These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

I don't understand how traffic works

Post by eepmatt
I am giving Waze a go after using Google Maps, and one thing I miss is the way GM reported traffic.

I may not have something configured correctly, but with GM I liked very much the green, yellow, and red overlays denoting traffic conditions EVERYWHERE. I live in Los Angeles, so this data was available even on surface streets... not just freeways. And while it wasn't always 100% correct, it definitely allowed me to look at the map before I started my journey and choose the route I wanted to take. (In Los Angeles, of course, there are many different ways to get where you're going...)

So does Waze not do this? Is there a way to see traffic conditions on the entire map? In an overview? Or is it really only about incidents and freeways?
eepmatt

POSTER_ID:4211681

Send a message

Post by Bigbear3764
eepmatt wrote:I see... so to really use Waze effective, I need to use the navigation by inputting a destination EVERY TIME I want to use it to avoid traffic? In other words, for Waze to be truly effective, it needs to know where I'm going every time I use it.... Am I getting it now?
Yes, for Waze to route you around traffic, it has to know where you are going.
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by dknight212
I think you haven't yet got how Waze works - it chooses the best route based on real-time data so you don't have to.

Basic answer in the FAQ at http://www.waze.com/faq/#4

Very very detailed answer at http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/How_ ... tes_routes
dknight212
Send a message

Post by eepmatt
I see... so to really use Waze effective, I need to use the navigation by inputting a destination EVERY TIME I want to use it to avoid traffic? In other words, for Waze to be truly effective, it needs to know where I'm going every time I use it.... Am I getting it now?
eepmatt
Send a message

Post by Timbones
Waze /does/ show traffic conditions on map, but only when it there is congestion. There's no green highlight when they are clear.

Unlike Google Maps, /any/ road can show traffic congestion, when necessary.

Also, Waze will pick the best route for you, so you don't need to guess from the traffic overlays.

via mobile
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2
Send a message
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries