These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Hearing directions via bluetooth

Post by lubated
Hello
I finally got a car with bluetooth, looking forward to connecting my iphone 5 to it and hear the directions over the car speakers. The car (Mazda) connects to the phone just fine. But the car makes yo choose an audio source: radio, phone, CD, iphone via bluetooth, or iphone via USB connection. If I choose either of the iphone connections, I can hear the Waze instructions just fine (even if listening to my iphone music, which fades when the Waze instructions come through). But if I am listening to any other audio source (like the car radio), I can no longer hear Waze (the car's built in navigation system always works, regardless of the audio source used). Basically, it seems like the car treats Waze as if it were simply media coming from the phone; either you are listening to your phone or not. But I would like to have Waze act like the car's navigation system, and come through over the Bluetooth connection even if I am listening to the car radio. Am I doing something wrong or is this just the way it is?
thanks

Ed
lubated

POSTER_ID:16951496

Send a message

Post by Al61
Same question. I have an S4 and there is no Prefer BT option. I have not be able to get the Waze App to play in the car via BT.
Al61
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
When you are listening to another source, you must select "prefer BT" in the Waze sound settings. This will allow it to "break into" the audio playing on the car stereo using the BT headset connection like your phone does for phone calls.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by bowieb2
Can this be done in the Android version as well? Mine doesn't have a "prefer BT" option in the sound settings.
bowieb2
Send a message

Post by cleigh0829
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:When you are listening to another source, you must select "prefer BT" in the Waze sound settings. This will allow it to "break into" the audio playing on the car stereo using the BT headset connection like your phone does for phone calls.
When I hit "prefer bt" every time it goes to tell me directions it connects as if my phone is calling someone! Any clue how to fix this?
cleigh0829
Send a message

Post by eric05Peaceful
,my BT works as a phone call but there is always a delay on my dedicated Bluetooth speaker or my headset if the source is not set to BT which causes me to miss some directions from Waze. Very annoying
eric05Peaceful
Send a message

Post by Stu_the_K
I have virtually the same issue as Ed not having Waze break in like the phone or car's Nav program if I'm docked:

I have an iPhone 5S. I also have a 2007 Mercedes E350. I have a Viseeo Bluetooth device which pairs with my phone for calls only (it is instead of the MB brand Bluetooth device that does the exact same thing). For my dock I have an iPhone 5 style plug attached to a cradle with a 30 pin connector on the the other end. That plugs into a 30 pin cord that splits to a USB cord (for power and is attached to a cigarette lighter plug) and a standard headphone like jack that goes into my MP3 port in the glove box. That way, I can power my phone and get "line out" quality from my iPhone played through the stereo when it is set to Aux. It is also more convenient as the plug to the iPhone is at the bottom of my holder, so I only have to slip the iPhone into the cradle.

Regardless if I'm listening to my Sirius radio or the regular radio, if a call comes in the BT picks it up and plays through the speakers, albeit at telephone quality, not music quality. So, I know the iPhone and the BT are connected. (The car's built in Sat/Nav will also break into Aux, Radio or Sirius)

Likewise, if I do not have the iPhone in the dock and I'm using a navigation program, like Waze or Google Maps, it will interrupt the radio and give me the instructions over the same telephone connection. Again, that means the iPhone and the BT are connected for the Nav program as well.

If I have iPhone in the dock (cradle) and I have the Benz stereo set to Aux the Nav program plays through the stereo with much better quality than the normal BT/Telephone quality. That is all fine and good.

Here is my problem: when I put my iPhone into the dock the Nav programs will then only play the turn announcements if I have the Benz stereo set to Aux. For some reason they do not/cannot detect that even though I'm in plugged into the stereo (Aux), that is not the selected source and should therefore use the BT.

Are there settings I'm missing to have either of those Nav programs use the BT for the turn announcements even if docked, but the dock is not the currently selected source on my stereo?

I did make sure that "Prefer Bluetooth" is on in Waze and it doesn't make a difference.

Is there any Nav program that will work as I want?

Thanks,

Stuart
Stu_the_K
Send a message