after a little digging I found it on the internet, and did exactly as you said, and my sound works now.

By the way, I'm running Android 4.3 on a Galaxy S3.

PS...This also fixed another annoying issue for me. I can now turn OFF the "Auto-learn routes to frequent destinations" setting, which causes Waze to automatically try to route me home or to work 5 or 6 times a day. This was another "improvement" recently made by Waze.

Thanks for sharing your workaround!
Cattaco
Send a message

Post by ccohen2000
I am having the same issue with my Galaxy S4. Makes no sense that I must turn off my phone's Bluetooth to get sound. This is actually a safety issue that Waze needs to resolve. I either get no sound on NAV, which has me constantly looking at my phone, or I need to turn off BT and take phone calls without hands free. Makes no sense to me how they can't have a fix for this issue. Tried uninstall, delete directory nonsense - nothing.
ccohen2000
Send a message

Post by cguima
I am at the same point. Ticking off the [use phone speaker] option will rout the sound to the phone speakers but, if you are linked to a BT device, as I always do by driving, Waze will mute the phone speakers. It is bad.

Another issue is that sometimes, I don't know why, as I start Waze the volume level for media on phone goes to zero by itself and I have no sound. Weird...

I don't know if it is an Android 4.3 bug because all other sound using apps work fine.
OiledAmoeba wrote:I just wanted to say:
"Maybe it's a Waze-Bug, but de facto it is known as a Bug of Android 4.3+. For Android the Bug is to use internal speaker in the Waze Menu. If you tick this checkbox to off and don't use Bluetooth (your mobile then must use internal speaker by itself) TTS works nice."

But I read in this thread about iOS having this trouble, too...
ali_ali_ali wrote:[...] still no sound at all. [...]
Are you sure that you haven't (accidently) shut off Waze-Voice? In the Main Menu there is a speaker sign in the upper left corner. Do you see <))) ? Maybe you accidently pressed this button so Waze only speaks for warnings <! or nothing <x (The < is symbolic for the pic of a speaker)
cguima
Send a message