These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Waze blocks my mobile data access

Post by hydebones
Hello,

I would like to have your support to fix a problem that occurs to me once in while but it is pretty annoying:

Sometimes when I turn on Waze, my mobile data gets blocked (I cannot browse or use any other apps that requires mobile data connection, even Waze display a message stating that is searching for a mobile network). The funny thing is that the 3G/H+ icon appears in the top bar of my phone but data is not working.

Then, if I connect to a Wi-Fi network (and then turn off the Wi-Fi), the mobile data access is restored. The problem is that sometimes this happens when there is no open/accesible Wi-Fi networks around and I have to wait until I get back home to fix it.

I am using a Samsung Galaxy S3 with Android 4.3 and my Waze version is 3.7.8.0.

I really appreciate your kind support.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Regards.
hydebones

POSTER_ID:16938998

Send a message

Post by Rokcet
Hydebones wrote:Hello,

I would like to have your support to fix a problem that occurs to me once in while but it is pretty annoying:

Sometimes when I turn on Waze, my mobile data gets blocked (I cannot browse or use any other apps that requires mobile data connection, even Waze display a message stating that is searching for a mobile network). The funny thing is that the 3G/H+ icon appears in the top bar of my phone but data is not working.

Then, if I connect to a Wi-Fi network (and then turn off the Wi-Fi), the mobile data access is restored. The problem is that sometimes this happens when there is no open/accesible Wi-Fi networks around and I have to wait until I get back home to fix it.

I am using a Samsung Galaxy S3 with Android 4.3 and my Waze version is 3.7.8.0.

I really appreciate your kind support.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Regards.
Whether Waze is or isn't the problem can be established quickly enough by uninstalling it, rebooting the S3, making sure you can e.g. browse the web on mobile, then reinstalling Waze, and testing it again.

But I don't think the app, Waze, is the cause of the problem you describe, but that your device is having trouble picking up and connecting to mobile networks. So then it would be either a hardware or a firmware problem. Not a software problem.
Since you say the 3G/H+ icon is active but you can't actually connect via mobile networks* it looks like a firmware problem.

*Can you initiate and receive actual audio phone calls when Waze displays the message you mentioned?
If not, the problem is a major one because it means that your mobile phone doesn't work as a mobile phone when it is mobile...

In that case I would advise 1) to make a good backup data set of the phone, stored on another device*, and then 2) resetting your S3 to factory settings, 3) restoring everything to the S3, and 4) testing whether it's all made any difference before I would 5) have to make the decision to have it repaired or replaced entirely.

Mod Note: Edited to remove external links
Rokcet
Send a message