Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by sketch
jhh3000 wrote: Same here. I'm getting all reports at 0.5 miles. Would we ever be able to configure the advance warning distances ourselves? I agree with 0.1 - 0.2 miles for red light cameras. 0.5 for road hazards. But I'd prefer at least 1 to 1.5 miles warning for police.
Accidents should also be reported well in advance, as well—which they may be doing, or may have done, at least in some cases. I recall receiving some accident notifications miles in advance, in the case of big traffic jams on the interstate in road trips. This was on a recent, but previous, version. That's a good idea and should be how it works (even if I remember it wrong)—if there's a big traffic jam, and there's an accident, construction, or similar report even miles ahead, Waze can determine the probable source of the jam and alert you early.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
If you'd rather not wait for Waze to make a sound before you can adjust the volume, disable "Change with Buttons" under the "Ringer and Alerts" section in the iOS Sound Settings menu. I found I never actually changed the volume on my ringer (it's always "loud" or "vibrate"), so now I have control over the media (and Waze) volume basically whenever.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
iainhouse wrote:
vickimachado wrote:Don't mean to detract from the previous poster, but I told a Wazer who posted a UR that I would pass this around.

He's observing that the roads disappear at spots at freeway speeds. Just FYI, not that I think this is a map issue, this is the segment he was on:

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&zo ... s=68648121

I'm assuming this is a network issue of some kind, but I don't think it existed in the previous version. Thanks for any thoughts on this.
This "feature" of the client has been around for a long time. . . .
Except that the segment is a freeway segment, which should never disappear. I would agree that it is likely a network issue.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
pjlasl wrote:I like the new design of the email conversations via the waze app, but I noticed that the levels are off by one. It appears to using the array index instead of the actual value: I am a level 5 editor, but my name shows up as pjlasl(4), the person I was talking to was user(0).
I noticed this too. They look very nice, it's great to have the whole conversation there.

More issues:
  • The times are in UTC, it appears. It would be useful if they were in my time zone, or at the least if it said "UTC" after the time.
  • It doesn't make much logical sense for the "reply" box to be at the bottom of a conversation that is organized newest-to-oldest. It would be nice if the box was on top of the latest reply. Keep it small, of course.
  • "Stop following the conversation" should probably be at the bottom. Too easy to hit accidentally.
  • The map doesn't seem to be working. It displays some nonsense set of boxes and lines.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
jhh3000 wrote:quick note / ask for the next revision: please add a delay to the search bar. when you begin typing, waze automatically begins running a search as you type, and this slows down older phones (i have a 3GS). thanks!!
Well, that is a feature—probably should be disabled on older phones, but not for everyone :)
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Does it connect to your car stereo via USB (rather than simply charging)?

The USB car stereo connection has been problematic for me in the past. I don't usually use it anymore. It seems the phone gets pretty bogged down with both Waze and USB-music running at the same time. I don't think it's ever completely frozen Waze, but it can get pretty laggy, especially for the first few minutes when the car is trying to index all your music files while Waze is trying to do its thing.

I haven't been using USB audio much since iOS 7, so I can't tell you for sure either way. For what it's worth, upgrading from the iPhone 4 to the iPhone 5 helped a good bit, but it didn't make the lag vanish.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Yeah, it sounds like it's most likely a problem with the phone trying to do too many things at once, causing significant lag.

Every USB car stereo I know of indexes the music files on the phone so that you can use the stereo or car buttons and/or voice controls to select songs. The process can take some time, especially if you have a lot of music—I have iTunes Match and many thousands of songs, so it takes Ford Sync quite a long time to index all the files on it. What's more, the next time you plug it in, the system compares its index with what's on the phone; if the library has changed at all since the last time the phone was connected to the car, it will force a reindex. The comparison process itself takes a small amount of time and resources.

The music function is baked pretty deeply into iOS, but the indexing process still causes some lag. Throw another app in the mix, Pandora or Spotify perhaps, and the phone is asked to do even more. So it tends to get bogged down.

The reality of automotive infotainment and smartphone integration is that it's all in its relative infancy. Not all car computers are as fast as they perhaps should be, and standardized connection protocols to make the whole process easier aren't here yet. It's sort of a pain, but as software updates for both smartphones and car systems become available, the situation will hopefully improve.

iOS 7 is a big update, and contains various multitasking improvements, most of which I don't understand. Upgrading may help, but I don't know for sure.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
dBsooner wrote:It sounds a lot like my issue though (see my post a couple pages back).. I don't plug into the stereo. I just use a USB charger. USB cord connected to a cigarette lighter to USB converter. I haven't tested if it unfreezes when not on the charger. I tend to ALWAYS have my phone on the charger because of how fast my battery dies (I use my phone constantly). But I will test this out tomorrow. It's not ALL the time like above, but it's pretty regular. Seems to be worse at night?
That's certainly a more interesting problem—if it's just a charger, that shouldn't really affect anything regarding the phone's CPU or RAM loads. If anything, you'd imagine the phone would be able to fun a little better.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by spankdog
jasonh300 wrote:viewtopic.php?f=3&t=68423

The option to turn off "Auto Learn Routes to frequent Destinations" seems to have disappeared, and it's been forced to "ON". This is on both iOS and Android based on the thread linked above (xstewiex99 is on Android).
I was about to post the same thing. This sucks!
spankdog
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message
USA Local Champ
USA Southeast WIKI

Post by spankdog
I forgot to mention that I am on the latest version of iOS and Waze
spankdog
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message