Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by bz2012
I DON'T find the 'and then' useful when there are several possible turning places in between the point where the 'and then' was issued and the actual correct place to turn.

I find it WRONG and DANGEROUS in those cases.

I agree that it IS useful in some cases, but previously I received correct instructions in such a case on my route home where I needed to make a left turn and then immediately turn right, the directions were correct.

Last night, along a different route to my house, WAZE told me to turn left (correct) and then turn right (incorrect because there were THREE wrong 'right turns' before the correct right turn.

For someone unfamiliar with the area, they would have gotten lost.
For someone in traffic, on an expressway, they could have had an accident.

If it had said ...and then turn right after 500 feet onto ... THEN it would be much better.

Sometimes, on the way to work, today, it did well by saying 'and then turn ... on ....'
However at one point, on the expressway, it gave too short notice at a point of decision. It needs to take driver reaction time delay and travel speed into account when it says 'keep left' at the start of an exit ramp.
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by bz2012
The new version still has a problem that I have reported many times:
The 'speaker volume' gets reset to zero over night.

I have 'prefer bluetooth' checked.

When I start in the morning without my bluetooth turned on, I hear NOTHING from the speaker until I turn up the volume.
When I head home at lunch time, WAZE remembers the volume from earlier and I don't need to turn it back up.

Sometimes, if I activate my bluetooth, the volume is the volume I have 'set' within WAZE.

I am not sure this problem is still here:
On bluetooth, when the volume was zero, if I used the volume control ON the blue tooth, it would use that volume for the current voice prompt and reset to zero for the next prompt.
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by bz2012
The morning, no voice navigation audible.
I didn't have my bluetooth with me.

I DO have the option 'prefer bluetooth' but that SHOULD use the speaker if no bluetooth.

Either that or they should make the two choice:
use speaker AND prefer blue tooth so that they can BOTH be turned on at the same time.
(that would be the logical way to configure things)
1) both off, no sound
2) speaker only on, use only speaker
3) prefer blue tooth only on, use only blue tooth
4) both on, use speaker unless blue tooth connected, then use blue tooth.
The way it has been working, is that turning on 'prefer blue tooth' turns OFF the speaker button but if the blue tooth is not linked, the speaker is used, like option 4 above.
But it didn't seem to be working that way this morning.
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by bz2012
checked this morning on the way to work.

Could NOT get the speaker audio to work period for WAZE while navigating.

Could get the bluetooth to work.
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by bz2012
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
tbhall wrote:After applying this latest update from app store to iphone 4S, volume is too low to be helpful while driving. Using the volume button only brings up the ringer volume not the app volume.
It's been like this for years. Literally. You need to change the volume when a sound is playing or when voice command is activated. The hardware buttons only act on the currently open audio channel. Waze doesn't constantly keep the audio channel open, so when it's not playing a sound, iOS defaults the buttons back to ringer.
Never noticed that problem with the previous version. I DID need to turn the volume up the first time I used WAZE during a day, but it remembered the rest of the day.
Now, I can not get WAZE to put any sound out of the speaker at all.
It DOES use the bluetooth, when I have the bluetooth device turned on but even if I turn OFF 'prefer bluetooth' and turn on 'use speaker' it does NOT use the speaker (or the volume is zero and it doesn't let me turn it up).

The voice cues have gotten better now that the street name server seems to be working.
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by bz2012
Just allowing voice commands isn't enough. I allowed them in the previous version.
Perhaps disable and re-enable might work, or switching to another app that uses the speaker and switching back, but we should NOT need to know magic words and arcane gestures to make features like these work.

'Switching to voice memo and adjusting the volume' will do it.
Tried it on the way to work this morning and it worked!!!!
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message
Last edited by bz2012 on Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by bz2012
words from 'support'
I was discussing a problem with support and said:
Currently much more concerned with the MAJOR problems with the new IOS release.
See the ongoing discussion:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=96661
I hope SOMEONE at headquarters is reading the thread!!!!
SUPPORT REPLIED:
We are reading all the feedbacks and also managed to reproduce most of them (like direction heard too early or late - after the turn), missing some alerts (meters alerts), missing some street names alerts etc.. we're working to fix all these bugs and will release them in the new fixed version (3.8.1).
About the BT sound, we'll try to reproduce it.
If you have more feedback about the TTS (other than what I mentioned: missing meters alerts, Last minute turn alert / heard the alert after the turn, missing some street names, Double roundabouts causing some TTS issues) please let me know.
I told support that it would be reassuring if someone 'official' would post such information here.
Support said they couldn't do that but they gave me permission to post a quote.

It IS good to know that they ARE reading this, isn't it???? :)
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message
Last edited by bz2012 on Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post by bz2012
Saudujas wrote:I am encountering problems with the volume of the audio of the application, after the upgrade to version 3.8.0! The volume is too lower even the volume bar, in the application, being on maximum. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
try going to the 'voice memo' app and set the volume to max with the buttons.
Close voice memo and try WAZE.
That 'fixed' the volume for me.
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by bz2012
DeltaNu1142 wrote:
Saudujas wrote:I am encountering problems with the volume of the audio of the application, after the upgrade to version 3.8.0! The volume is too lower even the volume bar, in the application, being on maximum. Thanks.
I found this as well. I don't think that changing the "Voice Memo" app volume helped, as indicated above.
The volume bar IN the WAZE app does not seem to effect the speaker volume.
It was ONLY by using the buttons on the side of my iphone to increase the volume that I got sound from my speaker.
In WAZE, those buttons only effect the 'ringer volume' for some strange reason. (someone reported that DURING a WAZE voice announcement, the buttons would work, but how do you time things right to hit those buttons during the announcement?)
I switched to voice memo and turned up the volume using the buttons and that FIXED the speaker volume in WAZE.
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by bz2012
Strange 'no TTS audible' drive today:

I checked to make sure sound was on.
I switched to 'recorder' and made sure sound was up.
WHEN I CLOSED 'RECORDER' I HEARD one voice prompt before I re-opened WAZE.
No voice prompts heard after that!!!!!
I tried the 3 finger to open voice commands and checked, volume level was STILL UP.

EDIT: Today, I disabled the 'use buttons to adjust ringer' option and I went to WAZE and turned up the volume and this time I could hear the prompts. Clearly there are some strange interactions taking place.

This version is SO messed up that they either need to immediately issue update fixing this stuff or re-issue the previous version with a new number.
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message
Last edited by bz2012 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.