These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Guidance Voice changes language automatically

Post by TwanVeugelers
Hi.

I have been using Waze for almost two years now.
First on my HTC One X with (Nederland - English) Waze set to English, Voice Guidance set to English.
This worked fine for the entire time.

Since a couple of weeks I have a new phone.
Now LG G2 (Nederland - Nederlands) Waze set to English, Voice Guidance set to Dutch with TTS.
So far it works well.

Now for my issue.

I live fairly close to the German border (>3KM) so I drive into Germany quite often. Since I have this new setup, the Voice Guidance changes auto-magically to German Voice Guidance once I start Waze again, while in Germany. This is quite annoying, as my German is good, but I am Dutch, not German.

Why does it change to the language of the country where I start Waze at all? Now I'm afraid to drive to France or Poland, as I don't speak a word of French or Polish......

Waze version is 3.7.8.0

I have looked through the settings, and this does not seem like intended behavior, I can not imagine it is.

Please advice.

grtz,
Twan Veugelers
TwanVeugelers

POSTER_ID:8588002

Send a message

Post by kdevries
Beste Twan,

You have probably choosen a voice option with streetnames. This automatically changes when you cross the border. You should choose a voice without streetnames( bv Jaap Erik for Dutch)

Groet,

Katrinus

PS je bent ook welkom op het Nederlandstalige forum
kdevries
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
https://s.waze.tools/gc.png
Regio Manager: Fryslân
Country Manager: The Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg
Country Manager: Denmark
Bekijk de wiki
Waze woordenlijst

Post by Rokcet
The same – unexpected change of the set turn-by-turn voice's local language to English – happened to me a number of times in the past year. No spoken streetnames selected, BTW. And in my case there weren't any borders involved. Eventually it dawned on me that it always seemed to happen just after a(n automatic) Waze update. Reconfirming the turn-by-turn voice language in the settings and restarting the app solved the problem. Until the next update...

P.S. Ik gebruik de stem van Claire. Vind ik beter verstaanbaar dan Jaap-Erik.
Rokcet
Send a message

Post by Rokcet
twanveugelers wrote:Yes, I use a voice guidance with TTS (street names).
Ik word er knettergek van als èlke straatnaam uitgesproken wordt. Dan is Waze praktisch voortdurend "aan het woord". Conversatie in de auto of luisteren naar de radio is dan onmogelijk.
But still it should not change automatically with crossing a country border.
Does Waze also do that if you do not restart Waze, Twan?
Rokcet
Send a message

Post by TwanVeugelers
Nobody ever experienced this?
TwanVeugelers
Send a message

Post by TwanVeugelers
Yes, I use a voice guidance with TTS (street names).

I have now noticed it is dependent on the phone going over into roaming.

This is a very annoying, and completely unnecessary "feature".

grtz,
Twan
TwanVeugelers
Send a message

Post by TwanVeugelers
Rokcet wrote:
twanveugelers wrote:Yes, I use a voice guidance with TTS (street names).
Ik word er knettergek van als èlke straatnaam uitgesproken wordt. Dan is Waze praktisch voortdurend "aan het woord". Conversatie in de auto of luisteren naar de radio is dan onmogelijk.
Vind het wel meevallen.... ;)
Does Waze also do that if you do not restart Waze, Twan?
Oh yes, as soon as my Phone goes from my Dutch Network to the German Network (3G/4G) Waze changes the voice guidance, a restart is not even necessary. The same goes for driving back, as soon as my phone changes back to the Dutch Provider, the Voice Guidance changes back to the Dutch TTS voice.

grtz,
Twan
TwanVeugelers
Send a message

Post by TwanVeugelers
I can imagine that dutch TTS has trouble with pronouncing German street names, and that is the reason that the Voice Guidance is changed. But you would suspect that it would be changed to another (nonTTS) Dutch voice guidance, not to the voice guidance of the language predominantly spoken for the area you are driving in at the moment.

grtz,
Twan
TwanVeugelers
Send a message