Shielding state highways

Moderators: delilush, tonestertm, ottonomy

Re: Shielding state highways

Postby Nacron » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:00 pm

I'll do some routing testing for poi and address this weekend with both names

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
2010 Subaru Legacy 2.5i | Sprint Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge | 7.0 | Waze 4.20.0.901 beta
Android Beta | WME Beta
Hawaii SM | Bangkok, Thailand RM | Phitsanulok, Thailand AM | West Virginia AM
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
Nacron
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby doctorkb » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:46 pm

Except as soon as a shield is applied, the street name is not shown. Or so I am told.
Waze Global Champ
Country Manager: Canada
Area Manager: Edmonton, AB; Prince George, BC; Maui, HI; Georgetown, KY and various places in between
doctorkb
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Machete808 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:11 pm

doctorkb wrote:Except as soon as a shield is applied, the street name is not shown. Or so I am told.

Sigh. Really? That may be a cause for leaving the status quo in some areas.
Aloha,
Vicki
Hawaii State Manager
Area manager, Los Angeles, NYC
Country manager, U.S.,Thailand
[ img ] [ img ]
Need support?
support.google.com/waze > Popular topics > FAQs > Other > Open a ticket
Welcome, new editors:
Here's a good place to start!
Machete808
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby doctorkb » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:18 pm

Yeah. You'll still see it in the turn instructions, but the street name won't be shown on the map.

I'm not certain if you see the streetname in your "current street" bubble near the bottom of the screen when there's a shield or not.
Waze Global Champ
Area Manager: Edmonton, AB; Prince George, BC; Maui, HI; Georgetown, KY and various places in between
doctorkb
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Nacron » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:13 am

doctorkb wrote:Yeah. You'll still see it in the turn instructions, but the street name won't be shown on the map.

I'm not certain if you see the streetname in your "current street" bubble near the bottom of the screen when there's a shield or not.

I could have sworn I saw the shield and name in Manhattan. In any case I think it's beneficial to have the street name on TTS

2010 Subaru Legacy 2.5i | Sprint Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge | 7.0 | Waze 4.20.0.901 beta
Android Beta | WME Beta
Nacron
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby doctorkb » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:12 pm

I do agree that it's beneficial to have the streetname.

What I don't agree with is that it being beneficial to have the shield - at least on Maui.
Waze Global Champ
doctorkb
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Machete808 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:46 pm

Well, I do see utility in having a mix. But it looks like we still might want parts of the highways with just the common name, so that highway names show up in the app at least in significant stretches.

Maybe we should use the Highway Name / SR-XX format only on stretches near fairly major intersections.
Aloha,
Vicki
Hawaii State Manager
Area manager, Los Angeles, NYC
Country manager, U.S.,Thailand
[ img ] [ img ]
Need support?
support.google.com/waze > Popular topics > FAQs > Other > Open a ticket
Welcome, new editors:
Here's a good place to start!
Machete808
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby PacmanNW » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:54 pm

Hello there, I guess I’ll weigh in here (thanks for the link Machete808) with a couple observations from my week in Kauai.

First a disclaimer; these are my observations and opinions only and are based on use of the phone Waze app. And while I only have a week of driving there, I did cover most of the island.

1.) Road Numbers vs. Road Names: This was the first thing I noticed. We got the shuttle from the airport to the rental car company where we were provided with a “map” of the island along with the car. Obviously it was easy to figure out where I was going, but I circled it on the map anyway and put the address into Waze. It did indeed bring us directly there, but the names didn’t match the signs. The signs showed 50 right. Or 50 left. Highway 50? State Route 50? I’m not sure, it didn’t say, but the big intersections were signed with the road number - not the name. It’s not that big of a deal as I just assumed that “road 50” is also known as Kaumualii Highway, but I didn’t see any signs to that effect.

Another note on the names vs numbers: the smaller ‘highways’ or ‘state routes’ (three numbers), appear signed when entering or exiting the “main” highway, but after that signs at intersections show the road name (but these are small green signs, typical for smaller roads). For example: where 520 (Maluhia Rd) branches off of 50 (Kaumualii Hwy). https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... s=67563895 The road signs coming from Lihue clearly show 50 straight and 520 turn left with no mention or indication of road names. However, as you then continue onto Maluhia Rd (520), there are small green signs at the crossings indicating Maluhia Rd and the name of the cross street. https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... s=12954923 But no big road/highways signs indicating you are on either 520 or Maluhia Rd.

My thought would be the main highways named with the number first and the name second [Hwy 50 – Kaumuallii Hwy (or SR or whatever they are)] while the smaller roads might have the name first and then number second.

And yes, I imagine that all the locals know the roads by their names, but tourists do not, they go by the road signs and the tourist maps - which showed both the number and the names.

2.) Small gas stations didn’t show up on the map. The area place needs to be at least 15x15 or 20x20 (or whatever the minimum size is). Also the name should just be “Shell” not “Jims Super Mart Store with Good Deals” or whatever else it is called…

3.) Beach area places and tourist area places rendered very nicely on the app and were VERY helpful. For example, when driving on the highway to the north part of the island, it was nice to glance at Waze and see that the Kilauea Point National Wildlife Refuge was off the main road to the right or that we were passing the Botanical Gardens.

4.) Lastly, some of the area places didn’t render very well (if they weren’t drawn well). For example, the Kukuiula Golf Course https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... 25.2346214 (near where I stayed) was a huge big green blob. While the green popped very nicely on the app and added color, it was hard to distinguish it from other nearby area places. I’ve since went back and fixed that course somewhat ;) And I’m aware that it can take a long time to accurately map a large area place (while getting no additional edit points ;) ), but when done well, they definitely look good on the app and does help when driving around. And of course if you get really particular, assuming you have that much time, I like area places drawn really close to the roads (but not actually snapped! At least not to intersections) so that they show up better on the app, as I indicated in this post a while ago: https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=201&t=150275

Tl;dr : Overall Waze worked well for me with no major issues. Suggestions; add numbers to the road names and add more / more accurately map tourist, park, beach, hiking trail head, etc. area places.

Just my thoughts!
[ img ][ img ]
Area Manager - WA, USA
Region Manager (R7) - Thailand
PacmanNW
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Nacron » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:30 pm

PacmanNW wrote:Hello there, I guess I’ll weigh in here (thanks for the link Machete808) with a couple observations from my week in Kauai.

First a disclaimer; these are my observations and opinions only and are based on use of the phone Waze app. And while I only have a week of driving there, I did cover most of the island.

1.) Road Numbers vs. Road Names: This was the first thing I noticed. We got the shuttle from the airport to the rental car company where we were provided with a “map” of the island along with the car. Obviously it was easy to figure out where I was going, but I circled it on the map anyway and put the address into Waze. It did indeed bring us directly there, but the names didn’t match the signs. The signs showed 50 right. Or 50 left. Highway 50? State Route 50? I’m not sure, it didn’t say, but the big intersections were signed with the road number - not the name. It’s not that big of a deal as I just assumed that “road 50” is also known as Kaumualii Highway, but I didn’t see any signs to that effect.

Another note on the names vs numbers: the smaller ‘highways’ or ‘state routes’ (three numbers), appear signed when entering or exiting the “main” highway, but after that signs at intersections show the road name (but these are small green signs, typical for smaller roads). For example: where 520 (Maluhia Rd) branches off of 50 (Kaumualii Hwy). https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... s=67563895 The road signs coming from Lihue clearly show 50 straight and 520 turn left with no mention or indication of road names. However, as you then continue onto Maluhia Rd (520), there are small green signs at the crossings indicating Maluhia Rd and the name of the cross street. https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... s=12954923 But no big road/highways signs indicating you are on either 520 or Maluhia Rd.

My thought would be the main highways named with the number first and the name second [Hwy 50 – Kaumuallii Hwy (or SR or whatever they are)] while the smaller roads might have the name first and then number second.

And yes, I imagine that all the locals know the roads by their names, but tourists do not, they go by the road signs and the tourist maps - which showed both the number and the names.

2.) Small gas stations didn’t show up on the map. The area place needs to be at least 15x15 or 20x20 (or whatever the minimum size is). Also the name should just be “Shell” not “Jims Super Mart Store with Good Deals” or whatever else it is called…

3.) Beach area places and tourist area places rendered very nicely on the app and were VERY helpful. For example, when driving on the highway to the north part of the island, it was nice to glance at Waze and see that the Kilauea Point National Wildlife Refuge was off the main road to the right or that we were passing the Botanical Gardens.

4.) Lastly, some of the area places didn’t render very well (if they weren’t drawn well). For example, the Kukuiula Golf Course https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... 25.2346214 (near where I stayed) was a huge big green blob. While the green popped very nicely on the app and added color, it was hard to distinguish it from other nearby area places. I’ve since went back and fixed that course somewhat ;) And I’m aware that it can take a long time to accurately map a large area place (while getting no additional edit points ;) ), but when done well, they definitely look good on the app and does help when driving around. And of course if you get really particular, assuming you have that much time, I like area places drawn really close to the roads (but not actually snapped! At least not to intersections) so that they show up better on the app, as I indicated in this post a while ago: https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=201&t=150275

Tl;dr : Overall Waze worked well for me with no major issues. Suggestions; add numbers to the road names and add more / more accurately map tourist, park, beach, hiking trail head, etc. area places.

Just my thoughts!

Nice, thanks for those suggestions. The gas station thing will be taken care of when we run though with the place harmonization. As so far as the highest signage goes, I think it's good but wouldn't it be confusing if the number/name keeps switching position?

Android Beta | WME Beta
Nacron
Map Raider
Map Raider

Previous

Return to Hawaii