These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Background mode logical bug?

Post by patanne
I have found what I think to be a bug but want to get some more input from all to help confirm or deny my findings. Last week I was driving through NYC. I got stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic for about an hour. Waze was running, but in the background since I wasn't moving. After traffic cleared up I didn't re-open waze until 70 mi. later where I wanted to see what the conditions were as I approached known speed traps on the NJ TPKE. When I later checked on-line the miles I logged between where waze when to sleep and when I re-opened the app were lost. The miles prior to the traffic and after I re-opened were properly captured.

Here is some questions.
1. How long do I have to be stationary before waze goes to sleep when in background mode?
2. Do I have to be completely stopped for it to go to sleep (as in stop logging activity)?
3. Will waze wake up on its own if I start moving again after it has gone to sleep? Or do I have to wake it up manually?

FYI. I am using the latest version of the iPhone app.
patanne

POSTER_ID:443716

Send a message

Post by jondrush
Based on my experience, nothing official or scientific, YMMV:

1. How long do I have to be stationary before waze goes to sleep when in background mode?

About 10 minutes

2. Do I have to be completely stopped for it to go to sleep (as in stop logging activity)?

Yes

3. Will waze wake up on its own if I start moving again after it has gone to sleep? Or do I have to wake it up manually?

No
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by WeeeZer14
My observations make me believe that when in the background on the iPhone Waze will NOT record your route to the servers. I'll guess it is a limitation of what an app can do in the background on the iPhone.
WeeeZer14
Send a message
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
[img]https:///V68te[/img]
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator