Windows Phone v3.7.6 Official Feedback Thread

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Windows Phone v3.7.6 Official Feedback Thread

Postby PJStocker » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:35 pm

:D
brighcj wrote:First let me thank the Waxe crew for releasing the WP8 Version of waze today!

Dies the WP version lack voice recog for reporting? I can't find any settings for it. I guess I find that odd, because that's singularily the biggest importance to me on this app. It strikes me as an odd feature to lack, considering how well tell-me is integrated into other, less important and lesser apps. I figured voice recog would be a given. :/

is there a timeline for when this feature will be added?

not trying to whine, just expressing concern for a feature. Again thanks! :)

The instructions say to go to voice commands, but this does not show up on the settings list as it does in the instructions
PJStocker

Postby psonio7 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:29 am

gerben wrote:Is anybody on GDR3 yet? In the Beta forums some users reported that the battery drain was much less on GDR3.

I updated my Lumia to GDR3 today and will test the battery drain tomorrow.

I am on a Lumia 520 that is on GDR3 (but not Nokia Black, using a Preview for Developers account). I do NOT experience any battery drain with Waze running while charging. It even charges up to 100% while Waze is running (at a rate around 35-55%/hr). Had it on for about 2 hours one drive. Did not get too warm and when I took it off the charger, it was at 100%.

Do not know what kind of charger I am using. All I know is it is a typical micro-USB to 12V outlet Walmart charger. I'll check the amps when I get a chance.

Otherwise this was my last remaining "wish-list" app coming from Android/iOS world to WP8!

EDIT: Requesting the use of a Live Tile option like the Android Widget. Something that can show current commute times to work/home (based on where I am at)
psonio7

Postby Purplechicken86 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:16 pm

I can't connect to Facebook while in the app. Can anyone help?
Purplechicken86

Postby Qyv42 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:08 am

BoxSoft wrote:There is, to an extent:

1. Click on someone's address, it will take you to the map (not Waze's).
  2. Click on the "up arrow" icon to get directions. It shows a basic route on that map.
  3. Press the "right turn arrow" icon to launch a navigation app.
  4. Choose your desired app. My list shows Waze and HERE Drive+.

So it seems to be hooked in, just like Nokia HERE.

Mike

Your steps above work, but unlike with the HERE apps, the actual directions don't seem to be getting passed in to Waze so that it generates a route. I always use the Search button on the phone to quickly find whatever location I'm looking for, then get directions via the WP maps app and then go to HERE Drive via the "right turn arrow" as you note above. With HERE Drive, the route is automatically generated if I do that, but with Waze, the app just launches and nothing else happens, so I have to do all searching from within Waze. This isn't a huge deal, but one of the cool things about Windows Phone is the ability to pin things like a contact to the Start screen - that way I have their contact info handy, and can also get directions to any address in that contact if needed. So it would be great if Waze could integrate with the WP maps app and get the directions handed off when Waze is launched from that entry point.
Qyv42

Postby Qyv42 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:55 am

There has been some question in this thread about whether Waze is equivalent to other apps which make heavy/continuous use of the GPS, or if it is actually drawing more power than those apps. I was on a road trip this week so decided to run a test. With the same conditions (e.g. phone position in car, type of charger, destination, etc.), on my Lumia 1020 running the "Black" update, I used Waze for 30 mins, and then Here Drive for 30 mins, noting the battery life at the start and end of each cycle. I did this cycle two times to try and reduce variability.

I found that in 30 mins, Waze was able to drain the battery of my 1020 by 4-5% even while on a charger. When I switched over to Here Drive, the battery was able to charge back up by approximately the same amount within 30 minutes. Switching back to Waze showed the same drain consistently, while with Here Drive I was consistently able to charge (albeit very slowly). The other thing I noticed was that the phone definitely got much warmer using Waze than with Here Drive - with Waze, after 30 mins, the phone was almost too hot to touch, while with Here Drive, it got warm but not hot.

Note that this was driving on a highway, so the conditions were not identical from cycle to cycle, but I kept an eye on things like phone signal strength, and things averaged out pretty well, so I don't think there were any external conditions that were affecting the testing in any significant way. One other experiment I tried after the testing above was putting my phone in airplane mode, to see if some of the extra drain was coming from usage of the cellular radio. Leaving the phone in airplane mode did not noticeably reduce the battery drain nor the temperature of the phone, so it seems like the usage of the GPS itself is the primary cause.

Bottom line: I don't know what Waze is doing differently than Here Drive - perhaps offline map data helps? - but it seems like there could be some opportunities to improve the power usage of the Windows Phone version.
Qyv42

Postby Radicchibelotto » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:36 am

Hi! Thanks for bringing waze for windows phone! Great app!

I am getting the battery drain issues. I got in a WP8 community that the battery drain bugs is happening at Lumia 920. Lots is similar complains

my phone got extremely hot and my car charger can't keep it!!! I use here drive too and the battery consuming is really lower!!!
Radicchibelotto

Postby rallyrabbit » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:52 am

Thanks for bringing the App to WP8, so far it is stable.

One issue, Nokia 820 hardware running OS 8.0.10328.78. Waze App (latest on the Marketplace) 3.7.3.208.

1) When a route is started, it calculates the route well. When the go button is pressed there is no "Let's get started, Drive Safe" message like on Android or IOS. Though this may be normal.

2) When a route/navigation is active, the navigation button still says navigation. There is no way to cancel an currently navigated routed unless you choose a new route or you close the app entirely and re-open it.
rallyrabbit

Postby rallyrabbit » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:18 pm

Another small issue. At least on the Nokia 820 and 920. When using zoom based on speed, when it zooms out at 45mph/70kmh, you can no longer see most roads other than major roads. I have been doing a side by side comparison with Android on a Galaxy S-III to compare the map zoom. The WP8 app definitely zooms out and loses road focus while the android app does not.
rallyrabbit

Postby rapiddani » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:03 am

brighcj wrote:4) phone gets really warm, uses Bart faster than my 3.1a charger can give, I've got a 4.2a charger in the mail now. But, if there's anything that can be done on this, it would be greatly appreciated, as right now, long road trips are out for waze.

Phone getting hot is OK... We are used to it by now... Playing any 'more serious' game gives the same effect.
For me the biggest flaw is that, while using Waze the battery drains more than it charges (L920 GDR2)...
today I started from 100% fresh off the charger - was driving and wazing (3g network) for about ~50mins, while constantly charging with Nokia cr-200 - at the end battery is drained down to 65%.... that means I couldn't even use it for 3 hours with this charger.
rapiddani

Postby revdre » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:56 pm

My 920 is also getting insanely hot. Another issue I have is that I can not turn off the voice prompts. Even if I turn the volume down it still blasts out at full volume. On android I was able to silence all alerts via the app.
revdre

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App