Please add a permalink of the segments you wish to unlock

Level 5 unlock request for Diepwater, Cape Town

Post by LeighGr
Please drop the lock level of this segment of Hindle Rd to 4. I was battling to get the eastern side of the intersection to allow a left turn into Inez Ave, as there was no valid route westbound off Hindle Rd, as even the garage offramp was also blocked.

I'd check the eastern side of Hindle Rd, Wesbank Rd and Inez Ave, and none were locked, so I thought it was one of those funnies where you have to disconnect and reconnect the segment to get it working, so that's what I did. Only then did I discover the western side of Hindle was locked.

Still puzzled as to why that locked segment should prevent me from allowing westbound traffic on Hindle Rd to turn left into Inez Ave.
LeighGr
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

POSTER_ID:7725087

Send a message
Leigh Greyling
Redmi 8, Android 10.0.0, Waze: Whatever the latest beta is!
LC: South Africa
CM: Southern Africa

Post by Kuhlkatz
Leigh,

I dunno what you are using for that permalink, but the hash (#) sign in it causes issues.
I have reduced the whole section of Hindle to 4.
While you are busy in the area, you may want to simplify / fix the two traffic circles to the west at Hindle / Delft Main Rd and Orange / Eindhoven and Delft Main Rd. They have some soft turns enabled and Revcons, and would certainly give better instructions if the entry / exits are not dualed.

Cheers
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
(HTC One, Android 5.0.2, v7.19.401.51)
[img]https:///DwNb3R[/img]
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing

Post by Kuhlkatz
LeighGr wrote:On a slight aside, what causes the Revcons, as I can't figure out where they come from? I've tried on a few occassions to created one, to work out what causes them, but have got there yet. I've seen a junction of two segments, with 8 Revcons?? Another with three segments with 12 Revcons! How do they get that right?
The Permalink could be from a shortcut used to start WME that already contains a # after the URL. This will just append the normal bits about lat / lon , layers & selected segments to the end of it, leaving the hash in place. As long as we can figure out where it is, I'm not too fussed. Some of the other editors refuse to assist if the URL is screwed, but locally I think we are slightly less fullo'crap.

Revcons and selfcons usually happen when segment directions are changed AFTER explicitly setting turn restrictions. Most segments are layed in the direction of travel, so you'll never notice them. If you lay a one way street & Q/W all intersections, you'll get Selfcons if you reverse the one-way direction and not Q/W all the junctions again. It just means that turns are allowed from other segments contra the actual destination segment direction. Selfcons allows traffic on the same one-way segment to turn back onto itself, sort of like an enabled u-turn in a one way street.
It has been the reason for some very funky routing before, where Wazers were actually routed the wrong way up one-way streets as the penalties incurred here was less than other penalties involved.

As we did not have a basemap import, it's better to Q/W all junctions, and then explicitly set turns that are not allowed. This kills all soft turns and explicitly sets them as hard. Once a segment is edited, Waze stops 'learning' traffic flow & allowed turn directions. In basemapped countries this works well, but in our case we mostly do update it after creation by either setting names or directionality or whatever, so I believe we HAVE to set it properly. If not set, all soft turns are allowed in every direction which could be against what is actually allowed, which potentially could also screw routing.
I still use JNF to fix the soft turns & self/revcons, but that's just a matter of personal preference.

Cheers
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
(HTC One, Android 5.0.2, v7.19.401.51)
[img]https:///DwNb3R[/img]
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing

Post by LeighGr
Thanks Carel.

My bad for not checking the link before posting this morning. I see what you mean about the hash. That explains a few things, though I'll have to work out what causes it, as sometimes the permalink zoom in, and other times not. I only work on one computer, always using Firefox (Chrome on Ubuntu sucks) but think it's related to which addons load, or don't as the case may be, as OyyoDams had an issue with his WME Toolbox script a few weeks ago, and I had the same problem with Permalinks.

I'll work my way through the whole Delft area, removing all the split roundabout approaches.

On a slight aside, what causes the Revcons, as I can't figure out where they come from? I've tried on a few occassions to created one, to work out what causes them, but have got there yet. I've seen a junction of two segments, with 8 Revcons?? Another with three segments with 12 Revcons! How do they get that right?
LeighGr
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Leigh Greyling

Post by LeighGr
Thanks for that detailed explanation. Now that I know what creates them, I'll know not to create them myself, though JNF does a good job of highlighting them, along with the U-turns that probably shouldn't be enabled.

Your explanation of the screwed up permalink was definitely me, as I copied the URL from the browser! Now I know not to do that, but rather copy the permalink location. Obviously I have days when the brain works, and others when it doesn't. Today is one of the latter.
LeighGr
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Leigh Greyling