Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

When Waze should learn about potentially incorrect speeds

Post by numbermaniac
I think it got false data from somebody...

numbermaniac
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:16845872

Send a message
Last edited by numbermaniac on Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
numbermaniac wrote:...what...i'm just saying that it needs to recognise when speed data is incorrect...
It does, as soon as Wazer goes through the area at a faster speed. That won't change the display right away as that only updates when the app connects to the real time servers every two minutes.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
numbermaniac wrote:Sure, but I mean it might put the user on a more convoluted route becuase of this speed data. All I'm saying is waze should be able to detect when speed data like this is just wrong.
As can be implied from the "every two minutes" situation, the display on other devices may not update until 4 min after a jam has been cleared. So, not only does it take a couple minutes to update, but it may be a couple minutes before your phone shows the change. However, as soon as Waze has drivers go through a (previous) jam, the real time servers do update and the routing server will have the correct data despite what your phone shows.

However, it will always take Wazers going through a jam before it can clear. You can't prove there is no jam unless someone drives through the segment.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by DippyDawg32
I understand the updating part, but at the same time I agree with Numbermaniac. Here's why:

Just yesterday, I was leaving work. Although, I know my way home, I have Waze route me home, it suggested a route that I HARDLY ever take (the 91FWY if you are in SoCal) because it's always a nightmare. When I checked other routes, my normal route was actually 12+ minutes longer. So, I thought, what the heck I'll go with Waze.

It was 2:18p, it said I'd be home by 3:32p.

It takes me 15 minutes to get to the 91. I got to it and shortly merging I was in 'heavy' to 'stand still' traffic. It was this way all the way to the 71! There is NO way that traffic backed up that fast to where Waze couldn't have rerouted me as I was driving to the 91!

I didn't get home till 4:20p!

I was just frustrated that Waze didn't reroute me. I can't imagine any other freeway at that time was any worse because other freeways in the area are never worse than the 91 on any given day (same goes for 405).

That all said, is it safe to say that Waze would recalculate based on the new data provided every 2 minutes and actually calculate and say, "You know, although this route looks bad, my driver, this is the best way," or, "You know, I'm going to re-route you because it's just a nightmare all the way!"

I honestly like the app over other apps, I'm just frustrated with it's rerouting and have doubts that it doesn't do it willingingly...only if I've actually divieated from the route myself, then it re-routes.

Let me further back this up: The other day we were on our way to Disneyland, again, I know my way there, yet it was having me take the 57-South and exit Katella, yet I exited Ball Road. Prior to exiting, our arrival time was going to be 6:11p by way of Katella. Once I exited Ball Road, it immediately was telling me to make a left on the first street and follow other streets in a U-shape fashion to get me back to the 57-South to take to Katella. Once I passed that first street, it noted the same exact thing on the next street, both with the arrival time bumping up to 6:12p due to my rebellious driving. Once I past that 2nd street, it finally routed the way we always go, which is down Ball...the kicker, the arrival time dropped from 6:12p to 6:07p!

So, if taking Ball Road was a faster route, why didn't it calculate that in the beginning? AND once I got off on Ball Road, why did it keep trying to get me back onto the freeway to go one more exit down to Katella when Ball Road is clearly the faster route.

See, that's why I think there are some issues with it routing. I'm not sure what it is that is not allowing Waze to 'think' more clearly and route the Fastest route.

I'm open for some reasoning. Again, I like the app, just a little bothered by these two situations.

Thanks
DippyDawg32
Send a message

Post by numbermaniac
Waze probably needs to learn about speed data that could be incorrect.
numbermaniac
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by numbermaniac
...what...i'm just saying that it needs to recognise when speed data is incorrect...
numbermaniac
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by numbermaniac
Sure, but I mean it might put the user on a more convoluted route becuase of this speed data. All I'm saying is waze should be able to detect when speed data like this is just wrong.
numbermaniac
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Rokcet
What is your point or question?
Rokcet
Send a message

Rokcet
Send a message