iOS 3.8.0 Feedback Thread

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: iOS 3.8.0 Official Feedback Thread

Postby BaconDog » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:29 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
BaconDog wrote:
  • The volume control buttons change the Ringer volume and not the app volume. I had to switch to a different app to change the volume and then go back to Waze

This has been an issue for quite some time, asked many times and answered just as often. Because Waze doesn't have a constantly open audio channel, the volume buttons when Waze isn't playing a sound, adjust the ringer volume and not the output volume which Waze will use. This is kind of by design of Waze and iOS, but it is annoying.

You can change the output volume with the hardware buttons when a sound is playing or when you activate voice commands and the "listening" prompt is on the screen.

Good to know. And nice tip!

Well put to say 'open audio channel'. I knew (in general) about when the Ringer is adjusted and when the Volume is adjusted but I previously assumed that an app that used the audio channel always had it open.
- Jeff -
iOS 7.1.1
Waze 3.8
BaconDog

Postby BaconDog » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:24 pm

Here are some things I have noticed.
  • The volume control buttons change the Ringer volume and not the app volume. I had to switch to a different app to change the volume and then go back to Waze
  • There are more voice language options (at least more than I remember). It would be nice to hear a sample of the voice when you select it. Perhaps a "Test Voice" button?
  • I've tried adding my wife as a contact and it doesn't seem to take. She is not a Wazer, but I like to send her my destination information anyways (anywaze? ;) ). I don't see her pretty face in the "Tap a Photo to Add a Friend" tray even though I've added her before.
- Jeff -
iOS 7.1.1
Waze 3.8
BaconDog

Re: iOS 3.8.0 Feedback Thread

Postby AWD_Stig » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:43 pm

I'm here to report on loss of TTS on iP5 with latest Apple firmware.

Also experiencing some crashes on startup, as well as general instability / inconsistency with Friends showing up on the main list.

P.S. I sign the petition to undo the phone-number registration for Waze. I assume this was a move dictated by Google to collect user information, but if it can be reversed, do so.

P.P.S. As this is my first time posting, I would like to say that I am glad that Waze has such a dedicated userbase to guide the decisions made by the development team. :mrgreen:
AWD_Stig

Postby atradem0 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:21 am

Would like an option to opt-out of providing a cell number. I have an iPad without a calling plan, and this means I can no longer send a "message" to my family about my ETA. Waze does not need a access to a cellphone...provide option for bypassing this (intrusive) requirement.
atradem0

Postby Anonymous_Bastard » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:43 am

Apologies if this has been covered already, or if this is the wrong venue for feedback, but Shark's email below pretty much summed up my feelings.
I've only used Waze for few months, but have grown to really appreciate it, and I go to great pains to participate enthusiastically.
However, this update sucks for me, and kills one of the main functions of Waze for me. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but in order to share a drive now, I can only seem to do so to a contact's phone via SMS. This is dumb. Granted, the old method of typing an email address in was probably dangerous and/or technically illegal in some states. But I just want to share my drive with my wife and my mom, who both have dumb phones. (My mom is elderly, and doesn't even have SMS). Before, I would simply email them the link, they would click on it, and everything was fine. Now, only my wife will get the SMS, which then goes nowhere. Unless she wants to painstakingly transcribe the link by hand (dumb and tiresome) into a browser (she will not do this), then the sharing function has effectively died for me.

As a workaround, I tried setting up another contact of her with ONLY an email address, but Waze does not recognize it.

The IDEAL fix would be if you can share a drive with a contact using EITHER their phone no. (SMS) OR their email, then have that saved as a favorite, or at least preserved in "Recent" so you can send people emails again quickly.

Another point about privacy. As Google, with all due respect, is not exactly a company to be necessarily trusted these days, it frankly creeps me out giving Waze access to all my contacts. I did it, but I didn't like it at all. (I can't wait for the day I accidentally text some drive to my boss or a sleeping business contact overseas.)

This update gives less functionality to the user, as well as less control over sharing.
Definitely a big step back, in my opinion.

The other lesson I learned is to WAIT and READ reviews before you update. Wish I could go back now.

Respectfully,

Duke

TheSharkThatAteSnuffy wrote:I have been using Waze for several years and have recommended it to many people, but this update makes me think that Waze has finally Jumped The Shark.

1. I now find that my actual username is being displayed on the map instead of a nickname! Did nobody at a Waze think that they should warn the users that this major change in privacy was happening? If you are going to start displaying personal information on a public map you should warn us that we need to change our usernames.

2. I can"t send my ETA to my wife without entering a phone number. I can find nothing on you site telling me what you will do with that phone number. The text on the screen implies that it is to help find friends. But I don't want to find friends on Waze. I just want to send an ETA to my wife.

I will stop using Waze now, if I don't see an update that fixes these mistakes in the next two months the software will be removed from my phone.

What a pity the product had to be destroyed like this.
Anonymous_Bastard

Postby angustherat » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:56 pm

I would think one of the bug fixes would have been to improve bluetooth microphone compatibility. This is the only app I have that can't hear me through my bluetooth head unit in my car.
angustherat

Postby AliG2605 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:13 am

Hi All,
See my comments on page 4 of this thread regarding street names not being called and confusing roundabout calls (due to lack of street names.)
***Good news***. My drive home tonight (same route) had all the street names read out correctly and that included the roundabouts.

However, I'm not a fan of the 'straight on' calling. First it will say 'take the second exit' and then when you get quite close (50m?) it will say 'go straight on'.

I hope the feedback helps and I hope the people who read these pages are the ones who will persist with the current app and provide feedback rather than uninstalling it and waiting for others to fix it…
Cheers
Image Image
AliG2605
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby AliG2605 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:16 pm

Some of the members in our community has noticed that they lost the TTS voices in the selection using iOs. Curious if anyone who has upgraded has experienced this :?:

I'm using the iOS version and found that it reads out some street names but not all of them.
On one road with multiple roundabouts it said "At the roundabout take the second exit, at the roundabout turn left". The turn left is for the roundabout after the one I was just approaching. (That is, I should be going straight ahead at the first roundabout and left at the following roundabout). This could be rather confusing if I didn't know where I was going…

Cheers
AliG
Image Image
AliG2605
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:14 pm

danianzueto wrote:Anybody have problems looking for places that include numbers in the name?

Interesting... There is a thread in the Navigation or Search forum regarding an issue with certain Places. They do happen to have numbers in them.

Actually, it's in this forum: https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=96599
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:45 pm

bz2012 wrote:In WAZE, those buttons only effect the 'ringer volume' for some strange reason. (someone reported that DURING a WAZE voice announcement, the buttons would work, but how do you time things right to hit those buttons during the announcement?)

No need to time it. I've written this I think 20 times in various threads: You can also adjust the device volume when you activate voice command. (Previously in this thread: https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... el#p816615)
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App