These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Accident Type Descriptions

Post by SlowlySlowly
The user manual in the section on reporting has the following:
Minor Accident (fender benders with minor or no injuries, also no fatalities)
Major Accident (major damages to vehicle, major injuries and possible fatalities)
How does reporting a major accident differ internally to Waze from reporting a minor one? How do Wazers react seeing a major accident versus a minor one on their route options?

It seems to me that the definition of accidents based on the amount or severity of damage is of little use. As a driver trying to understand the nature of passenger injuries or what constitutes major damage to vehicles is not an easy assessment. What is of importance is the effect that that accident will have on traffic. I think we could do a better job of separating a minor and a major accident.

By defining these terms instead based on the information the Wazer has available we make reports more consistent and are able to use the information more effectively.

I am curious therefore if you have a working definition of major versus minor accident that differs from what is written in the manual.
SlowlySlowly

POSTER_ID:277247

Send a message
Stephen Cerruti (scerruti)
<Former> Area Manager for Coastal North San Diego
Oceanside, Vista, Carlsbad
Equipment: Galaxy Nexus, Chrysler Town & Country
Will code for food.

Post by alexs001
I think your assessment of the impact the event is having on traffic is as good as any reason to choose major or minor. There is essentially no difference.

Also, remember that reporting an accident won't trigger automatic rerouting for others. The speed at which you (and others) travel past the incident is what will tell the servers that traffic is moving slowly in the area.
alexs001
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 9
Send a message
Local Champ: Canada
Area Manager: Okanagan Valley, BC / Newfoundland and Labrador

https://s.waze.tools/c6.png https://s.waze.tools/s0500.png