These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by sketch
unlimitedsounds wrote:THIS IS CRAZY... EVER SINCE THE LATEST UPDATE, there has been an issue with the screen going DIM, pop-up reports causing the screen to go dim and the highlight the area, then either never go back to current traveling road, or go back to the road but the map is still dim and highlighted. I have heard nothing from WAZE regarding a fix.. NOTHING. It make the program useless. Is there anyone from WAZE on here and can they please let us know an ETA for a fix?
This has been reported a couple dozen times. I think it's safe to say it's a known issue.

I would imagine a big update is in the works, to bring Waze more in line with the look of iOS 7, perhaps among other things. I would like to hear more from Waze about this, but alas, we don't live in a perfect world...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
unlimitedsounds wrote: YES but WHEN will there be a fix???????????????? I dont believe they even acknowledged that they are working on a fix... ANYONE??
Sorry, I edited my post, read above....

I imagine they're busy with an update, but I don't know. That's just my guess as to why we haven't been hearing a whole lot from the staff. Regardless, it's a known issue, and as with every known issue, it will be fixed as soon as time allows, according to its priority relative to other known issues. No need to yell.

sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
iOS 7 gave me some insight as to why Waze pauses my music when I launch the app from sleep until it automatically wakes up.

Is this happening for others? I will have music playing over Bluetooth audio, then launch Waze (which was asleep in the background). The music pauses until the sleep screen goes away, then resumes again. This happened in iOS 6 as well, in version 3.7.3.

The first time I launched Waze after upgrading to iOS 7, nothing out of the ordinary happened; at the end of the session, I put Waze to sleep. The second time I launched Waze after upgrading to iOS 7, it opened on the sleep screen, and immediately the new iOS 7 pop-up asking if I wanted to grant Waze permission to use the microphone came onto the screen. I said yes, Waze continued to launch and wake up, and Waze has continued to pause the music every time it's launched from sleep.

At a later time, after launching Waze from sleep, I quickly pressed the home button (before it woke up) and the iOS top bar became red for a moment, as it does when an app is recording audio in the background.

It seems as if Waze, when launched from background sleep, activates the microphone and awaits some sort of "wake up" voice command. Might have been a good idea in beta, before Waze automatically woke up from sleep; now that it does, however, there's no need for it. The music pause is disruptive and totally throws off my rhythm when I'm ready to roll.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
TacoTRD wrote: First issue, which I haven't been able to pinpoint a cause, is when Waze is being used while listening to the radio. When Waze is supposed to alert me with a pop-up, the phone call screen will briefly come up instead (as if a phone call was coming in), while Waze is making the announcement, then reverts back to the map screen. This doesn't happen while listening to Pandora, only when listening to the radio. It also doesn't happen all the time. Making or receiving a phone call seems to trigger this behavior. It may be working fine until a call comes in, then the next announcement Waze makes will cause the phone call screen to pop-up again instead of the Waze alert pop-up.
Sounds like you may have Prefer Bluetooth turned on?
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
tateu3cX wrote:Bluetooth Audio does not work the same with an iPhone 5s (iOS 7.0.2) when a USB cable is plugged in as it does when no USB cable is plugged in. When no USB cable is plugged in, navigation prompts correctly interrupt my car radio and play via bluetooth call (Ford Sync). When a USB cable is plugged in, they do not play via bluetooth call (over my radio), they do not play via bluetooth audio and they do not play via USB. Prefer bluetooth is turned on in settings.

On my iPhone 4s with iOS 6.x, navigation prompts would interrupt my car radio and play via bluetooth call both with and without a USB cable plugged in.
That's an interesting change. I haven't tested that specific scenario (USB, Prefer Bluetooth) since iOS 7, I guess.
TacoTRD wrote:
sketch wrote: Sounds like you may have Prefer Bluetooth turned on?
Yes...I do have Prefer Bluetooth turned on. I thought this may be causing the issue, but when I turn it off, there is no sound at all when I get the pop-ups. So that solution wasn't acceptable. I'm hoping maybe I still have one of the settings wrong...either on my phone, or the headunit. Even with Prefer Bluetooth turned on...it doesn't always happen while listening to the radio. It seems to start after receiving or making a call. If I turn Pandora on...the alerts/announcements will function correctly. Then it's hit or miss when I turn Pandora off and radio back on.
So your phone is plugged in to the head unit using USB, I take it?

It seems, based on both of your testimony, that something in iOS 7 broke the proper implementation of "Prefer Bluetooth". TacoTRD, did you experience these problems on iOS 6?
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
TacoTRD wrote:
sketch wrote: So your phone is plugged in to the head unit using USB, I take it?

It seems, based on both of your testimony, that something in iOS 7 broke the proper implementation of "Prefer Bluetooth". TacoTRD, did you experience these problems on iOS 6?
Yes...iPhone 5 is plugged into USB via USB to lightning, and Apple lightning digital AV adapter plus HDMI. Unfortunately, I can't remember for sure if this was happening while I had iOS 6, because I had the headunit installed not too long before iOS 7 became available. I kinda want to say the issue started after the last Waze update...but still not sure.
OK... to test it, I turned on "Prefer Bluetooth", and it wouldn't work at all when plugged into USB, before or after making a phone call, although the phone call worked. "Play sound through phone speaker" also didn't work. So I closed Waze from the app switch screen and opened it up again, then it worked properly on Prefer Bluetooth, both before and after plugging into USB.

Sounds like it's not a perfect implementation, but try hard-resetting Waze and seeing if it works.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
kjstech wrote:Since the introduction to the sleep mode, Waze has been problematic. I wish there was an icon to quit instead of having to force quit it every time.

If its not force quit, Waze likely take over the audio. Consider this situation...
1. You arrive at destination and sleep waze.
2. At your destination you unlock your phone for whatever reason... Waze wakes up!!!! So you sleep it again and "app switch" to the springboard to do other things.
This can be resolved by arriving your destination, sleeping Waze, and then pressing the Home button before pressing the Lock button.

Presumably, Waze can't tell the difference between being launched from the icon on the home screen, and being reopened from the unlock screen after the phone is locked with Waze open. Basically the programmers have two choices:
  • Do not automatically wake up when reopening Waze. Even if you launch it by pressing the icon. This is really annoying—trust me. There were a lot of complaints about this in beta testing. The one advantage is avoiding the unlock problem as you described.
  • Automatically wake up when reopening Waze. When you're getting in the car you want to get going as quickly as possible; adding the extra step is real bad. The one disadvantage is as you described, but it can be taken care of by simply getting into the habit of pressing the Home button after you put Waze to sleep.
Why not leave it asleep when unlocking but not when launching from the Home screen? Simply, I don't think this is possible in iOS.
3. When your ready to go home, you get in the car, plug in audio cable and fire up audio program (music, sirius, pandora, slacker, etc...).
4. You get the music going then fire up Waze and as soon as its open the audio fades out. Slide up from the bottom to bring up the IOS 7 control center and the music fades back in. Tap out to Waze and the audio fades away.

The only fix is to force quit Waze and then relaunch it. Not necessarily user friendly fumbling with apps when your starting to drive out of your parking lot and onto the road.
This happens every time Waze wakes from sleep. It's a problem, I agree.

I detailed this problem here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=61610&start=120#p578373
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Nothing should work in sleep mode, I assume you mean when Waze is in the background.

This is a known issue, it's been around a little while I think, although I didn't notice it until recently (after all, how would I know there's an alert if it's in the background?) and I agree it should be fixed. Waze has said it "works as desired", but many of us have said that this is indeed not desired.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
It sounds like you have "Play sound through phone speaker" enabled in the Sound menu. l

sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
AlanOfTheBerg wrote: Maybe, but I would think that because iOS is in control here, that "Speaker" is equivalent to headphones.
As I recall, when I used to use a 3.5mm aux connection in my car, "Play sound to phone speaker" paused the music from the headphones and still played the sound to the phone speaker.

alyandon wrote:Please restore the ability to properly quit the application. The current version of the iPhone app is simply too unreliable to not have a proper quit function. [...]

Even if you address these UI problems with the upcoming update there is no way you can guarantee you haven't missed a corner case that will end up causing similar problems. Please add a way to completely exit the Waze application back in iOS.
Double-tap the home button and swipe up to "fling" the app into space. That's how you close all apps in iOS 7. If you're still on iOS 6, double-tap the home button and tap the "x" on the Waze icon.

It's been said about a hundred times in this thread so far. Waze is not allowed by Apple's guidelines to include a "Quit" function. Period. Non-negotiable.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message