Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Voice Commands has no set language option

Post by RenoHuskerDu
Waze Voice Commands only seems to speak the French language while in France. As soon as you touch three fingers, it starts saying something in French. This is quite unfortunate, as not everyone that drives in France speaks French. France is in the middle of Europe and many drive thru it on the way to somewhere else.

Voice Commands should have a 'set language' option, but so far I have not found it. The help pages here are silent on the issue of setting Voice Commands language. You can change your overall Waze language, and the Guidance language, but Voice Commands still speak French.

A simpler option would be to have Voice Commands pickup the language that the user has set for Guidance.
RenoHuskerDu

POSTER_ID:16889228

Send a message
Alsace, France. Wiko, OnePlus One, and Motorola phones. Our Wiko phones have very poor GPS. To run Waze, avoid Wiko phones.

Post by axel-1988
I'm in the Netherlands and even I get french voice commands. This is terrible. I'll see if it changes to German when I drive to Germany next time...
axel-1988
Send a message

Post by BridgeAce
I disabled this because it appeared to use the language of the country you are in. Cross the border and you have to use the new language.
Why? I don't think anyone can answer that.
BridgeAce
Send a message

Post by drackodelmal
Any news to see if this is available, it happens in mexico to, however you need to use Spain's Spanish for it to work, and it is very unnatural.

Also i am more used to English.
drackodelmal
Send a message

Post by Elkalwyn
After 2 weeks of heavy tries, the voice commands finally work for me. (3 different devices and accounts).
But, while Waze is set to English, both sound and interface, the voice commands pop out in Dutch (They might think it's the main language in Belgium, but it's not for everyone). That would be nice that 1year after being reported, you could choose the voice recognition you want...
Elkalwyn
Send a message

Post by MartinSGill
Same issue here.

I finally saw the voice command option and I was delighted. Then it wanted me to speak dutch to it, despite the fact that my phone language is English and the Waze language and voice language is set to English.

It should respect at least one of those settings.

I noticed something oddly similar as well. When I enter into an average-speed speed trap zone, it tells me this in dutch as well, despite all my languages set to English.
MartinSGill
Send a message

Post by nsoeffers
I don't even see the "voice commands" item in the settings menu. I live in Belgium and they speak three languages: french, dutch and a little bit german in belgium. Don't know if this has anything to do with the fact that I don't see the "voice commands" item in the settings menu? But I would appreciate it if I could enable voice commands either in english, dutch or french?
nsoeffers
Send a message

Post by planitearth
I am driving through Austria and just found the same voice command defaults to German. It does not set the language along with the alerts.
planitearth
Send a message

Post by RenoHuskerDu
Bump. This problem continues. My wife, who is French, noticed the same thing on her phone yesterday. Waze speaks and understands only French in voice commands, and we find no option to set it to English. That's fine for her because she is French. But not everyone in France should be required to speak and understand French in order to use Waze voice commands.

As it is now, Waze voice commands are unusable for me and the tens of thousands of other English speakers living in France. Dommage, as they say in français.
RenoHuskerDu
Send a message
Alsace, France. Wiko, OnePlus One, and Motorola phones. Our Wiko phones have very poor GPS. To run Waze, avoid Wiko phones.

Post by RenoHuskerDu
Bump. Nobody from Waze moderated this yet. Let's just keep bumping it every few weeks.
RenoHuskerDu
Send a message