duplicate contacts

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

duplicate contacts

Postby bbbobbbo » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:43 am

Hello,

My phone is galaxy note 2 on android 4.1.2.

I've been using waze for 1 year now but one issue I have had in the last couple of months is duplicate contacts. I mean, for some contacts in my phone address there are like 5 duplicates !!

I installed and reinstalled the app, but the duplicates regenerate.

I then removed the waze account (not the app) from settings> accounts and voila, all the waze dupes in the contacts are gone. But is this the normal way? Will the app be functioning normally without the waze account? Please help?
bbbobbbo

Re: duplicate contacts

Postby edkrym » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:14 pm

I had the same duplicate contact problem. I updated a few of my gmail contacts the waze copy of that contact did not change and now I had the old contact in waze and the new updated one in gmail (or google contacts).

In the most recent update, where waze started me out as a new user again until I found out how to login to my waze account and at that point I remember waze asking me about searching thru my contacts phone numbers to find friends using waze.

Thanks to you, I was able to fix the duplicate contact problem by removing the waze contacts by removing the waze account (not the app) from settings > accounts as you did.

Everything works fine and my friends on waze are still listed. This searching through your contacts by waze to find friends seems to have created problems.
edkrym

Postby steveGoldberg » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:51 am

I'm still having issues with duplicate entries.
I deleted my account (not the app) and when I went to recreate it, it wouldn't let me use my previous name, it was already taken. And I checked my phone contacts and I still have all the extras with the waze icon. I am on a Samsung Gal 4, 3.8.1 of Waze.
So now I have a different name and still have the duplicates. Any other suggestions?
Thanks,
steveGoldbergCool (I think that is my latest "name")
steveGoldberg

Postby clblackman » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:28 pm

I'm having the same issue. Contacts on my Galaxy Note 3 won't let me delete the Waze contacts although I can link or unlink them.
clblackman

Postby xxxxxxNinja » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:58 am

Deleted the account two days ago, so far so good.
About a month ago I had to create a new account because user name was taken.
xxxxxxNinja

Postby JW-Duramax » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:22 pm

Thanks bbbobbbo for posting this solution. I was wondering why I had 3, 4 or even 5 names appearing for many of my contacts until I saw that the duplicates were coming from Waze and then I found your solution online. Waze seems to work OK, even with the account removed from the Android list of accounts, so thanks! I also have a Galaxy Note II, but on Android 4.4.2. Seems like most of the other people with problems are running Samsung devices, so maybe that's part of the problem, or is it that most people on Android buy Samsung?
JW-Duramax

Postby BenStern46 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:27 am

I had a problem with something duplicating contacts but couldn't identify the source. I bought the app "Smart merge" which did a good job of cleaning things up, without identifying or solving the cause.
BenStern46

Postby oz-edri » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:57 pm

I'm having the same problem on LG G2 D802 with Android KitKat (4.4.4) - Waze is causing duplicate contacts whenever I'm updating Google contacts via the web interface.
If I'm deleting waze account from the accounts (settings --> accounts --> Waze --> options --> Remove account) and re-syncing Google contacts everything is back to normal and the duplicates disappear.
By the way, right after I'm deleting Waze account most of the duplicates disappear.
There is no need to install any app whatsoever.

As bbbobbbo and edkrym wrote, everything is working great after deleting Waze accounts from the accounts - I still have contacts and friends on Waze, and I still have the same username with the same score.

I have the latest Waze (3.8.1.0).
I opened ticket 5F836F22F-26581BC to Waze.
I'll update as soon as I'll read the response from them.
oz-edri

Postby jfowler10 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:55 pm

I had the same problem with my Samsung Galaxy S4. I went to Settings -> Accounts -> Waze -> turn off Sync Contacts. I then went to contacts and deleted all the duplicates. It's pretty quick if you go to the bottom left menu button and tap Delete, then tap each copy. Took maybe 5 minutes. This way you don't have to delete your account.
jfowler10

Postby oz-edri » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:04 am

jfowler10 wrote:I had the same problem with my Samsung Galaxy S4. I went to Settings -> Accounts -> Waze -> turn off Sync Contacts. I then went to contacts and deleted all the duplicates. It's pretty quick if you go to the bottom left menu button and tap Delete, then tap each copy. Took maybe 5 minutes. This way you don't have to delete your account.

You don't need to delete them manually one by one.
After deleting waze account from the accounts in the device settings (settings --> accounts --> Waze --> options --> Remove account) and re-syncing Google contacts everything is back to normal and the duplicates disappear.
oz-edri

Next

Return to Waze App