These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Waze & IPhone battery

Post by llayden
On a four hour trip at the weekend, with my IPhone (3 GS) fully charged at the start and plugged in to my car charger, with Bluetooth and Wifi turned off, the phone discharged to 8% at journey end. The phone's about 15 months old but apart from waze the battery is behaving ok. The phone switched frequently from 3G to 2G to no G. At this rate, Waze is close to unuseable.

Is this normal for waze?
llayden

POSTER_ID:1446296

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
That sounds not too far off the mark in terms of power usage. As was mentioned, constant use of GPS receiver and data services will significantly drain the battery. I never drive without my iPhone plugged in.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
rsammon wrote:i'm sorry, are you all saying its normal for your iphone to still drain the battery using GPS WHILE it's plugged in?? If that's "normal behavior" the iPhone is worse than I thought lol
You confused me at first. Then I reread the OP and realized I jumped to a confusion. Again.

While plugged in? Absolutely not. I would make sure the charger is really working.

My iPhone4 definitely charges up while running Waze for hours at a time, but it is quite slow. If I enable wifi tethering at the same time (for all those wifi i-devices in a passenger van full of kids), I have seen it charge at 1% over the course of 2 hours.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I've used the Belkin chargers for a while. I've noticed that the dual USB car charger can only charge two devices at 1/2 speed, and when two iPhones are plugged in and I'm running Waze, the battery will drain.
unwallflower wrote:You jumped to a confusion, eh? :P
Famous for it. :)
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by hallmike
I have an Android phone and I get 4 to 4.5 hours of battery life with Waze running too. A good car charger is worth every penny.
hallmike
Send a message
https://photos.imageevent.com/hallmike/ ... llmike.jpg ...when you care enough to Waze the very best

Post by hallmike
Sorry - I missed the part about it being plugged in as well. I used to have an iphone and it made a difference which car charger I used. The cheap no name charger I got off ebay could not keep up and the battery still drained. Then I splurged and bought an official Apple approved charger and it worked great. All chargers are not created equal.
hallmike
Send a message
https://photos.imageevent.com/hallmike/ ... llmike.jpg ...when you care enough to Waze the very best

Post by jmp316
I always have my iPhone 4 on a charger using Waze. Assuming most wazers use it like I do (as a GPS), you're not only using the location services, but the screen is constantly on, and it is constantly connecting to the internet, which all drain power significantly...
jmp316
Send a message

Post by robin1979
Location services consume a great deal of battery power on mobile phones. Also, searching for network (3G/2G/...) uses large amounts of power (switching 3G off in an area with mediocre coverage will help considerably).

All in all - pretty normal.
robin1979
Send a message
MapSquadEurope
Area Manager - Europe

Post by Rsammon4281
i'm sorry, are you all saying its normal for your iphone to still drain the battery using GPS WHILE it's plugged in?? If that's "normal behavior" the iPhone is worse than I thought lol
Rsammon4281
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Making GPS easier for YOU, one segment at a time......

Southern Ontario Area Manager
1999 Chevrolet Cavalier and 2006 Freightliner Columbia
Blackberry Torch 9800

Post by unwallflower
AlanOfTheBerg wrote: You confused me at first. Then I reread the OP and realized I jumped to a confusion. Again.
You jumped to a confusion, eh? :P

If you don't have a ton of other power-hungry apps running, I'd be inclined to say there is something wrong with the charger (or your phone!). That's not normal behavior at all.
unwallflower
Send a message