Screen Burn WARNING and suggestion please

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Screen Burn WARNING and suggestion please

Postby killasan » Wed May 07, 2014 10:55 pm

I have a galaxy s4 and my screen has also burned in. I use waze about 1.5 hours continously am and pm but on night settings, powersaver brightness down and ac on in my car. I have noticed awhike back the speedometer friend count and navigation pointer has been burned on my screen. Waze never informed us that this was posssible. I woukd not have used it if I knew back then. And guess what I am fresh out of warranty as of 1mnth ago. Sucks alot but the problem is real for those of ypu who still hasnot been affected. Beware
killasan

Postby RTExpress » Mon May 19, 2014 2:00 pm

Another Samsung Galaxy (S3) with AMOLED screen user here... I've been using Waze for only about a month. Started at about 3 hours a day for commuting and then used it during a vacation trip of about 3,000 miles, with close to 60 hours of driving during a two week period and now have some noticeable screen burn. I can see the top direction / status bar as well as the speedometer circle. Phone is set to auto-brightness and most of the driving has been sunny day-time driving.

I'll be playing with settings on phone and whatever is in Waze to see if I can slow this situation.
RT Express

RTExpress

Postby Wibbly_Wobbly » Mon May 19, 2014 2:08 pm

I don't see this as a Waze probem per-se.

ANY app that leaves static screen elements will cause this problem with this kind of screen. It's just that navigation apps tend to be used for long time periods with the screen at high brightness making the burning happen quicker and more obviously.

To me it's not Waze that should warn you of this, it's the phone's manufacturer!! It's the screen technology THEY choose to use that creates this kind of problem. If there are certain types of app or use cases that cause this hardware degradation, then it's a poor choice of hardware for this kind of application... and they should tell you...
Wibbly_Wobbly

Postby RTExpress » Mon May 19, 2014 2:33 pm

wibblyw wrote:I don't see this as a Waze probem per-se. ...

Agreed. I'm not blaming Waze and its functionality -- just putting it out there that this is happening for some screens, and it might be nice to have some options in the app to help reduce this.

This is also the first always-on-for-long-periods app that I've used. I'm sure I would see the same for any app that's on for long periods with static display elements.
RT Express

RTExpress

Postby Wibbly_Wobbly » Mon May 19, 2014 2:58 pm

I remain unimpressed by AMOLED tech (for now). In the earlier days even the standard Android status bar (being a static element) would lead to burn-in in this area. As I recall Samsung changed the colours used in the status bar to lessen this affect in later iterations of their phones. All a bit "tail wagging the dog" - trying to find work-arounds because the technology can't quite cope with delivering the standard Android design approach - if you see what I mean...

And as I recall the AMOLED colours degrade over time at different rates Blue, Green, and then Red too - so the software in the phones has to drive the fading colours proportionately harder over time to maintain overall colours correctly.

But Samsung have the lion's share of the Android market and have produced millions of AMOLED screens, so it can't all be bad. ;-)
Wibbly_Wobbly

Postby Rokcet » Wed May 21, 2014 2:58 am

...and global warming has only just started!
Rokcet

Postby zestybonanza » Wed May 28, 2014 9:35 pm

zestybonanza

Postby stevebor1 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:08 am

I have a Nokia Lumia 1020 and use my Waze 30 min each way to work and home. I now have screen burn-in from using waze :(

They should hide anything consistently showing on the screen.
Attachments
Waze-Burn-In.jpg
waze app burn in nokia lumia 1020
Waze-Burn-In.jpg (68.31 KiB) Viewed 983 times
stevebor1

Postby felohidalgo » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:23 am

I had used Waze for more than 100.000 km with 2 cell phone neither those got burn, it seems more like a hardware problem.
Felipe Hidalgo
Coordinador Costa Rica

WIKI COSTA RICA
EDITOR DE MAPAS
PUBLICIDAD EN WAZE
felohidalgo
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby stevebor1 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:49 pm

Agreed that this is not Waze's fault, but knowing that there are issues with this screen type and knowing the typical use case (App stays on screen for long periods), waze should offer additional solutions, like periodically moving, hiding, or changing the colors used on persistent images.
At a minimum, there should be a warning, if not already there.
stevebor1

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App