Zipper Lane

Moderators: delilush, tonestertm, ottonomy

Zipper Lane

Postby McCracken808 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:17 am

Does anyone use the Zipper lane in the morning? I use it twice a week or so and Waze used to find me in it, but no longer does. It stopped working about 6 weeks ago. It's set as parking lot type. I'm wondering if the app no longer recognizes parking lot roads as traversable.
Aloha,
Douglas

AM - Hawaii

[ img ][ img ][ img ]
Waze Resources:
Waze Wiki, Landmarks Guideline, Area Manager Wiki, Best Practices

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1.1, Waze 3.8, Mazda3
McCracken808

Re: Zipper Lane

Postby Machete808 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:10 am

I don't know, but there was a UR recently complaining about how Waze didn't recognize he/she was in the Zipper lane and routed through an illegal turn.

I think I'll send Nacron a PM to bring him to this thread. The Zipper lane was one of his projects.
Aloha,
Vicki
Hawaii State Manager
Area manager, Los Angeles, NYC
Country manager, U.S.,Thailand
[ img ] [ img ]
Need support?
support.google.com/waze > Popular topics > FAQs > Other > Open a ticket
Welcome, new editors:
Here's a good place to start!
Machete808
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby Nacron » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:53 am

McCracken808 wrote:Does anyone use the Zipper lane in the morning? I use it twice a week or so and Waze used to find me in it, but no longer does. It stopped working about 6 weeks ago. It's set as parking lot type. I'm wondering if the app no longer recognizes parking lot roads as traversable.

The last thing I did to the zipper was to give it time based restrictions. They might have turned it on for the server but there isn't a way to change your settings for occupancy in your vehicle. Guidelines say parking lot out is to be used for hot lanes. I was able to be detected in the zipper lane today and it guided me out correctly.
2010 Subaru Legacy 2.5i | Sprint Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge | 7.0 | Waze 4.20.0.901 beta
Android Beta | WME Beta
Hawaii SM | Bangkok, Thailand RM | Phitsanulok, Thailand AM | West Virginia AM
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
Nacron
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby McCracken808 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:38 am

Nacron wrote:I was able to be detected in the zipper lane today and it guided me out correctly.

I was through there this morning at about 5:50am and it didn't track. I'm hoping you were after that and it's working. I'd hate to think that I'm corrupting traffic data going down the wrong way on the freeway...
Aloha,
Douglas

AM - Hawaii

[ img ][ img ][ img ]
Waze Resources:

McCracken808

Postby McCracken808 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:33 am

McCracken808 wrote:
Nacron wrote:I was able to be detected in the zipper lane today and it guided me out correctly.

I was through there this morning at about 5:50am and it didn't track. I'm hoping you were after that and it's working. I'd hate to think that I'm corrupting traffic data going down the wrong way on the freeway...

Same thing again this morning. Waze shows me traveling on the wrong side of the freeway and telling me to go to highlighted route.
Aloha,
Douglas

AM - Hawaii

[ img ][ img ][ img ]
Waze Resources:

McCracken808

Postby Nacron » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:38 am

McCracken808 wrote:

I don't think you're in the west bound lanes, I moved the zipper closer to the west bound lanes because it would detect as in the zipper lane when you went on the left side of the east bound lanes sometimes. Do you start Waze before or after you get on the h1?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
2010 Subaru Legacy 2.5i | Sprint Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge | 7.0 | Waze 4.20.0.901 beta
Android Beta | WME Beta
Hawaii SM | Bangkok, Thailand RM | Phitsanulok, Thailand AM | West Virginia AM
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
Nacron
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby McCracken808 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:28 am

Nacron wrote:Do you start Waze before or after you get on the h1?

Before.

As I pass the Waipahu exit westbound, Waze's "Proceed to highlighted route" takes that exit. Not sure where it goes to from there.
Aloha,
Douglas

AM - Hawaii

[ img ][ img ][ img ]
Waze Resources:

McCracken808

Postby Machete808 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:10 pm

There's this UR from the zipper lane, pointing out that "zipper lane is not open on the weekend":

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&zo ... TT&env=usa

Still testing the beta time-based restrictions, so this is probably premature. But one of the options is to restrict whole segments during set times. Wonder if restricting the whole Zipper Lane on weekends would be sensible?

Actually, I don't have a whole lot of weekend driving experience in Zipper Lane territory, but I didn't realize Waze would place you there when you weren't. Seems like the complaints have been that it doesn't always realize that's where you are.
Aloha,
Vicki
Hawaii State Manager
[ img ] [ img ]
Need support?
Welcome, new editors:
Machete808
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby McCracken808 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:50 pm

vickimachado wrote:There's this UR from the zipper lane, pointing out that "zipper lane is not open on the weekend":

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&zo ... TT&env=usa

That is odd because my GPS still doesn't track/find/locate me in the zipper lane when it IS open.

vickimachado wrote:Still testing the beta time-based restrictions, so this is probably premature. But one of the options is to restrict whole segments during set times. Wonder if restricting the whole Zipper Lane on weekends would be sensible?

I don't think a time based restriction matters for that. If the GPS thinks your in the lane, you'll prolly get an auto-generated MP saying something about a time based violation. Segment types are Parking Lot, and turns are restricted already, and that didn't cause any issues when I was located in it. And I haven't seen any MP's or UR's so far. I think it's good as is. I just need to get my GPS working better.
Aloha,
Douglas

AM - Hawaii

[ img ][ img ][ img ]
Waze Resources:

McCracken808

Postby Machete808 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:29 pm

Yes, you're probably right. I'll send her a message indicating that this is probably the result of inaccurate GPS positioning. (Of course, that assumes the beta message would get through -- they haven't, at least for me, in recent days!)
Aloha,
Vicki
Hawaii State Manager
[ img ] [ img ]
Need support?
Welcome, new editors:
Machete808
Country Manager