Just wanted to share the proper workaround for Android (thanks for the help Kazmuth!)
This was tested on a Samsung Galaxy S4 with Android Kitkat. This probably works on other versions of Android as well.
Enabling TTS for Android (Kitkat) users:
The shortcut (works for some users):
1. Close Waze (make sure it is not running in the background)
2. Go to Settings > More > Location > Mode > select High Accuracy
3. Restart Waze
4. In Waze, go to Settings > Sound > select 'Samantha (including street names)'
NOTE: If High Accuracy is already selected, you will have to try the full method as described below.
The full method:
1. Turn off GPS
2. Go to Settings > More > Location > Mode > select GPS Only
3. Uninstall Waze
4. Re-install Waze and open it (make sure to install the production version, not a beta version)
5. when asked for location choose UNITED STATES
6. DON'T LOGIN yet, instead use "New users - start driving"
7. Click Settings > Sound > You will see you cannot select your voice option
8. Exit Waze (make sure it is not running in the background)
9. Switch on GPS
10. Go to Settings > More > Location > Mode > High Accuracy
11. Open Waze
12. Go to Settings > Account & Login > Login with your username or your Facebook account
13. After login is complete, click Settings > Sound> 'Samantha (including street names)' appears, check it (usually selected by default)
If after installing, you lost your favorites, you can restore them by doing the following:
1. Open Waze
2. Slide to Navigate
3. In the Search bar, enter the command: ##@restorefav
4. When done, your favorites will have been restored from a copy on the Waze servers
5. Before doing anything else, make sure to restart Waze so that also your Home and Work locations are restored.