Proper "Vehicle on Shoulder" usage could save a life

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Proper "Vehicle on Shoulder" usage could save a life

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:13 pm

I'm sure this happens nearly every day around the country. This one caught my eye today: http://www.kgw.com/home/Man-hit-and-kil ... 59321.html. Just because the car isn't in the roadway or even is a few feet out of the driving lane, doesn't mean it shouldn't be flagged.
The car was about 3 feet from the fog stripe that runs alongside the interstate and Woods reportedly knelt beside the car to fix the tire with his feet on the stripe, Hastings said.

That's when a big-rig following another truck spotted Woods’ emergency flashers at the last second and tried to move quickly to the left lane. The rear tires of the trailer, however, went over the stripe and crushed Wood’s lower legs, Hastings said.

Two women in Woods’ car tended to him until an ambulance came and took him to the hospital where he died an hour later.

If a car is 8ft+ off the road, you probably don't need to mark it. But 3-5ft, you should. But don't abuse it.

I also totally agree with the article that drivers need to pull WAY off the roadway before getting out for whatever reason. This man, unfortunately, made a poor choice.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.1 | Waze v3.7.9.925
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Return to Waze App