Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by sketch
papok wrote:The icon for "Keep Left" suggest a slight turn to the left rather than moving to the left line.

Papo.
It's worse when used to mean "stay in the left lanes", but it's better when used to mean "stay to the left at the fork", and the corresponding right side icon is better for "exit right".

IMO the new one is better more often. I think it's also easier to recognize at a glance. I understand what you mean though.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
@jp_hill / @atradem0:

The phone number doesn't have to be the same as the device you're using it on. You can enter the phone number for your phone, receive a message, and enter the code.

The phone number is similar to the verification that Google asks you to do with your Google (Gmail, etc.) account. It's also used in Waze to add friends – anyone with you in their phonebook/contacts can request to add you on Waze, and you can add anyone you have in your phonebook/contacts on Waze.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
RTPeat wrote:
omba_de wrote:Fill in the following as a destination in navigation:
cc@tts
Case sensitive
I've tried that already, along with a complete re-install - TTS is still broken.
Both of these might be hurting your case, actually.

Something is definitely wrong with the TTS server or the way the app connects to it. It works only occasionally; seems like it's better some times of the day and worse other times. But every time it DOES work, it saves the speech file to your cache, so if you take that road again you'll hear it again. So clearing your cache and reinstalling can actually hurt your case. And using it for a week without clearing your cache will make it at least halfway usable.

The server problem should only affect getting street names; Waze TTS voices include a big set of fallback phrases (like "turn left" alone) for when the download doesn't work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
omba_de wrote: Uhm... I could have asked in which crazy country do you live... But I didn't. And why? Cause several countries or continents (what do I know??) have several carrier plans.
And if you should ever move to the DACH-region you'll find no single carrier who offers a plan w/out SMS...
Possible in the US. My GF's mom "doesn't have texting". I know of others as well.

sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
turboluis wrote: delete the app and then use itunes to revert back to version 3.7.8 until developers figure out what went wrong with this update. and turn off automatic updates.
turboluis: Stop spamming this thread. You are taking up valuable space from people who have useful feedback.

This thread exists so developers can "figure out what went wrong". If you really want them to do that, you'll let them do their job. This is your warning.

sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Posting it once is enough. The thread isn't going anywhere.

This is a feedback thread, not an advice thread. There's nothing wrong with giving a little helpful advice, but that is not the primary purpose of this thread.

"spam [v.] 3. post unwanted electronic messages: to post a message many times to a newsgroup, or an inappropriate message to multiple newsgroups"

sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
BaconDog wrote: Good to know. And nice tip!

Well put to say 'open audio channel'. I knew (in general) about when the Ringer is adjusted and when the Volume is adjusted but I previously assumed that an app that used the audio channel always had it open.
Another option: go into iOS sound settings and turn off "change with buttons" for ringers and alerts. I did that a year or two ago and haven't looked back. My ringer is either on or off, you know? Much more convenient to be able to turn the volume up or down BEFORE starting a video or music anyhow.

sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
bz2012 wrote:Often the verbal cue is too early.
It says things like
"turn right then turn left".
The only problem is that the left is 3 blocks away but it sounds like the left is immediately after the right.
Totally agree. I registered the same complaint during beta testing. The "and then" functionality was better before IMO, but even then still needed a lot of work.
I actually very much like the new "and then" functionality. It just takes some getting used to. In previous versions the distance trigger was way too short; now, it's actually useful in many more situations. I tried in vain to tweak a few areas of the map to force an "and then". Never could. It works now, though, mercifully—and good thing, cause "stay to the left then exit right" is far more helpful than just "stay to the left" when you actually have to be in the third of four lanes to make that left exit.

I suggest not to let the old version get you down and start getting used to the new "and then" functionality, since it is one of the few things actually improved in this version.

BTW, I've noticed TTS is a lot better at street names late at night. I guess maybe it's a server load issue?

sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
I agree with some other posters that the final instruction comes too late, far too late at freeway speeds.

It only says "arriving at destination" instead of "arriving at home etc" because of the same TTS problem that plagues street names, at least if this wasn't changed from beta. Waze tries to get the string "arriving at McDonalds" or whatever, and when it fails, it's replaced with the general instruction.

sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
Yankee_Girl wrote:Does anyone know how to get the Siri voice back? My Waze app is set to "Samantha US" since I installed it about a year ago and until this update, he voice I heard was Siri. As of today (first day after the update) I have a different voice and do not seem to be able to change it back. The new voice is very annoying (to my ears at least ;) ) so any ideas are greatly appreciated!
Waze has never used Siri because Apple doesn't allow it. Previous version had Samantha and Tom for TTS voices. There are other voices which do not give street names though. You can choose any of those. But again, Siri was never one of them.
Nuance's Samantha, Waze's default TTS voice, is also the "Siri voice". Apple has since done (or gotten Nuance to do) some improvements, making Siri speak more "naturally", but they were born the same voice.

My guess is Samantha wasn't downloaded properly and the non-TTS voice (which I agree is rather annoying) is being used instead.

sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message