GPS Voice editor

Moderators: delilush, tonestertm, ottonomy

GPS Voice editor

Postby FalconHawaii » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:16 pm

Hey all, I am a total newb here, first post.

Just wanted to know where, how, or if it is possible to change the voice output on Waze's GPS street name reader. Being in Hawaii, a lot of the street name pronunciations are indeed cringe-worthy. I'm probably in the wrong area, but oh well, I'd like to contribute if possible. Thanks! :D

-Brandon
FalconHawaii

Re: GPS Voice editor

Postby AndyPoms » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:18 pm

Samantha and Tom have been retired & replaced (in the USA) by Jane. This is part of an world-wide upgrade that (in the long-term) will give us more control over pronunciation. See more details in a post from Bex (a Waze Staffer) here: https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=657&t=147587&start=50#p1149974
[ img ]
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby Machete808 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:05 pm

FalconHawaii wrote:Hey all, I am a total newb here, first post.

Just wanted to know where, how, or if it is possible to change the voice output on Waze's GPS street name reader. Being in Hawaii, a lot of the street name pronunciations are indeed cringe-worthy. I'm probably in the wrong area, but oh well, I'd like to contribute if possible. Thanks! :D

-Brandon

Hi, Brandon!

Welcome to the Hawaii forum!

I think you mean the Text-to-Speech (TTS) system used for street names, and a lot of them are cringe-worthy. (Evidently this is a problem with other languages as well, but...). Some of them are marginally better than the old Samantha/Tom attempts at Hawaiian, but I'm only just starting to check them out.

To answer your question: No, there is not yet a tool to change pronunciation, although in the past Waze has said something like that is on the to-do list. But it doesn't seem to be an urgent project, unfortunately. So we either have to grit our teeth -- or go with one of the voices that don't read street names, essentially!
Aloha,
Vicki
Hawaii State Manager
Area manager, Los Angeles, NYC
Country manager, U.S.,Thailand
[ img ] [ img ]
Need support?
support.google.com/waze > Popular topics > FAQs > Other > Open a ticket
Welcome, new editors:
Here's a good place to start!
Machete808
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby Nacron » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:02 pm

FalconHawaii wrote:Hey all, I am a total newb here, first post.

-Brandon

Brandon, if you have any issue road names, please note them here and we can try to pass it on to the TTS team. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
2010 Subaru Legacy 2.5i | Sprint Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge | 7.0 | Waze 4.20.0.901 beta
Android Beta | WME Beta
Hawaii SM | Bangkok, Thailand RM | Phitsanulok, Thailand AM | West Virginia AM
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
Nacron
Map Raider
Map Raider

Return to Hawaii