Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Quirk? Wrong settings on device? Wrong location? DOn't kno

Post by roadwanderer
Hi Folks,

Am sharing with you three screenshots of navigation queries:
Left: Fastest Route setting
Middle: Shortest route setting
Right: What I thought was the "best" route

Where simulated: Dining area, Pizza Hut along Matalino St (near Phil Heart Center)
Mobile device: iphone 5
Waze version: 3.7.8.0

May you help assess why the diff?

Thanks.
roadwanderer

POSTER_ID:16893865

Send a message
Attachments

Post by Baldugaras
The difference in routing depends on how the roads are setup in WME. Factors include: road type, road direction (one-way/two-way), turn restrictions as well as time based restrictions. Have you reported a UR for this area yet? I am a bit familiar with that area and most of the roads surrounding Maginhawa are residential roads. I suspect that some of the surrounding roads are setup with different road types: Street vs Private Road.

The routing logic gives Private Roads a routing penalty compared to a road setup as a Street. If there's a choice between a Street and Private road, the routing algorithm will route through a Street. I suspect this is the reason for the different route given by the client.
Baldugaras
Send a message

Post by kazmuth
1. The yellow turn indicators mean that there is a time based restriction. And if you click on the details, you will see that it is already set to restrict entry from 10PM-5AM

2. We do not need to enable the U-Turn restrictions on all junctions, only those junctions where a U-Turn on a specific location is the only allowed U-Turn in the entire segment do we need to enable it. The indicators you encircled do not need to be enabled
kazmuth
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Waze Philippines Country Manager/ Global Champ / Coordinator
Join the Philippine Waze Users Facebook group

Post by roadwanderer
Thanks. I did check the roads on LiveMap. i had wanted to check details on the editor console, but the server is taking a long while to send the data over (never-ending orbiting arc). Nontheless, I'll keep on trying.
roadwanderer
Send a message

Post by roadwanderer
mayman correct.JPG
(132.55 KiB) Downloaded 803 times
Hi Speedziel,

Internet issue now solved, so I was able to check on the map.

It's locked by a level 3, way beyond my limits, so I request the following (see attached image).

1. Restrictions (in Red circle)
- Not passable to all vehicles from 10PM to 5AM

2. Turns (in yellow)
- All are allowed anytime

Thanks.

D
roadwanderer
Send a message

Post by roadwanderer
You're right. I clicked on the clock and saw it.

Anyway, I'm still wondering why Waze did not choose that section of the street, even while my query was way within the turning allowance.

It's trivial, so I'll simply let this go.

Thanks!!!!
roadwanderer
Send a message

Post by roadwanderer
Nice to know that thing about U-Turns!!!

I'll edit the other streets (provincial) to reflect disabled U-turns. Will dig through the wiki guides...

I hope to see you soon - perhaps along the Maginhawa food strip!

:D

D
roadwanderer
Send a message

Post by SpeedDzel
if you'll check routing & navigate on the WAZE LIVEMAP, entering different time factors will affect routing. specifically for UP/Teacher's Village. several of the segments concerned are closed at night and will definitely affect routing.
SpeedDzel
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
proud member of TEAM APAC! (formerly S.E.A.)

Pinoy wazers... join the Pinoy waze community on Facebook

Post by SpeedDzel
dcpixel wrote:Thanks. I did check the roads on LiveMap. i had wanted to check details on the editor console, but the server is taking a long while to send the data over (never-ending orbiting arc). Nontheless, I'll keep on trying.
Hi, oh boy, sounds like an internet connection issue chief. :(
SpeedDzel
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by SpeedDzel
Hi!

good to hear your internet issue has been fixed.

let's just say kazmuth & i are VERY much familiar with UP/Teacher's village area (up to Sikatuna) ;)

it is for instances like this that we need to keep the maps locked to a certain level.
new aspiring editors are thereby constrained to seek assistance from the waze editing community.
this gives opportunity for the senior editors to explain why certain things in the map are set to the way they are.

unlike our google maps & other navigation aiding maps where crowd sourced info is also applied, waze map editing is very unique. as we always need to consider navigation/routing (for driving wazers) on top of other aspects like aesthetic presentation.

previously (last year), waze told us to enable the U-Turns (green).
then recently, as stated by kazmuth, waze has instructed editors globally to keep the U-Turns 'red' in compliance with a recent change in the routing algorithm.
only in special instances that the U-Turns need to be enabled nowadays.

best if we could brush up & dig through the wiki guides to keep you up to speed on the editing conventions.

on the matter of the routing quirks, waze introduces changes in the routing calculations recently and as a result, has been affecting several wazer's routing. we've even seen an instance where waze sent a wazer going in circles :lol:
just bear with the ongoing changes & tinkering of our servers for now.

happy wazing!
SpeedDzel
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message