Road names for English speakers

Post by kennedia
Hi all,

Firstly I'd like to thank all the editors for including English (in addition to Korean) in many road names. It is very helpful for foreigners like me.

I have some questions:

1. According to the Korea wiki page, some roads should have English, but some roads should not. Maybe I cannot understand the Korean properly. I would like all roads to have English after the Korean and route number. It seems that the guidance is that numbered roads ONLY have Korean,

For example "한남대로<41>". I suggest this could be "한남대로<41> Hannam-daero"

Likewise for Expressways, I would like the full name in English also.

2. Why do you put "(St)" or "(Blvd)" after "-ro" and "-daero"? I suggest that English speakers don't need this, as we all know the difference between ro and daero. The main thing is we can read the signs and match them to what Waze says.

3. I often go the wrong way in Seoul when I don't know whether to take an overpass/underpass or the side road. I would like Waze to ALWAYS direct "Keep left" or "Keep right" because it is not clear to me when driving, which is the continuation and which is the exit. The lane markings are often in Korean only which makes us need more help from Waze! Sometimes Waze editors name the road with a suffix "Overpass" which makes this road take the "Keep left" instruction and often NO instruction for the side road. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks again to blueguy for the wiki and all the editors for helping my driving around Korea more relaxing! :D

Simon
kennedia

POSTER_ID:16867783

Send a message

Post by anthonyjoo
I think the same, but one of the suggestion I would like to raise along above issue are as below:
1. ~대로 (DaeRo, Blvd) - Mostly the main roads and requires English names.
2. ~로 (Ro, St) - Same as above as these type of the road are used often.
3. ~길 (Gil, Rd) - I really do not take these to be necessary as they are more of alley type roads and doesn't bothered much by the road laws unless Einbahnstraße (One-way).

Also, the road numbers are used in between the Korean and the Englisch, why not name them in front of both language as they can be identified quickly by both Korean and foreigners?

So these are the examples I've been having thoughts about:
1. ~대로 (DaeRo, Blvd)
Type: Major Highway
Example: (1)경기대로 GyeongGi-DaeRo(Blvd)
- Leave the Englisch names as they are one of the key and main roads for everyone to identify
- Also its names appear not to be as long and can be fit into one line in the mobile applications.
2. ~로 (Ro, St)
Type: Primary Street
Example: 개포로 GaePo-Ro(St)
- Also Englisch names are required as these type of road are mainly used within each region.
3. ~길 (Gil, Rd)
Type: Normal Street
Example: 영신로8길
- The names are mostly longer than 8 characters and when translated into Korean, they seem to go off the screen.
- Seeing how they *mostly* contain roman numerics within the names, my guesses are it would be better to leave only Korean as anyone can identify the roman numerics easily.

Thanks and any type of feedback is appreciated, have a great night!
anthonyjoo
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by blueguy
Dear Simon

Firstly, I appreciate your effort in map editing.

Here are the answers to your question

1. Numbered roads ONLY have Korean

- Because, Some Korean Wazers thought that the road name is too long in Waze client if the roads have English after the Korean. We have already discussed.
viewtopic.php?f=319&t=47977

- Thus, I think that the roads which have shield parenthesis and road number do not need English road name

2. That is Korean government's effort to help foreigner :)
I guess that you are the one of few foreign resident who knows the meaning of -ro, -daero and -gil
I hope that you can translate the article below
http://news.naver.com/main/read.nhn?mod ... 0002435564

3. I hope that the following map editing practice should be an answer

- How Waze determines turn / keep / exit maneuvers
https://www.waze.com/wiki/How_Waze_dete ... _maneuvers

- Single point urban interchange(SPUI)
https://www.waze.com/wiki/Limited_Acces ... .28SPUI.29

- I am planning to edit Korean wiki section for Map editing rules of SPUI
Here is the example
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... 49&env=row

- Unfortunately, there is no expression "exit(in navigation)" in Korean
Domestic navigation always uses expression "keep"

- Although I have 20 years of driving experience in Seoul, I also go the wrong way :)
In think that your experiences are mainly due to the complexity of road network of Korea

blueguy
blueguy
Send a message

Post by shilto-san
to meet in the middle couldn't all the roads be labeled like "Hannam-daero" instead of "한남대로"? This way both Korean Speakers and Non Korean Speakers could understand.
shilto-san
Send a message