These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Rank Demotions when Changing States (then returning)

Post by nasasts1
Dear Forum Colleagues,

I have noticed this problem twice now and would like to ask if anyone knows what/why is happening. Short version:

Last July I moved from Washington, DC (Maryland) to Oklahoma City. It was a 1,300 (ish) mile drive and I was almost a Royalty Wazer at the time. Once my area changed to OKC, I needed 6K points to level, so it was a demotion. I suppose if people in Oklahoma drive more that would make sense. But then...

Last March I drove from OKC to Dallas TX for a class during the week. When I left OKC I was a Royalty Wazer in my state. While in TX my area changed to TX, then changed back to OK when I got home but I needed 6K (again) to get back to Royalty Wazer. How does this make sense? I fell 6K behind in 4 days while driving the entire time?

In the Map Editor it shows (for my trip to dallas and back, does not include driving around while there):
March 18, 15:41 | 208.87mi 3 hours 16 min
March 22, 12:58 | 168.39mi 2 hours 20 min

So I was a Royalty Wazer, drove more that week (since traveling) then I normally do, then suddenly am back to Waze Knight with 6K to go until level again?

I only ask because I am now about 600 points from regaining Royalty Wazer status but I will be flying to Washington DC for work where I will drive for about 2-3 weeks, then come home. I imagine I will come back and be a 6K points away (for the third time) and basically stop even caring at all about the broken system at that point. Any tips?

Jason
nasasts1

POSTER_ID:2108940

Send a message

Post by bart99gt
As I found out a few months ago, your state rank will be based on the state you've earned the most *driving* points in within a certain time frame. You can send a message to Waze support and they can lock you down to one state.

I live in Mississippi but work in Tennessee, so when I take a trip to Tennessee where most of the driving is done in that state, it wasn't unusual for me to get stuck on the Tennessee leader board for weeks at a time because about half of my commute is in Tennessee.
bart99gt
Send a message
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM

Post by nasasts1
That would make sense if this wasn't back in March when I got back to OKC 6K points behind.
nasasts1
Send a message

Post by SwenVandenberk
Only thing I can think of is that there is a delay in updating your status when you drive around in another state.

So when you moved to TX, the amount of points you had at that point would not give you Royalty status in TX. However, as there might have been a delay, your icon kept showing that you were royalty.
Around the time you came back to OKC, the status update came through and put you in a lower level (for TX) although you were already driving in OKC again where you are entitled for Royalty.
That's my guess.

This would mean that in a few days, you'll be back to Royalty when the status update to OKC kicks back in.
SwenVandenberk
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message