These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by sketch
Still a problem:

If the route is recalculated, and the next turn is less than about 500 feet away, there will be no audible warning for the turn. No "in 500 feet take a right" warning and no "take a right" warning at the time of the turn, either.

People who have their screen off, their phone in the cupholder, or some other app open will hear the recalculate noise but will not get a further instruction. It's possible that someone driving in the wrong direction in a city will get a series of recalculated turn-rights for each block, none of which they will hear.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
edsonajj wrote:
sketch wrote:[...]

If the route is recalculated, and the next turn is less than about 500 feet away, there will be no audible warning for the turn. No "in 500 feet take a right" warning and no "take a right" warning at the time of the turn, either.

[...]
This has been like this for a long time, however I agree that it would be best that it give the instruction.
Yeah. Just posting it in this thread in hopes that maybe someone will add it to Bugzilla. I don't think it's on there now.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
It's possible there was an error in the routing server earlier today. I experienced some very strange routing around noon today. Such issues, while unfortunate, are usually temporary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
jasonh300 wrote: When auto-zoom by speed is turned on, a Wazer traveling at high speed on a road type "Street" will not be able to see the road they are traveling on.
I think this also happens with auto-zoom by distance if you are on a "Street" a significant distance from the next turn.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
omba_de wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:
omba_de wrote: Done.
;)
Link?
Uhm... How will you open it, when you're not a beta tester???

Btw... Not a single "thanks" (just wondering...)
Jason and I have voting access on Bugzilla, though we cannot add new bugs.

sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
omba_de wrote:Uhm... How will you open it, when you're not a beta tester???
This is not a beta-specific issue and this feature request (it's not a bug) should be submitted on bugzilla not centercode.

https://bugs.waze.com/show_bug.cgi?id=5558 so those with access can vote. I also rolled in CCDNs previous reported request to "Implement identical zoom level settings for landscape and portrait view" from the bugs/requests doc because these are related.
How about the failure to warn for turns after recalculation? Documented a few posts above? Could you add that too?

sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Scout may have real-time crowdsourced traffic, but they still don't have real per-segment historical speed data (how could they, they use third-party* maps), which makes a much bigger difference in everyday routing.

* Ok, maybe not "third-party", but not specific to Scout. Using Scout data to mess with TeleNav maps would mess with other static GPS devices in a weird way...
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Most likely not. TTS is handled by the app/server so it works essentially the same on all platforms.

I haven't experienced this, so I don't know, but it could potentially be a failed attempt to make it easier to have an "N" that ISN'T pronounced as "north", for things like "N.O. Hammond Hwy" and, similarly, "Robert E. Lee Blvd". Whether with periods or not, these had been pronounced "North Oh Hammond Highway", and "Robert East Lee Boulevard".

The current workaround is to put the letter in single quotes, so I take "Robert 'E' Lee Blvd" and "'N'O Hammond Hwy", which look bad but sound right. We've been asking for a solution; maybe they tried one?

This is all speculation, though.

sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
jasonh300 wrote:They need to differentiate between red-light cameras and speed cameras. Speed cameras need to be at least a mile.

Even at .3 miles for the red light cameras is a bit much. I was in heavy traffic for about an hour in an area with a lot of RLCs and it seemed like every time I looked at the screen, it was showing a RLC in 0.3 miles. The warnings were staying on the screen for 5-10 minutes at a time.
I disagree that speed cameras should be further. 0.3 miles seems about perfect for speed cameras, tbh. A speed camera, unlike a cop, can't move, and can't see you coming. It's only activated when you pass over the sensors. I could go 70 miles per hour, brake hard just before the camera to pass through at 35, and accelerate back to 70 right after that. 0.3 miles is plenty enough time to slow down from whatever speed you might be going before reaching the camera.

Red light cameras should have shorter distances, maybe 0.1 mile, but only if they're red light only, which brings me to my next point.

I would also like to see the addition of combo red light / speed cameras.

Every red light camera in New Orleans is also a speed camera. But there's no indication of that in the client, and some people may not realize it. If we put both at every applicable intersection, only one will show because Waze can only show one such alert at any given time.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Seems as if it isn't saying "north" unless it follows a number or a street type abbreviation, maybe. I haven't experienced this problem myself, but everything I drive regularly with a directional suffix is E or W.

Is this only with "N"?

sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message