duplicate contacts

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: duplicate contacts

Postby speedlever » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:32 pm

Do these instructions no longer help get rid of duplicate contacts? I suspect that if you begin making changes, the changes become permanent once you edit your contacts. Better to get rid of the duplicates instead.

https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 0#p1156114
speedlever

Postby ChewbaccaGiant » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:00 pm

Does waze keep some metadata on contacts in servers? I have deleted contacts from my phone address book but Waze stil tries to add them to my contacts in the app. How? I no longer have them in my phone? I have properly synced Mr address book to try let as waze see my updated address book but the old contacts are still there in waze. I don't want to the old suggestions. How can I prevent this? I read before that waze doesn't keep contact info but this clearly shows they do.
ChewbaccaGiant

Postby phiphi99 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:55 am

speedlever wrote:I've finally taken the time to sort out the duplicate Waze contact issue on my Galaxy S4 running Android 5.0.1 on AT&T. Every time I would search for a contact, I'd get multiple contact icons and would have no idea which was the one I was looking for because of the duplicate Waze contacts.

To delete the Waze duplicates without affecting your actual account:
1) touch your contact app
2) touch the menu button and go to settings
3) touch contacts
4) touch accounts
5) touch Waze
6) touch menu button
7) touch remove account
then back arrow out of all the screens.

After I did the above, my Waze contacts (and duplicates) were gone. My Waze account was still intact and I could search for a contact and not wonder which contact icon was the one with the info I was looking for!

Thank you so much, this really works!!! It helped me to get rid of the annoying duplications, some times up to 8 x for a single contact!

Waze, what's wrong with you? Everytime there is a updates you must nose around my contact again??
phiphi99

Postby speedlever » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:17 pm

I've finally taken the time to sort out the duplicate Waze contact issue on my Galaxy S4 running Android 5.0.1 on AT&T. Every time I would search for a contact, I'd get multiple contact icons and would have no idea which was the one I was looking for because of the duplicate Waze contacts.

To delete the Waze duplicates without affecting your actual account:
1) touch your contact app
2) touch the menu button and go to settings
3) touch contacts
4) touch accounts
5) touch Waze
6) touch menu button
7) touch remove account
then back arrow out of all the screens.

After I did the above, my Waze contacts (and duplicates) were gone. My Waze account was still intact and I could search for a contact and not wonder which contact icon was the one with the info I was looking for!
speedlever

Postby RVA46 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:41 pm

ditto to the problems above. In additions My Gmail / Settings / Accounts has no Waze account that I can delete, Duplicates still abound.
I hate to give up on Waze as I do enjoy it. But Waze needs to release our email addresses from captivity. Capturing them was a bad and intrusive idea.
As a tangent, McAfee is suggesting to uninstall Waze because of this.
RVA46

Postby MoodZy » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:20 pm

ssabre wrote:Heeello.. is there anyone from Waze looking at this.?
In general, Android has a huge problem with contact and now, Waze made its own contribution. It is not only with duplicated record, why is it creating automatically a record for almost every contact I have in my original list? I do not want to create, for instance, a waze record for my business contacts.

Waze isn't looking here. 99.99% of the persons on this forum are Waze users like you and me. Only users with a name that is colored red are from Waze staff if I'm not abused.
MoodZy
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby ssabre » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:59 pm

Heeello.. is there anyone from Waze looking at this.?
In general, Android has a huge problem with contact and now, Waze made its own contribution. It is not only with duplicated record, why is it creating automatically a record for almost every contact I have in my original list? I do not want to create, for instance, a waze record for my business contacts.
ssabre

Postby mysticzzz » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:14 am

According to waze's help page this is a rare problem. I have three android phones. It does it on all three. Three separate accounts. Not rare in my house.
mysticzzz

Postby chuckh1958 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:13 pm

Interesting. Shortly after installing CM11 I noticed I had lots of duplicate contacts, sometimes 4 or 5 per person, but only when I was doing a contact search. If I simply scrolled through my list of contacts I saw no duplicates. They were all empty too except for one which contained all of the contact details. I thought it might be a bug in CM11 but apparently not.

I just followed the suggestion here and deleted my Waze account from settings/accounts and the duplicates no longer appear!

Oddly, when I open Waze (which is still my favorite GPS app) my login information is still there and I still see my points. I would have thought that after deleting my account it would have prompted me to log in again but it did not.

For the record my device is a Droid RAZR HD
chuckh1958

Postby mjaorhyn » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:34 pm

On my Samsung S4, after deselcting sync accounts, bring up contacts - bring up settings - select delete - search for the contact with duplicates - select all - UNselect the one you want to keep - delete.
Worked well!
mjaorhyn

Next

Return to Waze App