Level 5 unlock request for Woodstock, Cape Town

Please add a permalink of the segments you wish to unlock

Moderators: DarthGeffen, elphix

Re: Level 5 unlock request for Woodstock, Cape Town

Postby Kuhlkatz » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:16 pm

RodNav wrote:With my spare fitted I went home in disgust, not having reached any of the towns I mentioned previously :shock:

Rod, you should know that Africa's not for sissies, boet. ;)
Next time convince the laaitie to take the drive with you - that way if you get stuck, you at least have help AND you can spend the time 'bonding'.

With Tapatalk on the phone, the wife says I now look just like my kids, and they are permanently on BBM :?

P.S. Are there any tournaments up this way that you'd be covering in the near future ?
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
(HTC One, Android 5.0.2, v7.19.401.51)
[ img ]
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Level 5 unlock request for Woodstock, Cape Town

Postby LeighGr » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:41 pm

Will someone please unlock the offramp off Nelson Mandela Blvd onto Melbourne Rd. Dropping the lock level to 4 will also work.

It appears that changes were made a couple of weeks ago, at least to the onramp, but the offramp was locked back in December. There is a UR where the driver was directed down the offramp, and then immediately back onto Nelson Mandela Blvd, probably in crawling traffic. One of those routing engine hiccups, but it's only following what the humans said it was allowed to do. :)

What I'd do here is have both ramps join Melbourne Rd at a single junction, with a turn restriction preventing offramp traffic back onto the onramp, in a half bowtie layout.

Thoughts, comments?
Leigh Greyling
Redmi 8, Android 10.0.0, Waze: Whatever the latest beta is!
LC: South Africa
CM: Southern Africa
LeighGr
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby LeighGr » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:56 am

Thanks RodNav.

Outbound ramps updated.

I was checking to see that the same wouldn't occur on the inbound ramp on the other side of the N2, below the Holiday Inn, only to find it could be possible. I don't think this locked offramp should have the right turn allowed onto Upper Melbourne Rd.

I'm sure there are clowns that do turn right here, but don't believe it would be safe to do so.

The fact that there are two street segments between the off and on ramps should create a high enough penalty to prevent the routing engine from suggesting this route, but wouldn't bet on it never happening.
Leigh Greyling
LeighGr
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby LeighGr » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:55 am

Thanks RodNav.
Enjoy the drive. Looks like the weather is clearing up a bit for you.
Leigh Greyling
LeighGr
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby LeighGr » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:34 pm

Eish, one of those days! Sorry to hear of all your misadventures. Each time I looked out the window, I couldn't work out whether the weather was clearing or closing in.
Last time I was in Aurora was in the early '90s, visiting Kapteinskop, the SAAF remote radome, as part of our radar training. It took me a while to find Aurora on the map again. That's quite a trip you had planned, and then having to limp back!
Leigh Greyling
LeighGr
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby RodNav » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:35 pm

Lock set to Level 4.

Funny enough, I recently edited Coronation Rd and Chester Rd on the other side of the N2 because of new one way streets, and planned to do exactly what you've suggested to prevent just such a routing issue. For whatever reason, I didn't get to it, and now it has actually happened!

So I guess my thoughts/comments are for you to do exactly what you've described...
Country Manager for South Africa.
LG G2 (aka LG-D802), Android 4.4.2
[ img ]
RodNav
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby RodNav » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:48 am

I'm pretty sure that the right turn isn't allowed. It certainly would be very dangerous as it is basically a U-turn just after leaving a freeway. I would say restrict it, and I've dropped it to Level 4 for you. But it does mean that when a clown :mrgreen: turns right we might get automatic Map Problem reports, but we can just mark them solved if that happens.

The penalty for the junction does not actually apply if there is no decision to be made at a junction, in other words, when only two segments are joined. So in this case there won't be a penalty. I came across this info somewhere in the forums.

I see that waze's old system of adjusting the lock according to a user's increase in rank is still causing problems!

I'm now off for a long drive up the N7/West Coast areas to places like Aurora, Redelinhuys, Eendekuil, etc. Why? Because I discovered them thanks to waze editing and I want to see them for real!
[ img ]
RodNav
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby RodNav » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:36 pm

Well, the trip turn out to be not so enjoyable :(
I was on a gravel road and as I came over a slight mound there was a deep furrow caused by the recent rain, with rocks exposed. I have damaged both front rims and after a few km of driving the left wheel went flat. The wheel was stuck and, with my arm still a bit weak from my recent operation I couldn't remove it. Then the weather decided to have a go at me, and I spent a while sitting in the car to shelter from the rain, before I was lucky enough to flag down a car (I think I only saw about 5 or 6 in the time I was stuck there), and the large chap was able to get it loose with great difficulty!
With my spare fitted I went home in disgust, not having reached any of the towns I mentioned previously :shock:
I am busy mapping Koringberg at the moment - the only 'new' town I went through.
[ img ]
RodNav
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby RodNav » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:15 pm

Yup, I had been looking forward to the trip, after spending many long days in a TV studio (working in the control room).
I'm quite disappointed that I never got to the places I wanted to.
[ img ]
RodNav
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby RodNav » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:59 pm

Kuhlkatz wrote:
RodNav wrote:With my spare fitted I went home in disgust, not having reached any of the towns I mentioned previously :shock:

Rod, you should know that Africa's not for sissies, boet. ;)
Next time convince the laaitie to take the drive with you

You do realize that my 'laaitie' is just taller than me and probably weighs as much as me? :D
P.S. Are there any tournaments up this way that you'd be covering in the near future ?

Nothing until Nov, maybe end of Oct, unfortunately. Unless some other sport needs me, but generally they try to not fly guys around unnecessarily.

But some good news, the rims are repairable for around R200 per rim. Much less than my insurance excess would be! But a mystery is why my spare wheel also has a dented rim!! I must have really hit the rocks hard!

Oops, we're getting a bit off-topic here, I've been thinking we were PMing, but then again I don't think there are many of us visiting this part of the forum anyway. :P
[ img ]
RodNav
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Return to SA Unlock / Road Closure Requests