Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by Tsalalhmec
Does waze keep some metadata on contacts in servers? I have deleted contacts from my phone address book but Waze stil tries to add them to my contacts in the app. How? I no longer have them in my phone? I have properly synced Mr address book to try let as waze see my updated address book but the old contacts are still there in waze. I don't want to the old suggestions. How can I prevent this? I read before that waze doesn't keep contact info but this clearly shows they do.
Tsalalhmec
Send a message

Post by twigerator
KenWChv wrote:Hello,

I hope Waze developers are following this 'duplicate contacts' issue and working on a fix. I consider this a major bug! Yes, we were warned upon install that Waze defaults to accessing Contacts. But for goodness sakes don't make a mess of everyone's contact lists while doing so!!! Furthermore, since Waze doesn't seem have an official 'solution' for problem, users are left to fend for themselves. Unfortunately, this means wading through well-meaning but incorrect advice posted in various corners of the internet :-( Argg.

Piecing together various advices from this forum here is my solution on a Droid phone running KitKat 4.4.2.

Advance Notes:

- ‘Suggest you NOT follow suggestions you see about “deleting” your Waze account outright via the Waze app (Settings -> Account & Login) or on the online Waze site. Not only will lose all your Waze info and but you risk the possibility you won't be able to get the same user name again. Also, it may be that if the Waze app is not completely uninstalled, Waze recognizes that it is running on the same device the next time it is run and will reactivate itself & restore settings back to default, including enabling Contact Sync again if that was turned off previously. In the process it will restore duplicate contacts :-(

- Suggestions about disabling Contact Sync and then manually deleting the duplicate contacts from ‘Contacts’ did not work for me. Android still kicked up a ‘contact is hidden read-only’ message and would not allow those contacts to be deleted. Furthermore attempts to do this caused Contacts to behave oddly. ‘Too much at stake here to pursue risky experiments.

- On a similar note, on the Android device, Settings -> Apps -> Waze -> Clear Data & Clear Cache don't help. In the case of ‘Clear Data’, for me Waze restored itself the next time was run and brought me back to square one with duplicate contacts.

Steps that worked for me on KitKat 4.4.2:

- On Android phone, go to Settings -> Accounts -> Waze and Disable Contacts Sync. If Waze is not listed on Accounts, good, you may be halfway there.

- On Android Phone, go to Contacts -> Hit three dot : button on lower right -> Select Accounts.

- Select Waze and a new screen will open.

- Hit three dot : button, this time upper right.

- Select Remove Account.

- Google/Android will then throw up a scary 20+ seconds during with all contacts get re-synched. Nail biting time. But that process worked OK for me. All my contacts were safe and sound.

The above deletes the contact data for Waze but leaves the Waze app itself OK. The duplicate contacts are now gone.

Phew!

Hope this is helpful..

KW
Fantastic! Worked perfectly for me. Thanks so much for the post!
twigerator
Send a message

Post by TwistyRoads
This worked for me as well. Thank you VERY much!
bbbobbbo wrote:Hello,

My phone is galaxy note 2 on android 4.1.2.

I've been using waze for 1 year now but one issue I have had in the last couple of months is duplicate contacts. I mean, for some contacts in my phone address there are like 5 duplicates !!

I installed and reinstalled the app, but the duplicates regenerate.

I then removed the waze account (not the app) from settings> accounts and voila, all the waze dupes in the contacts are gone. But is this the normal way? Will the app be functioning normally without the waze account? Please help?
TwistyRoads
Send a message

Post by vince1612
Lcdrwalker wrote:It seems that every time I load or open the Waze app, it add two Waze icons to every listing in my phone. I tried to manually delete them but they return as soon as I open the app again. They will disappear when I delete the app but I don't want to continually add and delete the app. I like the app and have been using it for quite a while but I can't have my contact list go from 197 to almost 600. This has only happened with my new Galaxy S-6 Active running Android 5.0.2.
Hi, I moved your new post to an existing thread talking about this issue. Try using search on the forum or on the Waze help to join ongoing discussions before starting new (duplicate) ones ;)

You can read through the comments posted here or view this URL:
https://support.google.com/waze/answer/6261746?hl=en

Let us know if anything helped. :)
vince1612
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... v18.10.png
Wiki & Forum: Wiki CH (D)(FR) | Forum CH (D) (FR) (I)
1+1=3 - The result of bringing talents together goes beyond simply adding them up.
https://i.ibb.co/2k1TJHH/RIPIain.png

Post by vince1612
brsmith2002 wrote:Please, I hope there is a solution for this. I can not believe that this hasn't been addresses or fixed - Blows my mine! This App is not new... And this is a known problem for years. This is an UNACCEPTABLE problem. . It is CRAZY all the duplication AND DELETIONS OF CONTACT INFO. WHAT IS THE EASY FIX??
Have you seen/tried: https://support.google.com/waze/answer/6154255 ?
vince1612
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... v18.10.png
Wiki & Forum: Wiki CH (D)(FR) | Forum CH (D) (FR) (I)
1+1=3 - The result of bringing talents together goes beyond simply adding them up.
https://i.ibb.co/2k1TJHH/RIPIain.png

Post by xxxxxxNinja
Deleted the account two days ago, so far so good.
About a month ago I had to create a new account because user name was taken.
xxxxxxNinja
Send a message

Post by Zergor
Thanks for the assist in fixing this via the unsync, remove account from the google settings (not deleting your waze account completely).

What really annoyed me is that it removed the contacts I actually had with those names... replacing them with empty waze accounts... Seriously... you are owned by google. This kind of issue should not happen.

Please focus on making the app actually get me where I need to go and using data provided by other wazers to do so more efficiently, instead of taking over my contacts list.
Zergor
Send a message