Zipper Lane

Moderators: delilush, tonestertm, ottonomy

Re: Zipper Lane

Postby Machete808 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:08 pm

Just passing on: This UR relates to the HOV lane. I believe that's why the Wazer was directed down to Hilo Hattie's -- because Waze thought she was in the no-turns HOV lane.

I wonder if which devices have better/worse GPS resultsf? Sure wish Waze could do something about this.
Aloha,
Vicki
Hawaii State Manager
Area manager, Los Angeles, NYC
Country manager, U.S.,Thailand
[ img ] [ img ]
Need support?
support.google.com/waze > Popular topics > FAQs > Other > Open a ticket
Welcome, new editors:
Here's a good place to start!
Machete808
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby Machete808 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:54 pm

I see Nacron has set the time-based restriction for the Zipper/HOV lanes. Let's see how that affects feedback on the issue.
Aloha,
Vicki
Hawaii State Manager
[ img ] [ img ]
Need support?
Welcome, new editors:
Machete808
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby TK80866 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:50 am

Giving this topic a little bump because I feel there's something not right with the zipper in the map. In short, today around noon, Waze showed me driving on the zipper lane. As you all probably know, the zipper is closed after 9 AM so I filed a report. I got a reply from KuniaKid later today saying it is a GPS issue that it showed me there.

Now, I know GPS isn't always accurate and if I drive on the left lane it may accidentally place me on a road into the same direction, but if you think about it, that isn't really the problem. The point here is that, all things considered, the zipper simply does not exist after 9 AM as it's barriers are removed and the lanes are used for Ewa bound traffic instead.

Looking at the map editor just now (after years not having looked at them), it seems that time based restrictions are possible. Are they set for that lane at all? I'm but a level 3 editor so I wont be able to edit that lane as the freeways are for level 4 (which is interesting, since I helped build the original H1 lanes lol). I remember that such restrictions were not possible to set back way, but if they're possible now, shouldn't they be set?

And, since I'm on the discussion of the zipper lane. Is it such a good idea to have it even in the map anyways? Imagine a foreign tourist driving by himself, using Waze, getting informed there's traffic and getting a reroute over the zipper lane. If he gets caught, it can cost him 200 USD, and I doubt he can get away by saying "Waze told me to drive here" although I can imagine this scenario to happen. If you think about it, it is not even a road. It is a temporary lane, used only on weekdays, with both time and occupancy restrictions. The road it uses is H1 westbound.

Anyways, looking forward to hear from the current editors on the time restrictions, and possibly the other things as well :)
Had a lot of outdated stuff here.. I should be more active, I guess ;)
TK80866

Postby Machete808 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:49 pm

TK80866 wrote:Giving this topic a little bump because I feel there's something not right with the zipper in the map. In short, today around noon, Waze showed me driving on the zipper lane. As you all probably know, the zipper is closed after 9 AM so I filed a report. I got a reply from KuniaKid later today saying it is a GPS issue that it showed me there.

Now, I know GPS isn't always accurate and if I drive on the left lane it may accidentally place me on a road into the same direction, but if you think about it, that isn't really the problem. The point here is that, all things considered, the zipper simply does not exist after 9 AM as it's barriers are removed and the lanes are used for Ewa bound traffic instead.

Looking at the map editor just now (after years not having looked at them), it seems that time based restrictions are possible. Are they set for that lane at all? I'm but a level 3 editor so I wont be able to edit that lane as the freeways are for level 4 (which is interesting, since I helped build the original H1 lanes lol). I remember that such restrictions were not possible to set back way, but if they're possible now, shouldn't they be set?

And, since I'm on the discussion of the zipper lane. Is it such a good idea to have it even in the map anyways? Imagine a foreign tourist driving by himself, using Waze, getting informed there's traffic and getting a reroute over the zipper lane. If he gets caught, it can cost him 200 USD, and I doubt he can get away by saying "Waze told me to drive here" although I can imagine this scenario to happen. If you think about it, it is not even a road. It is a temporary lane, used only on weekdays, with both time and occupancy restrictions. The road it uses is H1 westbound.

Anyways, looking forward to hear from the current editors on the time restrictions, and possibly the other things as well :)

Hi, and welcome back to map editing! We're delighted to have you back and hope you'll be staying.

I am hoping our other state managers can weigh in -- Korey (Nacron) in particular has worked with this issue. Speaking as someone who got caught in the HOV lane on H-1 W (not Waze's fault -- it wasn't the Zipper lane) this is worth discussing.

There is a long-promised HOV editing tool that would make settings management easier, but until then we struggle with the tools we have.
Aloha,
Vicki
Hawaii State Manager
[ img ] [ img ]
Need support?
Welcome, new editors:
Machete808
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby Nacron » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:35 pm

For a while we had time based restrictions on all segments and the zipper lane uses to be parking lot road type but changed it to just freeway type and put time based restrictions on the exits to conform it to HOV standards. I think we need to change it back to the old way to keep GPS drift from realigning to the zipper lane and only allowing people who start their nav within the zipper lane navigation to one of the two exits based on traffic outside. Do you think we need to switch back to parking lot vicki?
2010 Subaru Legacy 2.5i | Sprint Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge | 7.0 | Waze 4.20.0.901 beta
Android Beta | WME Beta
Hawaii SM | Bangkok, Thailand RM | Phitsanulok, Thailand AM | West Virginia AM
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
Nacron
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby Machete808 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:37 pm

Nacron wrote:For a while we had time based restrictions on all segments and the zipper lane uses to be parking lot road type but changed it to just freeway type and put time based restrictions on the exits to conform it to HOV standards. I think we need to change it back to the old way to keep GPS drift from realigning to the zipper lane and only allowing people who start their nav within the zipper lane navigation to one of the two exits based on traffic outside. Do you think we need to switch back to parking lot vicki?

For now, if that works better (and clearly it did). Sorry to be such a weathervane on this issue. :roll:
Aloha,
Vicki
Hawaii State Manager
[ img ] [ img ]
Need support?
Welcome, new editors:
Machete808
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby KuniaKid » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:17 pm

Because I'm lazy, my first impulse is always to do as little as necessary. When HOV options are available, we'll need to change it all back. From experience, I know that if I'm in the Zipper lane prior to the open times (before we adjusted for C&C crew timings), Waze would not allow me to be in the lane at all. Waze would tell me to "Navigate to highlighted route", which was an impossibility. So perhaps a TBR on entire route? Easily removed if necessary, and can be adjusted for HOV/Public Transportation.
KuniaKid
State Manager
State Manager

Postby TK80866 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:11 pm

Thanks for getting the discussion going on this, guys!

I agree that if there's no actual HOV option/tool available, the options for editors are a bit limited. Is there any news at all from them regarding this that you guys know of? I imagine Hawaii not being the only state to have this issue.

By the way, it's nice to see Korey (Nacron) is still active here, I remember talking with him about us constantly losing the aerials back in 2010/2011 lol :D They sure did improve that editing tool since then!
Had a lot of outdated stuff here.. I should be more active, I guess ;)
TK80866

Previous

Return to Hawaii